Spoilers New York Comic-Con Season 4 Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trailers for Season 2 and 3 mostly contained footage from the first 6 episodes. I agree that the Anomaly is probably encountered very early on and dealt with in the first half of the season. I don't think the anomaly is going to be a season long mystery box like so many people think.

Remember how we all totally managed to successfully predict the cause of the Burn? Yeah, me either. I think the same thing is going to happen this season, where we think the focus is going to be on A but then along comes Z to subvert our expectations and predictions.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Discovery so far has tended to do a big reveal and pace change mid season so I reckon the anomaly is just the catalyst that points to a bigger or more complex threat.

Or being Discovery the anomaly turns out to be Burnham's father :nyah:

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Slow and boring doesn't mean bad, unimaginative, uncreative writing. This problem goes back to the first season, where an entire war was started and finished within a single season, with no build up.

4. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Bigger and more complex? Okay. They discover the anomaly is merely the embryonic form of a new Universe. Unless they find a way to nudge this embryo out of our spacetime, it will birth a new big bang and DESTROY THE UNIVERSE.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saru farted on Kaminar in 2258. 900 years later, his fart has evolved into THE ANOMALY

6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Serialization does not have to equal "epic stakes." I mean, there were no epic stakes in say The Wire or Mad Men. Even serialized genre shows can have relatively low stakes. Most of the early seasons of Game of Thrones, for example.

I think the overall problem is honestly they are winging it here - that there is little in the way of a longer-term plan. If they had a long-term plan, they could set up a longer-form arc that played out over say five seasons, with each season acting as an "act" in a grand play. But without that, they're basically scrambling to come up with something brand new each season. Honestly it's the same issue that Voyager or Enterprise had, except instead of episode-by-episode, it's season by season.

I'm sure there is footage from other episodes here and there. Things like the battle with the Qowat Milat almost certainly come from later episodes. But I don't see how the initial episode won't establish the anomaly and contain some high-octane action (probably involving the rough ride through space) - because Discovery always likes to start with a bang.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  7. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Summed up nicely. Don't forget every line out of Burnham's mouth being a grandiose cliched statement.

Speaking of nonsense cliche, Wilson Cruz's explanation for the season:

8. eschaton

Eh, as long as we actually get a few episodes which are primarily told from the POV of someone other than Michael again, I will be happy.

9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I take it you wont be watching then?

10. lightspeedbear

I'll give it a try like I do each season, in the hopes that the writing, characters and visuals improve. Bits and pieces of the show occasionally hit home for me, but it's pretty rare sadly.

11. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the increasing escalation of galaxy wide threats, the only way to go for next season would be Discovery fighting God (oh wait, that was already done in Star Trek 5--now what will the writers do?)

12. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My prediction is that the anomaly will take up a few episodes at the start of the season, they'll forget about it because the show will then move on to other unrelated stories. Over the course of the middle portion of the season, it will get mentioned here and there in a scene or two, and then bring the anomaly into full focus for the last two episodes or so. It will then be resolved through a series of shortcuts and off-screen handwaving.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  13. eschaton

The best stakes are personal, not global, which is why Season 2 worked better in a lot of ways than the other seasons - it was directly related to Michael, even if in a very tortured ay.

Jadeb likes this.
  14. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He presents it like it's some groundbreaking or compelling thing, something that Star Trek has never done before. And that's the main reason why I can't watch panels with this cast. They truly think they're exploring new territory and really knocking it out of the park.

lightspeedbear likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I look forward to Michael's growth.

16. lightspeedbear

100%. It's truly painful hearing the cast talk about this show, especially Cruz and SMG.

17. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they're just very good actors. ;)
    Burnham: Q, where is the anomaly?!
    Q: Where's your mommy? Well I don't know.
    Burnham: She's not still on Ni'var?
    Q: Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  18. eschaton

No one is going to talk shit about the show they are on, and NDAs which stop spoilers more or less stop them from saying anything actually substantial.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's PR fluff. Who cares what they think? No one will believe them anyway.

Commander Troi and burningoil like this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

You're confusing "slow and boring" with "slow and deliberate". Better Call Saul is slow and deliberate. It happens to be one of my favorite shows. It's also telling its story across six seasons. Discovery obviously decided to tell its stories at a rate of one overarching story per season. If you're going to have a beginning, middle, and end in a span of 13 episodes, there's only so much you can do.

How do you propose to have a build-up to and resolution of a Klingon War in a single season? Which happens to be the first season. How about Section 31 in Season 2 or The Burn in Season 3?

"Errand of Mercy" (TOS) had no build-up to a Klingon War, but most people accepted that war was inevitable right from the first teaser. The writers of the 1960s assumed that people were smart enough that one line of dialogue would be enough for people to understand. And it's been understood that the threat of war with the Klingons was a constant throughout TOS and its movies. It's something Trekkies have understood for decades.

You don't need build-up to a Klingon War in the 23rd Century. The general assumption is that tension and hostilities with the Klingons was the default environment. That's the main point of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country! If you're doing a series in the 23rd Century, this is what it is. Peace and friendship with the Klingons would need to be explained. Not the other way around.

PS: It's interesting that when people complain about DSC, somehow it usually ties back to the first season. That's how far back you really have to go to make your point work?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    PiotrB likes this.