New Phaser and Rifle Revealed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Gibberish, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of the placement of the trigger. Looks really easy to accidentally push.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something like this could have also worked better.
    [​IMG]

3. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The phasers of the JJverse movies were some of the better props. I'm a bit confused about the trigger though - how are you supposed to pull that? This is an invitation to accidentally shooting someone at gun point!

I like th DIS-ones because they are soo close to the TOS pasers. I think my favourite ones might be the ones from the TOS movies, especialle ST II and III (also, the TUC ones). Basically I prefer all of these fancy 60s/70s stylish ones over the weirdly shaped cobra-phasers from the TNG-era onward.

Kor likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just a technical questions: Are these renders in those videos or the real props? I honestly can't tell. :lol:

5. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. This one looks too much like a real gun. I think it crosses the line from 'realistic' to 'not escapist enough for a space opera'.

cultcross likes this.
  6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They look real to me, but CGI is so good these days, there's no way to know.

Michael likes this.
  7. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Meh---Kinda happy with exactly what we have.

Markonian, Mad Jack Wolfe and Kor like this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the phaser pistol, very reminiscent of TOS, complete with what looks like the Type 1 attached to the top. The phaser rifle, I'm less enthused about. It just looks like a hodge-podge of various other rifles from the other shows.

9. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

First impression.. mostly liking it. Sturdy with almost a camera lens look. It looks like it 'fits' the era.

KennyB likes this.
  10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Fans like seeing aspects of the show like iconic props. Good marketing so far.

Psion likes this.
  11. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Wow, the communicator and now this are really hitting the right look. Why are so many other things so "off"? The Klingons and the look of the Shenzhou feel like they're from a totally different series.

Longinus likes this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully this is a totally different series. Star Trek needs a fresh perspective.

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

+1

(Why spend time writing the same thing ;))

Campe likes this.
  14. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Keep it coming! Great stuff this week. Like the designs. Want more.

KennyB likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would not go running around with one of those phaser rifles during Trick or Treat. One could find themselves on the wrong end of a cops bullet. :eek:

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Communicators maybe; but the ST: D communicators may have much longer range.

As for the ENT Phase Pistol; its larger and bulkier; so I could see the ST: D Hand Phaser as an advancement over the ENT Phase Pistols.

KennyB likes this.
  17. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

I'm mostly sure that these are renders. They probably make the 3D models first before having the prop-masters build them and are much easier to make these promo videos with than filming an actual physical model. When I was learning how to model in school my teacher said that 90% of the cars you seen in ads are renders because advertising wants to be in complete control of how the car looks on-screen down to how light reflects off the surface of a curve, so that imperfections in the car are never seen.

But damn, they look pretty real though. After learning to model, I don't believe anything I see anywhere anymore, haha. The insignia video I am fairly certain is a 3d model made with Cinema 4d.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much sums up my feelings of the overall USS Kelvin aesthetic, from uniforms to starship to phasers.

Maybe from ENT to "Cage" or USS Kelvin, but from Kelvin to Discovery? I don't think it works as well. That said, I do like this concept post-ENT.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Oh, I think this design is absolutely charming.

I want one of these. Also the communicator.

I haven't bought Trekkie merchandise in decades.

20. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Why would they make these so faithful to TOS era and abandon TOS design cues in the uniforms and ship (Shenzou) and just about everything else. If we didn't already see Lorca in the chair in uniform, I'd think they might have been misleading us regarding the final uniforms and not shown DSC's yet. Too much to hope for.
    I love the design but it doesn't fit the with more Kelvin look we're seeing elsewhere. Not as bad as the cotillion-gowned Klingon debutantes at least.