Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

Five and done is now de facto official P+ policy.

Well, no, it's not. There has been no official statement that this is the case, because that's a nebulous statement to make. If a show sucks for the first two seasons, are they obligated to make three more? No. If a show is a ratings powerhouse for five seasons, are they obligated to cancel it anyway? No.

It's completely arbitrary, other than how much money the show is or is not making, or how expensive it is to produce in contrast to the revenue it makes.

Well, no, it's not. There has been no official statement that this is the case, because that's a nebulous statement to make. If a show sucks for the first two seasons, are they obligated to make three more? No. If a show is a ratings powerhouse for five seasons, are they obligated to cancel it anyway? No.

It's completely arbitrary, other than how much money the show is or is not making, or how expensive it is to produce in contrast to the revenue it makes.

Five and done (at the absolute maximum).

Netflix is cutting off Stranger Things after five seasons. You have to pull the plug SOMETIME (There's no one more arbitrary than Netflix. They are the epitome of arbitrary.)

Five and done (at the absolute maximum).

Netflix is cutting off Stranger Things after five seasons. You have to pull the plug SOMETIME (There's no one more arbitrary than Netflix. They are the epitome of arbitrary.)

Is every streaming show ending at 5 seasons?

Is every streaming show ending at 5 seasons?

Give or take a season or two.

Power Book II and Power Book III have both been renewed for season four.

Starz's strategy is to go for 3-4 seasons and then crank out a spinoff.

Starz CEO On Developing Replacements For Shows As They Become More Expensive After 3-4 Seasons:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/lionsgate-starz-ceo-content-costs-series-power-bmf-1235856002/

Five seasons seems to be about the maximum for a streaming show.

It's cheaper to create a new show than to renew an existing show indefinitely. </broken record>

Last edited:
Netflix is cutting off Stranger Things after five seasons.

Tbf, the Stranger Things cast is aging out of their roles, so ending it at five makes sense.

No one is in danger of aging out of their roles in a Trek show.

No is in danger of aging out of their roles if the show is animated, Trek or otherwise.

It all boils down to budget and what is prioritized.

Congratulations to Terry Matalas. Interesting timing as well what with the SFA and Simon Kinberg news yesterday.

2023 was nice at least. He was never gonna sit around doing nothing and waiting for the suits at Paramount to do something.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 20th Century Studios / Hulu streaming movie project in the pipeline as well. Building out his resume with higher budget projects just helps make the case for Legacy with him at the helm down the line.

cqgyGNO.gif

He might still come back as an EP (it's not uncommon for producers to work on several projects at the same time).

Some of his ideas for Legacy were for the birds (At one point, he'd conceived the show as an anthology series. Swapping out the E-G crew for "I wonder what's happening on Bajor this week"? Hard pass.)

I'm not a member of the Cult of TerryTrek. :shifty: Post-2005 Trek is not so irredeemably awful that it took him riding to the rescue to "save" it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I suppose they could make the show without him. But I suspect with him on team Disney now it probably kills whatever chance there was.

I suppose they could make the show without him. But I suspect with him on team Disney now it probably kills whatever chance there was.

He can still be an Executive Producer.

It's not uncommon for Producers to work on several projects at once.

Back