My drawings of the TOS ENTERPRISE

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jim Botaitis, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

From a practicality/safety standpoint they'd just make the lift drop into the dorsal just shy of the main circular corridor, even if it has to do a jog a couple of decks down. Sorta like this...

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 6.08.52 PM.png

2. Jim Botaitis

Jim Botaitis Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, the jog has to occur anyway, but let's see if I can demonstrate why I placed the drop further aft:

DECK 6
    1. The turbo-elevator does not reach the engineering machine shop, located on Deck 6, just ahead of Engineering, to starboard.
    2. There is no way to deliver a turbo-elevator to the turbo-elevator maintenance shop, located on Deck 6, just ahead of Engineering, to port.
    DECK 8 DORSAL
    3. The vertical shaft is too close to the forward "disconnection equipment"; there would be very little space around it for access / maintenance.
    LANDING LEG
    4. The hole caused by the vertical shaft is too close to the hinge line; this makes the leg weak.
    DECK 9 DORSAL
    5. As above, the shaft is too close to the forward "disconnection equipment"; if it is right up against the forward hull (the thick black line on my plan) there is no way to get to the disconnection equipment for maintenance.
    6. If it is right up against the forward hull, the horizontal shaft splits the deck. The ladders make it difficult enough to get from front to back; I did not want to create issues getting from left to right.
    7. There is no space for a Jefferies Tube (JT) to get to the forward disconnection equipment. The ladders exist as backup, but I wanted the JT to be the main access.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Then you drop make the jog on what you have as deck 8. :)

4. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh man, I had a good laugh from this! I hope Lower Decks will feature interactions like this. You know, the "normal" stuff people do. Awesome!

Psion likes this.
  5. Jim Botaitis

I did think about doing this, but there is only 1 problem. The hole through the landing leg for the turbo-elevator shaft is too close to the leg's tip, and the leg is getting narrow at that point. I think it weakens the leg too much.

6. Jim Botaitis

I tried the link to view your HAYDEN-Class Scout but none of the images worked. Where can I see the work you've done? Is it in SKETCHUP? I started SKETCHUP about 6 months ago. I love it.

7. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that kinda sucked. But if you have SketchUp installed, I can do you one better: here's the model! And there's some extra pretties in my DeviantArt gallery, if you're interested in renders :)

Psion and Jim Botaitis like this.
  8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about using the ladder adjacent to the turbolift? Climb down 1 deck, take the short corridor to the triangular ladder, down another deck, cross to portside and up you go!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Psion and Jim Botaitis like this.
  9. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I posted the link Cygnus X-1 to Jim's deck plans over on the Star Fleet Battles board. Someone complained that he left the bowling alley out. :)

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had a chance to look through the plans in greater detail, and, @Jim Botaitis, this is an outstanding project.

I like that there are alternate versions of decks 6 and 7. I completely approve of the handling of the engine rooms. :techman:

The burning question that I have is, where is the crawlway leading to the matter-antimatter reaction chamber shown in "That Which Survives"? I would assume that it would be in one of the nacelles (or one such crawlway in each)? If that is the location, perhaps that would be a reason to show more detail of the areas that can be entered safely at least for a relatively short time there.

On the question of the emergency manual monitor, @Donny cited a height for it on the stage above the main deck of the engineering set in this post: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/donnys-tos-enterprise-interiors.212119/page-150#post-12323855. You might be interested in seeing Starship Exeter's take in how it fits together also referenced in that post or in the immediately preceding one.

I agree that the reduction of the number of emergency transporters is appropriate. It might be worth mentioning that other arrangements of the 22 pads are perfectly plausible, besides those by Franz Joseph, with of course different spatial trade-offs. For example, there's this more circular arrangement:

Code:
    Again, great work. Thank you for sharing!

Jim Botaitis likes this.
  11. Jim Botaitis

There is one bowling lane. Just one. It is aft of the swimming pool, Deck 21. It runs left-to-right, not front-to-back, so you might not recognize it.

Sgt_G likes this.
  12. Jim Botaitis

Thank you for the comments and feedback and ideas.

I will watch TWS again to refresh my memory and report back here. I was probably thinking it was in the nacelles or in the pylons.

I have watched some STARSHIP EXETER episodes, but don't recall the EMM appearing. I will check that out too.

I am glad you like the alternate deck layouts to allow for 3 engine rooms. However, I now can't recall what dialogue or what episodes suggested this ...

I inadvertently repeated the FJ design. It was subconscious. I had space remaining on Deck 7 and this shape is what fit within that space. The Emergency Transporters were the last items I added. I was going to not have any, but then I read a reference to them in TMoST. Still, 5 such units is overkill.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    publiusr and CorporalCaptain like this.
  13. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I assure you it was not I.

8:28 in "The Tressaurian Intersection". (PS, I highly recommend watching the entire episode. It's terrific.)

Jim Botaitis likes this.
  14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's some brilliant use of creative (and budget friendly) film making!

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I just cast ‘phase door’
    Works for me

16. Jim Botaitis

sintesi likes this.
  17. TrekMD

TrekMD Captain Captain

That is awesome! Thank you!

Jim Botaitis likes this.
  18. Jim Botaitis

The crawlway leading to the matter-antimatter reaction chamber shown in "That Which Survives" is located in each engine nacelle.
    I show it on the CUTAWAY sheet. The NOTES explain that the area is heavily shielded.

sintesi and Sgt_G like this.
  19. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

Very nice combination of rigorous thought and creative talent. Well done.

Jim Botaitis likes this.
  20. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

@Jim Botaitis ... mind if I post your link over on the Star Fleet Battles board??

I think Steve Cole might be very interested in talking to you.

(DISCLAIMER I do not work for Steve Cole and obviously can't speak for him.)

Jim Botaitis likes this.