Most underrated SF movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TalkieToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely agreed. :techman:

That was originally a standalone movie that had nothing to do with Asimov and had the I Robot name tacked on at the last minute, amirite?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I thought most of the movie was good, but then it just kind of fell apart at the end.

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found the romance and all the ninja stuff pretty cheesy. I mean, I like anime, but if you're doing live action it has to be more grounded.

4. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Haven't watched 'em since they came out but I don't recall the Cocoon movies being too bad?

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The first one was charming, with a lot of heart. Never saw the sequel.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Not necessarily "underrated;" I think most people that have seen it have tended to like it but certainly an under-seen film: Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. I'd heard some vaguely positive things about the TV series but didn't really know anything about it. But when I saw they were showing the movie at the Valley Art Theater, I thought I'd give it a shot. I absolutely fell in love with it thanks to this opening scene...

7. Crystalline Entity

Crystalline Entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

Seconded for 2010! Here's my suggestions:
    - The Arrival: a better alien paranoia movie than the X-Files film
    - The Last Starfighter: in many ways the evolutionary precursor to GalaxyQuest

8. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure if it's underrated, but I seem to be one of the only people that liked Bicentennial Man.
    Robin Williams is not what I would call a good actor, he seems to always play himself, but he's not too bad in this, and I liked the story. I'm aware that it's based on Asimov's works, it's pretty blatant that when the robot recites the 3 laws of robotics in the beginning.

Another weird robot movie I like, even though it's not that good, is Heartbeeps. I remember seeing that when I was ten and really liking it, I finally saw it again a few years ago and wasn't as good in some parts for me, but the parts I liked were still good. I think it's more a case of knowing better than a ten year old when something is too ridiculous or even worse is when it's basically some kind of opinion of the writer coming through the story. Another one not I wouldn't call underrated necessarily, but I liked it.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^For what it's worth, I loved Bicentennial Man.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  10. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

Primer...Mainly because I have a few friends that worked on it.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Best sleep aid I've ever used.
    Not even kidding. This one time I was in the middle of a bout of insomnia of which I am occasionally prone and twenty minutes of that movie later I was out like a light.

12. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought that Event Horizon was really good. It was kind of creepy. A haunted house movie in space.

eyeresist, Marsden and BigJake like this.
  13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Oh there's a slew of them.

The first that comes to mind right now is the remake of the Day the Earth Stood Still, which I once dissected here on it's superiority to the original. I recently saw a bunch of nostalgia buffs slagging the remake, so that's why I mention it.

RAMA