New Making of TMP book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Jul 18, 2014.

1. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Ah, OK.

2. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

ME WANT NOW! :)

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Beautiful, indeed. I am so looking forward to getting my notification that it is in the mail.

5. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very true. But the difference between having a physical copy and a virtual one should still give rise to some discount in price shouldn't it? In contrast to the initial statement, anyway.

Regardless, I am also waiting eagerly for my copy! Sadly, being in the UK I suspect I will have to wait a while longer.

7. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

The problem with that is that to some people, having a physical copy is a boon over virtual that's worth extra price, while to others, having a virtual copy is a boon over physical that's worth extra price. There is no clear economic "better" or "worse" that would come into play price-wise; some people prefer the physical sensations and permanency, others prefer the lessened space and increased portability.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In this case, since it's being sold direct from the publisher, there isn't.

For books sold via the general distribution channels, the publisher gets a bigger cut of the ebook price from the retailer. (70%, versus 65% or less of the print copy.) And they don't need to deal with warehousing/returns.

All in all, assuming identical royalty amounts for the author, the publisher needs to charge less in order to make the same amount of money; unfortunately few of them actually do so, at least for "mass market" titles.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  9. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Did you mean to reply to me or to Christopher? He was the one talking about publisher economic considerations towards price; I was talking about consumer economic considerations.

10. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Is there any way we can contact the creators of this book and perhaps encourage them to put this up digitally as well? I mean, the book would already have to exist digitally in order for it to have been printed. That copy would just have to be exported to a computer friendly format. I would happily buy a digital copy.

11. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the ease at which electronic files are subject to copying and piracy, I would expect that the athors would like to get the largest return on their efforts before considering a virtual version. It would be nice, though.

Quite true I suppose; the buyer always has the final say over what the "right" price is for a given item.

12. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

But if they make a digital version available doesn't that negate the value of the "limited to a 1000 copies"? The advertising marketed this as something special and of only a limited run and so for collectors that means "rare" and as time goes by the possibility if the book becoming more valuable having such a limited run.

Kevin

13. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I don't see how. Only making more hard copies would seem to me to be the way to "negate" the value of the initial limited 1000 copies.

It could be worse. Anyone remember the debacle with Playmates' exclusive action figures? Ugh, no thanks.

14. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

And this was just shared by my friend and colleague, Lukas Kendall, on facebook:

"Hello friends, the oral history of ST:TMP is back from the printers and will start shipping on Monday. I want to give a little background on what this is, assuming this is the friendliest forum to do so...in 1979-80 Preston Jones interviewed just about everyone involved in the making of ST:TMP for what was supposed to be a cover story for Cinefantastique. It never got printed, and became a legendary unpublished book of Trek documentation. Flash forward some 35 years and I asked Preston if he had the manuscript, and in fact he did. It came to me in three Kinko's xerox boxes that I scanned at (appropriately) the Paramount music dept., then converted with an OCR reader, then spent a week manually fixing all the OCR boogers. Then a good half dozen of us systematically proofread it and tracked down some fact-checking matters. And our friend at Creature Features, Taylor White, took up the cause of publishing it. One heads up: there are no illustrations. Those were long ago misplaced—we don't have them—and this is being published without CBS approval. So we're allowed to publish text, but not copyrighted stills. That said, this is one of the most incredible accounts you'll ever read, with the entire cast and almost the entire crew. I look forward to reading people's reactions...!
    http://creaturefeatures.com/shop/books/returntotomorrow/"

Neil

15. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Shame it couldn't have been shipped out to people in time for the 35th anniversary, but I'll be glad to have it whenever it arrives.

16. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

it'll still be around the 35th though, hopefully will arrive b4 xmas day!

17. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Has anyone received a shipping notification yet? I believe today was supposed to be shipping day.

18. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This has been posted on the publishers website...

UPDATE: The finished books have arrived at the Long Beach port in Southern CA. Due to delays at the port, it’s taking a little longer than expected to have them transferred ashore and to the shipping company trucks, but we’ve been assured that this is imminent. We expect them sometime during the week of December 8th-12th. Based on the high volume of pre-ordered copies, please bear in mind it may take a few weeks for us to process all of the orders, including the first 100 signed editions.

19. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

man this books journey to our homes is proving as laborious and frustrating as TMP itself! (would it be any other way?)

20. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore