Game New game: Star Trek Infinite

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Eduardo, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe they went with it because it's a 24th Century variant.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Reading that now. Also claimed the Antares variant. Loading STO for the first time in a long while.

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Since there is a sale I am contemplating buying. How hard is it to learn, as it seems like a lot of management? Should I seek out the mods before starting, or start and then apply them? I will take any advice, as I am looking for a more casual playing experience.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I haven't played it for a while. It's not super easy to learn but more due to the amount of mechanics and possibilities. You'll restart a few times before you get the hang of it - I'm a Stellaris veteran and still restarted two or three times because I'd missed or forgotten a mechanic.

However if you just play on the lowest difficulty and play with the Federation, it'll give you a good start. Something kind of unique is that I've always found it easy enough to "roleplay" my race in Stellaris and still do fairly well. You don't need to cheese it to have a good time AND win.

Ronald Held likes this.
  6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Do not recall playing Stellaris I will take your advice and start with the UPF. Do I need to frequent save?

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It autosaves and you can set how regularly it autosaves. But I wouldn't worry too much. By restart, I mean more that you realise you haven't been efficient or something - but that's just me.

UPF is the easiest because you can diplomacy so many species into your Federation quite easily and peacefully. Romulans are probably the hardest to play.

David cgc and Ronald Held like this.
  8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How consistently does the game map the locations being contested?

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The development for this game is dead, innit?
    What a pity.
    I will still enjoy playing it from time to time. It was great to see TNG one-off cultures fleshed out a little, with empire names and emblems. And it yielded the Antares variant for use in STO.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Really? It’s already ended support? Has it been even a year since release?

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

They ended weekly patches at the beginning of December. There has been some talk about trying to continue development, but its not looking great so far.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That’s a bummer. I suspect that they limited themselves by not expanding into the console markets.

13. Markonian

I wonder if the game could be cannibalized and added into Stellaris (independently of the existing ST conversion mod).

14. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

This game was fun for exactly 4 playthroughs, each of the factions.

After that... kind of bleh. It's not bad by any stretch and was clearly made with some love for the source material. It's just a bit too limited.

I had the most fun with the Cardassians.

Markonian likes this.
  15. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well now that it's dead i may pick it up on a sale for £5 at some point.

16. Markonian

I only played the Federation. Couldn’t stomach playing as bad guys.

JoseNoodles likes this.
  17. evilchumlee

With the Cardassians, you have the option to potentially enact reforms and become more democratic.

Markonian likes this.
  18. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I haven't looked it since sometime last year. It's shame, but hope there is more in the future.

Markonian likes this.
  19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Markonian likes this.
  20. evilchumlee

Not surprising. It was a fun idea, but it really didn't have much in the way of legs.

I'm still going to sit and wait patiently for a proper Birth of the Federation 2. Personally, i'd go more for a Civilization-type 4X game. I think it's a bit more accessible than a Stellaris clone. I think taking the base of Civ 6 could make a pretty decent Trek 4x, it has the ingredients already there.

I really want something that isn't focused on a specific era. It doesn't have to be crazy expansive, I think it's reasonable to do something like 4 main playable empires like Infinite does. Creating a metric ton of units is alot of assets to create, but I think it's reasonable to have an "ENT - TOS - TNG" progression for 4 empires. You don't need 50 ships for each era. Going with a Civ-type model, break it down into archetypes... "Melee", "Ranged", "Siege". You can add more types, but I think those three would suffice. If you want to be stingy and make less work, you need 9 ships per empire (well, you need like, freighters and colony ships and what not).