Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

How much does P+ want to bother after the strike?
Why wouldn't they? They're going ahead with Section 31 and Starfleet: Academy. Lower Decks is making it to atleast 5 seasons. Paramount+ is still in the Star Trek business. Strange New Worlds has been a success with both critics and and viewing numbers. Why would they not milk it for all they can?

2026 will be the 60th Anniversary. There's no way they won't do something TOS-related. SNW is the closest thing to it. So, if for no other reason, I think SNW will make it to at least however many seasons it takes to get to 2026.

2026 will be the 60th Anniversary. There's no way they won't do something TOS-related. SNW is the closest thing to it. So, if for no other reason, I think SNW will make it to at least however many seasons it takes to get to 2026.
It would be rather fitting to see The Enterprise handed over to Kirk during the 60th Anniversary.

Why wouldn't they? They're going ahead with Section 31 and Starfleet: Academy. Lower Decks is making it to atleast 5 seasons. Paramount+ is still in the Star Trek business. Strange New Worlds has been a success with both critics and and viewing numbers. Why would they not milk it for all they can?

Same reason Disco was cancelled: Money.

As time goes on, Trek's live action shows become more expensive to produce. Lower Decks is a lot less expensive to produce than SNW, so it'll probably go on for a while.

P+ killed Disco and Yellowstone after five seasons. They're nothing if not ruthless about cancelling shows after five seasons (especially when they have newer, cheaper stuff in the pipeline).

It would be rather fitting to see The Enterprise handed over to Kirk during the 60th Anniversary.

What about Number One?

Kirk's only a Lieutenant right now.

Same reason Disco was cancelled: Money.

As time goes on, Trek's live action shows become more expensive to produce. Lower Decks is a lot less expensive to produce than SNW, so it'll probably go on for a while.
SNW Scenario 1
Season 1 - 2022
Season 2 - 2023
Season 3 - 2025 (I'm assuming we can write off 2024)
Season 4 - 2026

SNW Scenario 2

Season 1 - 2022
Season 2 - 2023
Season 3 - Late-2024/Early-2025
Season 4 - Fall 2025 (shorter gap between seasons than usual)
Season 5 - Fall 2026

I can't see P+ pulling a Disco and cancelling SNW after S3. They might give it one more season after that to wrap things up (Five seasons is pushing it.)
Doesn't what you said line up with what I just said? ;)

Yellowstone's prequel series 1823 has just concluded. Its sequel 1923 is ongoing. P+ has 6666 in development (the show is set at the Four Sixes ranch).

There's no shortage of new Yellowstone content coming out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_(American_TV_series)

Paramount has another Star Trek AOS film in development (it's been in turnaround since 2016). They may try to push for that as the 60th anniversary standard-bearer (along with Starfleet Academy).

Last edited:
What about Number One?

Kirk's only a Lieutenant right now.

What about her? We know that Kirk took over the Enterprise from Pike. For whatever reason, she never became Captain of the Enterprise.

I like to think she's eventually given command of a different ship and she takes La'an and Erica with her.

What about her? We know that Kirk took over the Enterprise from Pike. For whatever reason, she never became Captain of the Enterprise.

I like to think she's eventually given command of a different ship and she takes La'an and Erica with her.

Alex Kurtzman may want to shake stuff up (and give her command of the Enterprise).

If they can have Nurse Chapel swing both ways, they can have Number One in command.

Alex Kurtzman may want to shake stuff up (and give her command of the Enterprise).

If they can have Nurse Chapel swing both ways, they can have Number One in command.
But... Chapel being bi in SNW doesn't contradict anying seen of her in TOS.

Whereas giving Una the Enterprise would be a major contradiction.

Two things:

1. Kirk was to be promoted to First Officer of the Farragut with the rank of Lieutenant Commander, and was shadowing Pike and Number One on the Enterprise in order to get training for the position (and give more excuses for Kirk to appear in SNW ;)).

2. Number One's people, the Illyrians, have genetic engineering. Which means Starfleet Command will come up with an excuse to not promote her to Captain. The Federation's attitudes on this issue are still the same, even by the time of DS9. This is what I think they'll go with.

They could throw a curveball (I would welcome such a curveball so it doesn't look like SNW is just waiting around for TOS), but something's going to happen where Kirk ultimately ends up in command. This is a prequel. That's what has to happen.

Another alternative: Number One becomes Captain, Kirk transfers over and becomes her first officer, but she's only Captain for a short time. Something happens to her. Then Kirk becomes Captain.

EDITED TO ADD: But anyway. Back to Picard and Legacy. I'm going to remain hopeful until the middle of 2024. Even with the strikes over, with holidays happening, it's going to be until January before everyone's completely back on their feet. If we're still not hearing anything by July, not even a whisper of something, then I'll start wondering if Legacy won't be a thing. Until then, nothing concrete to say it will be but nothing concrete to say it won't be (future tense) either.

DSC Season 2 was released in 2019, but SNW didn't come out until 2022. So I always have that in the back of my mind when thinking about Legacy. I'd have to look back but, I'm pretty sure SNW "wasn't a thing" yet at this point in 2019 either. When was the first official, public announcement?

Last edited:
Another alternative: Number One becomes Captain, Kirk transfers over and becomes her first officer, but she's only Captain for a short time. Something happens to her. Then Kirk becomes Captain.

EDITED TO ADD: But anyway. Back to Picard and Legacy. I'm going to remain hopeful until the middle of 2024. Even with the strikes over, with holidays happening, it's going to be until January before everyone's completely back on their feet. If we're still not hearing anything by July, not even a whisper of something, then I'll start wondering if Legacy won't be a thing. Until then, nothing concrete to say it will be but nothing concrete to say it won't be (future tense) either.

DSC Season 2 was released in 2019, but SNW didn't come out until 2022. So I always have that in the back of my mind when thinking about Legacy. I'd have to look back but, I'm pretty sure SNW "wasn't a thing" yet at this point in 2019 either. When was the first official, public announcement?

May 15, 2020.

(SNW S2 ended its original run on April 18, 2019.)

2. Number One's people, the Illyrians, have genetic engineering. Which means Starfleet Command will come up with an excuse to not promote her to Captain. The Federation's attitudes on this issue are still the same, even by the time of DS9. This is what I think they'll go with.

They could throw a curveball (I would welcome such a curveball so it doesn't look like SNW is just waiting around for TOS), but something's going to happen where Kirk ultimately ends up in command. This is a prequel. That's what has to happen.

TNG made an exception for Data. "Picard" got rid of the ban on synths after JL saved the day.

If Number One ends up saving the galaxy, they could make an exception for her.

I'd hate to see the woman fridged just to promote Kirk. :mad:

I'd hate to see the woman fridged just to promote Kirk.

Why does she need to be fridged? She could be made Captain of a different Starship. Hell, with the losses that Starfleet took during the Klingon was, it's a wonder she, an experienced command officer, hasn't already been made Captain of a Ship.

Why does she need to be fridged? She could be made Captain of a different Starship. Hell, with the losses that Starfleet took during the Klingon was, it's a wonder she, an experienced command officer, hasn't already been made Captain of a Ship.
She was briefly of the Archer class scout ship in Season 1, so I would imagine she might end up with another ship.

TNG made an exception for Data. "Picard" got rid of the ban on synths after JL saved the day.

If Number One ends up saving the galaxy, they could make an exception for her.

I'd hate to see the woman fridged just to promote Kirk. :mad:
I could be totally wrong, but I think the "something happens" is she goes back to Illyria.

That's my guess as well, @Lord Garth. Though, captaincy aboard another vessel (a cool one, of course!) would also work. I think they've sowed the seeds for either course, though I suspect they've more or less decided which route to take provided they're given the chance to take it.

Back