Spoilers On Seven and sexuality

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by rfmcdpei, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone always says this is not the time era when it comes to everything looking more advance on shows like STD so I 2ould say the same here. This is a 21st century trek production so it should not look this amateurish especially when professionals who have worked in multi million dollar projects backed by studios are heading this. TNG of 30 years ago had better effects then what we saw here. DS9 Starfleet Armada that went after the Dominion looked a thousand of times better than what we got here. Well I can say this Kurtzmans Trek products strengthen the superiority of TOS and the Berman era of Trek for sure.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Qonundrum and DS9forever like this.
  2. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

I don't think PIC looks amateurish. It has a different aesthetic to TNG, which makes sense, because it's not aiming to be TNG mark 2.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it looks amateurish. I think it looks different, but I chalked that up to difference of technology.

I don't think the ships were the emphasis of Picard, so I have no issue with how it looked. It served the purpose of the story. :shrug:

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Get out of here with that real world crap! This is STAR TREK! Where we don't use real world stuff....

...except when we do.

Oh, wait...

5. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oops. A accidentally deleted my post when I was trying to edit it.:ouch:
    Christmas/Fairy lights are used for decorative accent lighting in the real world.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ceiling lights in the club you incorrectly identified as christmas/fairy lights are pendent lights which are also used in the real world.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:lol:

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

speak for your self, my wife and I had a pretty good weekend so far

SolarisOne likes this.
  7. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I really doubt miniature Christmas tree lights will be in style 350 years from now.
    The look of the show is important. Even TOS when it was made was considered expensive and well done. It looked clean and simple but still functional. Even today certain aspects still look futuristic. Picard could have been something unique and separate from discovery but they decided to use the same cgi models and bridge designs. I can’t tell the difference between the two eras. It’s terrible.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

ThreeEdgedSword and cosmic mouse like this.
  9. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Qonundrum and Hythlodeus like this.
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Generally the show looked really good IMO but the Fleet of ships did look really bad. Actually everything kind of looked bad in those last two episodes. I wonder if they just ran out of money.

Jason

Qonundrum and DS9forever like this.
  11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw this the other day.

I guess Picard is not just a nerd thing.

12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

How about an aesthetic that feels in-universe as well as making it its own?

The cut'n'paste spaceship doesn't inspire much, having 100 or 1000 of them only compounds the over the top silliness. This isn't The Orville or Doctor Who from 2005.

The warp-in effect looks right out of Star Wars. Why is Star Trek copping Star Wars effects styles? Is PIC not Star Wars mark 2?

At least "The Big Bang Theory" continues in the same spirit in other shows. :guffaw:

But some people do reconsider orientations at different points in life. Not many, but some do. Other details in the story's plot/narrative were already explained by some YT channels, some better than others, but the basic concept of questioning one's self is solid.

13. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

It's a matter of perspective isn't it? I have no issue with the look and feel of PIC. It feels like Star Trek to me, just done a little differently.

14. Qonundrum

Rendering costs are quite expensive on top of everything else; the ship design and "camera" used for panning were simple enough, and with limited gamut and shadow detail - but a zillion of those still adds up to more rendering cycles. It could easily have looked worse.

15. Qonundrum

Oh, a lot of it did look quite good. I'm just more into quality over quantity. I was laughing at Attack of the Clones (nice title) with the distance shots of all the red and blue and green laser sword lights whirling about that weren't conducive of awe and spectacle but still had a look of "Hi there, I'm generic" to them. That doesn't mean people shouldn't like them and to be fair, even back then, it took a ton of time to set up those effects - which are still impressive on of themselves to sit there and do all that, frame by frame, 24 frames per second, etc.

Even with a zillion ships, time to put every ship into place and animate start and end node points... it's very time consuming and detail-oriented and still impressive on a number of levels, even if not everyone likes the end result to the same degree.

16. Jayson1

If they were true fans they would have referenced Jadzia Dax as well. It's time pop culture starts celebrating DS9!

Jason

17. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a huge DS9 fan, but... NO.
    No, they really wouldn't have. Rejoined, despite what it may have been advertised at the time, was about two people who had been heterosexually married in another life and happened to be still in love with each other. At least this reading is suggested. While the kiss was lovely, I'm not sure LGBT culture is obliged to count this as representaion.

And I'm not even biting re: "If they were real fans"... I thought we leave that stuff to those cliques?

ETA and OT: I had watched the first season of ODAAT and enjoyed it; has the acting always been that bad or has it deteriorated?

MrPicard likes this.
  18. Jayson1

Actually I was just making a joke. DS9 is my favorite or second favorite Trek. :)

Jason

19. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, I totally didn't get it, LOL!

It's my favorite, too.

Jayson1 and Danja like this.
  20. Jayson1

As you know the best jokes are the ones you got to explain afterwards why they are funny.:)

Jason