My drawings of the TOS ENTERPRISE

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jim Botaitis, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Jim Botaitis

Jim Botaitis Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

No problem. You can post links, or even some of the images. He is welcome to contact me here, or via email, or even in Facebook. I think I am easy to find.

2. Jim Botaitis

If you check the link I provided above (http://www.jbot.ca/blueprints.shtml) you will see that I have developed drawings for all the ships that Franz Joseph shows in his Technical Manual.

I discuss my U.S.S. ENTERPRISE (Heavy Cruiser) drawings here in this thread, but I did also draw the Scout/Destroyer, Transport / Tug, and Dreadnought in the same style.

So, I am not sure if I should start a new thread, or continue here ... or maybe even both? I want to draw the SURYA-Class Frigate and the AVENGER-Class Heavy Frigate deck plans.
    Does anyone have any input, ideas, concerns, etc they want to share with me about these 2 classes?

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  3. Jason_Adank

Jason_Adank Lieutenant Red Shirt

Jim,

I just perused through your links, and i gotta say these plans are the best I have ever seen. What an outstanding job youve done here! Each page is very professional and detailed. I was fascinated to just oogle though a few of them and I could easly spend hours looking through them all. Thank you so much for sharing this work with us, I can only say that I really look forward to your next project!

Regarding other ships plans, Id recommend starting a separate thread for each. Else this thread gets overwhelmed and its hard to read through it and keep track of whats what, especially if comments and suggestions for changes start coming in.

Are you planning on only doing TOS ships? Im a TMP era fan and would love to see this kind of work on one of those ships =)

Jim Botaitis likes this.
  4. Jim Botaitis

Thanks for your kind words. I started with the Heavy Cruiser, specifically the U.S.S. ENTERPRISE. I was driven by 3 criteria:
    1. What we see and hear in the 79 episodes.
    2. What we see on the 11-foot studio model.
    3. What we are told in the Writer's Guide (in the book THE MAKING OF STAR TREK).

I wanted to see if it could all fit inside the ship, and "kind of" make sense. The FJ blueprints (even though I really enjoyed them) had some issues.

Once that was done, I decided to complete all the ships shown in the FJ Technical Manual. The criteria did not really exist for these other ships, but I wanted to retain this same ... what would you call it ... style, logic, thoroughness?

Yes, I want to make the Surya and the Avenger, following in the same style (TOS). But I don't think I will tackle anything else beyond that.

I hope these plans provide others with enjoyment, just as the FJ plans entertained me.

5. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

Jim, I have a question. I've been studying your drawings, I continue to be impressed. I'm wondering, though, about your reasoning behind the impulse drive as drawn. I'm going to post a screen cap of the section in question, and if that's not OK let me know and I'll take it down.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It appears to me that the center elements were an attempt to match the what we saw in the set, which makes sense. Why did you do with the design you used for the outer elements, which are so radically different?

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question. The portion I posted above is not meant to represent elements of the engineering deck we saw, which are to the left. I am still interested in why these elements differ, though.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Jim Botaitis likes this.
  6. Jim Botaitis

Hello CHALLENGERHK. Thanks for the message. I can only see the image on the right. I don't know what was posted on the left, so I can't comment on it.
    I don't think I can post images here yet (I am still a newbie).
    Also, the drawings have been revised a bit, but I don't think Engineering was affected. Mostly I was trying to deal with sinking the Bridge so that turbo-elevators can reach the Bridge.
    In my plans, I offer 2 versions for Impulse Engineering; this results in 2 versions of Decks 6 and 7.
    The one image from your message (that I can see) suggests you are asking about Page 5 and Page 7.
    So ... I proposed 2 Impulse Engineering sections because IIRC, there was mention of duplicate systems, and because the layout of Engineering is asymmetrical but suggestive of another, mirror-image layout, and because the ceiling-ribbing (visible in THE ENEMY WITHIN) looks like Engineering is on an angle within the Primary Hull.
    The white circles and blue trapezoids I see in the image you posted are ... "turbochargers" ... some kind of a system to absorb excess energy from the reactors (located further forward) and then finally allow the remainder to vent out the rear. I never imagined the impulse engines to be vents for a chemical reaction. I imagined it to be a reactionless drive, with some sort of heat or energy or "whatever" ... discharge.

7. ChallengerHK

Thanks for responding, Jim.

First off, you can only post images directly if you're a paying customer. I'm not, so I upload to an image hosting service (uDrop) and then use an embed code to get it to show up here. It's a little clunky but it works.

Second, I had only posted one image. I was referring to parts that were not in my capture, "offscreen to the left." Sorry I was confusing.

I've captured a larger area with some annotation below.

[​IMG]

First, I was expecting to see engineering at A. I then realized that you had moved it to B, and provided redundancy, which is a great solution to several problems.

Second, I had thought that C was the structures we see through the grating in the engineering set. Now I see that that area in the set is represented at D.

So, two remaining questions. First, you have wider structures at C, in the center, and then narrower structures to the outside. Why are they different?

Second, where is (are) the emergency manual monitor?

Jim Botaitis likes this.
  8. Jim Botaitis

Ah! Ok, I see. The other design for Deck 6 and Deck 7 has Impulse Engineering at A. This creates a bit of a problem because the floor should be sloped due to the curvature on the underside of the Primary Hull. If you look on Sheet 6, where I have a red 68, you will see what I mean.
    In that other design, yes, the structure we see through the grating in Engineering is the blue trapezoid labelled C on your screen-capture; the shape and alignment is not perfect. :-(

But, in this alternate layout for Impulse Engineering, yes, you are correct. D is what we see through the grating in the Engineering set.
    I have 2 big blue trapezoids and 3 small trapezoids at C so as to coincide with the external details visible on the 11-foot studio model. (there is a white line within the small central trapezoid; it is some sort of artefact from my software and should not be there.)
    An in-world explanation for the different sizes at C would be ... if you remember the line from STAR TREK 4, "Adjust the sine wave of this magnetic envelope so that anti-neutrons can pass through it but anti-gravitons cannot", that line has always fascinated me. So ... the waste products of reactionless drives are anti-gravitons and anti-neutrons. Anti-gravitons are discharged through the small outside vents, More energy is extracted from anti-neutrons before they are discharged through the larger vents. That extra energy is diverted into the "Energy Converter" (which perhaps becomes the "Impulse Crystal" in the Refit). The waste product of the Energy Converter is more anti-gravitons, which are then discharged through the small central vent.

The Emergency Manual Monitor (EMM) overlooks Warp Engineering. It is on the port side of Warp Engineering on Deck 8 in the Secondary Hull (look for the red 39); iit can be accessed by ladder from Deck 9. The other ladder - just forward of the EMM is used to connect Deck 8 and Deck 9. That other ladder is what we see behind the sliding door when Scotty distracts the guard and McCoy injects him to knock him out in the episode MIRROR, MIRROR. It is not the same ladder as is used to climb up to the EMM.
    This layout may seem a bit clunky, but it does allow for a corridor - forward of the ladder - along which Scotty approaches from the left, McCoy approaches from the right, and it also allows for the EMM to overlook Engineering instead of overlooking the aforementioned corridor.

publiusr and ChallengerHK like this.
  9. ChallengerHK

Thanks again, Jim. I'll probably have more questions at some point :lol:

Jim Botaitis likes this.