Modelling the Protostar

So earlier this year Nickelodeon dropped a number for the length of the Protostar from ST Prodigy. 139m.
At that scale, our good Holographic Janeway game asset would have to be 0.629m tall.
Its nice to see they're carrying on the tradition of zero spacial consistency across ships and other assets.

ZlLEWAB.jpg

0.629m looks something like this, just for reference.
oVp84cP.png
Wow! I had thought that the Protostar must be a tiny ship if we can have a big-window bridge. Gotta wrap my mind around the Protostar class being as large as the Intrepid.

Wow! I had thought that the Protostar must be a tiny ship if we can have a big-window bridge. Gotta wrap my mind around the Protostar class being as large as the Intrepid.

That's the thing though - they clearly intend her to be smol. They shoot her against other stuff as a reasonably small ship.
You've just gotta handwave the fact that the characters would have to be very smol to fit in her at that size.

I think the Protostar is one of the most eye-catching designs in recent memory. It really grabs one's attention. And coming from an age where ship classes always trended larger, it's nice to see some thought put into more compact spaceframes.

Not a bad angle anywhere.

I can't watch Prodigy in the Netherlands, so these are the best shots Ive seen of this ship so far. She's a beauty!

The characters look show-accurate in the game. It would’ve been fantastic to have them wear their Starfleet uniforms, perhaps as an unlock.

The characters look show-accurate in the game. It would’ve been fantastic to have them wear their Starfleet uniforms, perhaps as an unlock.

They certainly look it! But they're not so much.
What the game characters are, IMO, are bake downs to lower/simpler geometry of the show assets.
So basically new meshes that match the general shape of the show asset, then you 'bake' the textures onto them.
Couple of good examples of it can be found in the comm badge, and Dal's shirts - the comm is just part of the texture of his singlet, rather than a unique mesh.
And his shirt has the textures of the singlet baked on top of it, rather than being entirely its own dark shirty goodness it is in the show.
Imagine that you beam rays from each point of the original show mesh into the game mesh - that's how you get the shirt with singlet colours on it, the rays have gone from the outer shell of the show mesh down to the game mesh as they are.

Anyway, that way-too-wordy nonsense aside, there is actually one of the Starfleet uniforms thrown over the couch in the Captains quarters asset. I could perhaps take that and clean it up and make it usable.
But I figure there'll be DLC for the game at some point that might include them rigged and ready anyway.

I’d love if they made a DLC with costume options. The game Star Trek had that all the way back in 2013.

Last edited:
Back