Contest: ENTER Misc Avatar Contest: Comfort Food

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RJDiogenes, Mar 24, 2018.

1. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

3. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

And he loves spooning. ;-)

Marynator likes this.
  5. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

@RJDiogenes: Does it just have to be things you eat? I have an idea for something I like to drink that's comfort food-ish. If not, I have a back up idea or two.

6. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm with you on that, too!
    I loved this stuff as a kid, but got violently ill once after eating some. Can't even smell it without
    a twinge since then. :barf2:

:lol:

7. TrickyDickie

Sometimes the richness of the molasses is a problem for people, especially if a batch has a bit more than average in it. I think heating only intensifies the richness....sort of like what happens with prune juice. :lol:

UncleRogi likes this.
  8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

All my recipes begin "Drive to supermarket" and end "heat for five minutes in microwave."

Cool, thank you. :bolian:

Beverages are fine. Go for it.

Random_Spock likes this.
  9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the board, Marynator :) Great entry! I love peanut butter and find it best combined with chocolate. Alas, my country is completely Reese-less. Still, we have some nice sorts of chocolates like for example these delicious chocolate cupcakes. They are handmade, about the size of the smallest Reese's buttercups and come in dozens of different flavours: clockwiese starting at the top the specimens in my pic are raspberry-cream, blueberry, salted caramel, coffee, cheese cake, vanilla-peach, hazenut-chocolate, and in the middle: strawberry-yoghurt.
    [​IMG]

10. Marynator

Thank you rhubarbodendron, and beautiful confectioneries! Peanut butter goes with practically everything. Ever tried it on a toasted english muffin?

Unfortunately sweets upset my tummy, the only thing I seem to be able to handle is white chocolate, and only in very small amounts at a time. Please enjoy an extra one for me!

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

:drool::drool:

UncleRogi likes this.
  12. rhubarbodendron

I never thought of trying peanut butter on a muffin but it sounds very tasty indeed =) Thans for teh tip, Marynator! I'll definitely try it out the next rainy weekend, particularly since muffins can be deep frozen so that one always has one at hand in an emergency.
    Peanut butter also goes very well with stir-fried savoy cabbage. I'm still experimenting with its uses since at home we never had it - my mom hates peanut butter (apparently there were tons of it in all care parcels back in WW2).
    Are you by any chance a diabetic? That would explain the upset tummy when you eat sweets. I love sweets but was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance so that I'm now down to one chocolate cupcake per day.

Marynator likes this.
  13. Marynator

Yes! I have quite a few packages of english muffins in my freezer right now. In an emergency they take only seconds to thaw (at least thawed well enough to go in the toaster). On the toasted english muffin, the peanut butter melts and sneaks into all the nooks and crannies and is oh so delicious. I am sorry to hear about your mother's distaste. I can understand though why people would put it in the care packages: it stores well, is filling, has protein, and was crafted by Dionysus, the pleasure god himself.

I do not have diabetes, but for some reason I just do not react well to sweets. About 15 years ago I received some rich chocolate for Christmas, and after eating it I was violently sick for 3 days. Ever sine then I just seem to react poorly. Eating chocolate cake, or even something like cheesecake, makes me feel very ill. I mostly get my sweets fix from fruit (I have six pounds of strawberries in my refrigerator at the moment. This will not last me until the weekend).

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

My sincere condolences! I mean, I love fruit too, but... no chocolate? :eek:

15. TrickyDickie

[​IMG]

Bavarian Cream / Boston Cream doughnut. My favorite doughnut. The 'cream' is more like a vanilla-ish pudding. I've always wondered why they don't make one with banana pudding, being that chocolate and banana go so well together. :shrug:

Random_Spock likes this.
  16. RJDiogenes

Now that's what I call a trade deficit. :(

I'm surprised Dunkin's doesn't have that.

17. rhubarbodendron

A life without chocolate is possible but not livable.

Can you get truely ripe strawberries at this time of year? Over here you get only imported ones atm. They are harvested while still half green and have as much flavour as a sip of water.
    Years ago my dad and I discovered a highway restaurant in Austria where in May/June they serve pizza-sized freshly baked waffles with about a pound of strawberries and whipped cream on top. Absolutely awesome! :drool: We made it a tradition to go there at least once every strawberry season =)

18. Marynator

You get used to it! After it has made you ill enough times, you even lose your appetite. I get a bit of a knot in my tummy when I even see a picture of a decadent slice of cake. There were some times where I ate a large slice of devil's food chocolate cake and had a very rough night afterward. I went to a doctor at the time but they couldn't find anything wrong with me, so it's just something I learned to live with and adjusted to.

Yes! The strawberries I have right now are very sweet and are red all the way through. I believe they are brought up from California or Mexico, but generally I can find good fruit throughout the year. It's usually prices that will change based on them being in season locally. Sometimes there is a bad batch with no flavor as you said, but that is not most of the time. I will usually buy whatever looks best when I visit the market: this week it was strawberries! I usually also keep kiwi fruit in my fridge (those are pretty much always good, and inexpensive). In the summer I enjoy buying pineapples, which are also very sweet, and you get a surprising amount once it's prepared. Another one I absolutely love are frozen red seedless grapes! Have you ever tried that? Once separated and cleaned I put them in a ziploc baggy in the freezer, and after 24 hours they are absolutely delicious. They taste like popsicles (only better!) and have a texture like sherbet.

19. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool! Thanks! :)

Here's my entry:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    RJDiogenes likes this.
  20. RJDiogenes

We have a good turnout this time. I'll put up the voting thread Sunday morning, so there's still time for more entries.

Random_Spock likes this.