Contest: ENTER Misc Avatar Contest: Comfort Food

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RJDiogenes, Mar 24, 2018.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

We're on a roll with the feeling-good themes, so let's add some butter, and maybe a little marmalade, to the roll and serve up some comfort food. There's a lot on the menu so nobody should be starving for possibilities. Comfort food can range from the delicious death of a chocolate cake based on an old Agatha Christie recipe to the flavorful fruitiness of a Cherry Garcia from Ben & Jerry's. It can be a good old-fashioned juicy cheeseburger or a trendy taco with stuff in it. It can be something simple like a chocolate chip cookie or something from the dessert cart with meringue and other unidentifiable things. It can be something that only your mother used to make or something that hasn't been seen on Earth since that little place in Greenwich Village closed down in 1973. It can be healthy or it can be-- no, I take that back, it can't be healthy.

So everybody get in line and let's serve up a buffet of the exotic and the mundane, the tasty and the profane, the vulgar and the urbane, so long as it brings that momentary comfort to your brain in a world that has gone insane.

I'll start us off with a tasty gem from my childhood that evokes Saturday morning cartoons and the Sunday funnies and a world of optimism:

[​IMG]

My pal Quisp. :adore:

Now get cookin.'

think likes this.
  2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

[​IMG]

Without ice cream, there would be darkness and death.

Random_Spock and RJDiogenes like this.
  3. Grilled cheese !!!
    [​IMG]

Orac, UncleRogi, think and 2 others like this.
  4. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back in the 70s, the Sunshine Biscuit Company made Raisin Biscuits. They were golden brown and chewy and really good. Sometime in the 80s they changed the formula. They were paler and softer and tasted terrible. More recently they evolved into 'Golden Fruit' which was still not like the original. Then they were completely discontinued. I can not even find one image of the original packaging anywhere.

The closest thing I could find are these, which also seem to have been discontinued:

[​IMG]

Those would have been a good snack to have while watching the movie 'It'. :hugegrin:

Maybe we should have a thread devoted to old favorite products that have been discontinued over the years....

RJDiogenes likes this.
  5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Classic macaroni and cheese.
    [​IMG]

RJDiogenes and auntiehill like this.
  6. RJDiogenes

"Sine glacies crepito, non est tenebrae et mortis." Because that needed to be translated into Latin.

Oh, yeah. Now I want one.

Man, I hate it when they change the formula. I can no longer eat Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts. :(

Nice idea. There would be a lot.

Good one. Always makes me think of Calvin & Hobbes.

auntiehill likes this.
  7. auntiehill

I am SO saving that. :lol:

UncleRogi and RJDiogenes like this.
  8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I don't imagine that probably too many of you will agree with me on this one, but one of my main go-to comfort foods is a basic tuna casserole.

[​IMG]

9. TrickyDickie

Count me in! :techman:

One of my specialties that I make is zucchini casserole.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  10. I haven't had tuna casserole before but I'm gonna try it.
    I eat fish,eggs,cheese etc but recently stopped eating meat (2months now)
    so I'm always on the lookout for new no-meat recipes.

11. think

think About it! Premium Member

Red velvet pancakes ---now I have never tried them but I love red velvet and pancakes too so I gotta figure...

[​IMG]

12. TrickyDickie

All things red velvet (and blue velvet and other colors) have undeniable eye-appeal, but I usually end up tasting the food dye more than anything. Even happens sometimes when they use a natural coloring like beet juice. I would rather have strawberry ice cream that is quite pale, rather than intense pink and tasting like beets. :lol:

think likes this.
  13. TrickyDickie

Couldn't resist spreading the word about an old favorite of mine that actually does still exist unchanged: B&M Brown Bread. Comes in plain or the even better raisin version. For fans of molasses, this is very rich with it. Goes great with real butter. My digestive system is quite messed up from being prescribed Accutane back in the 80s for bad acne (can't join the lawsuits because all of my medical records were destroyed....they do that if you don't go to doctors in 7 years), but I still have to indulge in a can of this once in a while. You fully cut both can ends and then push it right out. Great stuff! :drool:

[​IMG]

RJDiogenes likes this.
  14. Avro Arrow

^ Wait, so is this something like those Pillsbury rolls, where it's just dough in the can, and then you take the dough out and bake it?

Or are you actually saying it's already baked, and you just take it out of the can and eat it? Because I've honestly never heard of such a thing as pre-baked bread in a can before!

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's a pre-baked loaf in a can.

16. Avro Arrow

:eek: Um, OK... wow! :lol:

17. auntiehill

18. TrickyDickie

Straight out of the can it's very good. Heated, especially in a microwave? No. :ack:

19. RJDiogenes

:D

I would put tuna casserole in that category

I love blue denimh and I love omelets, but.... :rommie:

Wow, I haven't had that in ages. I forgot it even existed. It sounds weird, folks, but it's good.

think likes this.
  20. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

is it just me or does anyone else think that this message board needs a recipe thread?