Most underrated SF movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TalkieToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jaime

jaime Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I thought it was all about him being the sheriff in the middle of no where and finding out who was bringing the stuff in, then tracking them down and facing off with them.
    As I say, it's been a while...I remember shotguns, crawlspace, airlock lift, decompression issues and a solar panel array. It's like a grim red dwarf.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely agreed. :techman:

That was originally a standalone movie that had nothing to do with Asimov and had the I Robot name tacked on at the last minute, amirite?

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I thought most of the movie was good, but then it just kind of fell apart at the end.

4. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found the romance and all the ninja stuff pretty cheesy. I mean, I like anime, but if you're doing live action it has to be more grounded.

5. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't watched 'em since they came out but I don't recall the Cocoon movies being too bad?

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The first one was charming, with a lot of heart. Never saw the sequel.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Not necessarily "underrated;" I think most people that have seen it have tended to like it but certainly an under-seen film: Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. I'd heard some vaguely positive things about the TV series but didn't really know anything about it. But when I saw they were showing the movie at the Valley Art Theater, I thought I'd give it a shot. I absolutely fell in love with it thanks to this opening scene...

8. Crystalline Entity

Crystalline Entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

Seconded for 2010! Here's my suggestions:
    - The Arrival: a better alien paranoia movie than the X-Files film
    - The Last Starfighter: in many ways the evolutionary precursor to GalaxyQuest

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure if it's underrated, but I seem to be one of the only people that liked Bicentennial Man.
    Robin Williams is not what I would call a good actor, he seems to always play himself, but he's not too bad in this, and I liked the story. I'm aware that it's based on Asimov's works, it's pretty blatant that when the robot recites the 3 laws of robotics in the beginning.

Another weird robot movie I like, even though it's not that good, is Heartbeeps. I remember seeing that when I was ten and really liking it, I finally saw it again a few years ago and wasn't as good in some parts for me, but the parts I liked were still good. I think it's more a case of knowing better than a ten year old when something is too ridiculous or even worse is when it's basically some kind of opinion of the writer coming through the story. Another one not I wouldn't call underrated necessarily, but I liked it.

10. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

^For what it's worth, I loved Bicentennial Man.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  11. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Commander Red Shirt

Primer...Mainly because I have a few friends that worked on it.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

^Best sleep aid I've ever used.
    Not even kidding. This one time I was in the middle of a bout of insomnia of which I am occasionally prone and twenty minutes of that movie later I was out like a light.

13. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought that Event Horizon was really good. It was kind of creepy. A haunted house movie in space.

eyeresist, Marsden and BigJake like this.
  14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Oh there's a slew of them.

The first that comes to mind right now is the remake of the Day the Earth Stood Still, which I once dissected here on it's superiority to the original. I recently saw a bunch of nostalgia buffs slagging the remake, so that's why I mention it.

RAMA