MLB Offseason 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ouch, I always like Freel... he was a good utility guy.

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

R.A. Dickey wrote this letter to the NY Daily News, a farewell to the town and team that gave him a chance. I will miss him and continue to follow him up in Toronto, hope he wins a ring up there next season. Here is what he wrote:

A little over a year ago I was knocking around book titles with my publisher when we finally found a keeper. The minute I heard the words, “Wherever I Wind Up,” I liked the cadence of them. I liked the mystery of them.

Most of all, I liked the way they captured the essence of my nomadic pitching life — which has now taken another completely unforeseen turn.

I never expected to be writing a farewell “holiday card” to Mets fans. I never expected to be doing anything but celebrating the joy of the season with my wife and kids and looking toward the spring, and the start of my fourth season with an organization that gave me maybe the greatest gift an athlete can get:

A chance.

A chance for a fresh start. A chance to prove that maybe I could be somebody on a big league mound, an authentic and trustworthy pitcher, not just a retread with a weird name and an even weirder pitch — a man who was so in need of financial stability that he had to get talked out of taking a guaranteed contract to go pitch in Korea.

The Mets gave me that chance almost exactly three years ago, and I will always be grateful to them for that. Only God could’ve written the narrative that has played out in the three years since. That is what I want to focus on, and what I want to hold in my heart.

I am not going to lie to you, though. The trade was hard for me at first. This is where my heart was, where I wanted to be, where I lived out a story of redemption and felt that every one of you shared it with me in some form or fashion. I loved pitching for you. I loved your passion, the way you embraced me from the start, and the way you seemed to appreciate the effort I was putting forth. Every time I’d walk off the mound after an outing, I’d look in your faces, the people behind the dugout, and felt as if all your energy and support was pouring right into me — even when I was lousy. It gives me chill bumps thinking about it even now.

Every organization has to do what it feels is in its best interest, and I have no doubt that that’s what the Mets did by trading Josh Thole, Mike Nickeas and me for two young players who, by all accounts, are terrific prospects. It doesn’t make saying goodbye any easier.

From the beginning of last season to the end — when you cheered with all you had that Thursday afternoon when I won my 20th game — I felt that this was a shared journey, that we were all in it together. What a great way for an athlete to feel.

There were so many special relationships I formed that made my time with the Mets so much richer. Not just in the clubhouse, either. I enjoyed talking with Bill Deacon, the head groundskeeper, about his craft, and all that went into it. The security people who helped my wife and kids get in and out of the family lounge, the policemen who helped me get out of the parking lot, the folks at the Hodges Gate — so many people went out of their way to be kind to me, and they should know how much it was, and is, appreciated.

I was going to take out an advertisement to express these thank yous, but decided in the end that there was too much I wanted to say. So I am writing this instead.

As I move beyond the sadness over leaving here, I know I have a tremendous amount to look forward to. The Blue Jays may need name tags on the first day of spring training, but once we get acquainted, well, this team could be something. I appreciate the welcome I’ve already gotten from them, and what they’re trying to build. We’ll see how it all unfolds.

God has blessed me in so many ways. His grace and mercy are at the center of my life. I may not pitch for the home team anymore (a friend told me I now have to start calling myself a Canuckleball pitcher ) but wherever I go from here — wherever I might wind up in the future — I hope you know that I will never forget my three years in New York, and never be able to adequately thank you for everything you’ve given me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/pens-bittersweet-farewell-mets-article-1.1225987#ixzz2FvHUUJ00

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Based on ballots that have already been released, it looks like Jack Morris will be elected to the Hall of Fame this year. [​IMG]

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what they call that logo? "Screaming savage"? Poor guy just looks like he's yawning.

As for the Braves: They do that damned Tomahawk Chop, so are you honestly surprised they're bringing back something almost as racist?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. R. Star

People look too much into things for something to get upset over.

I suppose the Angels, Brewers and Yankees are racist against white people too by that logic?

The "screaming savage" hat is ugly and tacky as heck, but to think it's racist is a stretch. But hey, people with chips on their shoulder gotta wave their dicks over something eh?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Well, don't take my word for it... Linky

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand your hatred for the Braves. Is it just because of the Tomahawk Chop?

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get it either. I think the Chop is great, I picked one up passing through the airport there one time. I don't get how 'Braves' is offensive to anyone. Seems to me they are honoring them more than trashing them.

What drives me nuts is the hypocrisy and inconsistency when it comes to Indian themed names vs. other ethnic team names.

By that same token, shouldn't Irish people complain about the Boston Celtics, or Scandinavian folks about the Minnesota Vikings?

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I hate the Braves because I'm a Phillies fan and they were always on TV a la the Cowboys and Notre Dame. But I'm not offended by the name (although I'm also not Native American). Braves is about as innocuous a tribute to Native Americans as there can be. The Indians logo and the Washington Redskins have obvious reasons to be considered offensive, but I'm not sure the point of removing any Indian-related team name. Hell, even the Golden State Warriors are technically an Indian reference even if I'm sure most people in Oakland don't know that.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

I don't hate the Braves themselves (even though they regularly stomp all over the Mets :p ). Just the Chop.

Hell, Braves fans were even pretty nice to me when I visited Turner Field (in full Met gear). Not like in Philly, where I will never go again because Phillies fans treat visitors, myself included, like dogshit.

And there's nothing wrong with team names like Braves or Indians. Redskins is racist; those are not.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

IMO, Philly's reputation is more inflated than true. Then again, there was the guy who was shot recently, so maybe I'm wrong.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

^ It's not just reputation. I experienced it directly when I was there. And not just in Citizens Bank Park, either. The entire city.

Interesting, in that in the course of one week, I experienced both extremes: Baltimore, where the natives are very friendly and welcoming to outsiders, regardless of team; and Philly, where...the opposite applies.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a great time when I was in Philly. I even dared to wear my Braves shirt one day and nobody said a word to me.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Were you alone?

16. R. Star

I always thought the tomahawk chop was cool as heck. Though I loved how the Cub fans turned it on them during the 03 playoffs when there were more Cub fans than Brave fans in Turner Stadium. The Cub fans all took off their Cub hats and mocked the chop when the Cubs scored. :p

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Here's the new look for Dodger Stadium: Linky

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

No Hall of Fame chatter?

Well, the news today is that your 2013 HoF class is: No one.

Bonds and Clemens will both get elected eventually, but this was the mandatory punishment for steroids (despite the whole league being dirty. these guys got caught). Piazza and Schilling did decent for 1st year of elegibility, and Craigg Biggio was closest to election. Likely all of those names make it eventually, although Schilling is a little more questionable. Numbers are a little short, but being on some memorable teams, plus incredible post-season performances and heroics, likely gets him the nod...

19. R. Star

Well, as many big names that were on the ballot this year, it's not surprising no one got in. Not enough votes to go around for all of them.

Biggio and Piazza seem likely to get in. I'm not so sure about Bonds and Clemens. Sosa's low vote percentage was really surprising. I didn't think he was as marred by the steroid brush as Bonds and Clemens for example.

Next year it's only gonna get more complicated. Maddux, Glavine, Kent, Thomas, and Mussina are all likely to command a high number of votes. Normally I'd say Maddux and Glaivine both are first balloters, but hard to say with the widening field.

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fine by me nobody got in, although IMO Biggio kind of deserved to get in on the first ballot. I think that they should all eventually get in (Bonds and Clemmons should have to wait until their final year of eligiblity though), but this is clearly a protest year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.