Merch Beyond!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Turbo, May 23, 2016.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Hasbro wanted a Star Trek license mainly for their Kre-O line though. Aside from some mention of "role-play toys" and "select new figures" in their initial press release, they actually had nothing else even developed other than Kre-O in the 15 months or so they had the license before the movie's release. If anything, they should have run the numbers and realized that there was little interest in Kre-O toys period.

saddestmoon and BillJ like this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I do hope we get more TOS Mega Bloks. I have the Bridge and "Day of the Dove" sets. Both are really nice.

[​IMG]

borgboy likes this.
  3. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

My kid loves Star Wars but mainly because the toys... Light sabers and space ships roped him in.

He loves Star Trek, too, but mostly because of my hand-me-down Trek toys and models.

He constantly asks to "see" my Eaglemoss Starships. I have no idea why Star Trek is adverse to merchandising at this point.

wayoung likes this.
  4. BillJ

I really don't think they're adverse to it. Most of the stuff simply doesn't sell very well. The stuff that does sell really isn't toys but collector's items that adults want.

5. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The merchandise for Beyond is pretty sad tbh. Star Wars gets all the toys and stuff and Star Trek gets nothing. We deserve better.

6. BillJ

Then people need to be lining up to buy what merchandise that does exist.

7. imranbecks

The only merch I have from the JJ verse of Star Trek is the Playmates USS Enterprise and communicator from 2009 and the prop replicas of the phaser, starfleet academy ring (from Into Darkness) and a Science badge insignia :-) Hope to see some props from Beyond...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Making-of book confirmed:

First up, recent solicitations have confirmed that the ambiguously titled forthcoming book from Titan Comics, Star Trek Beyond Collector's Edition, is indeed a behind the scenes book. As the solicitation blurb describes:
    Go behind the scenes of Star Trek Beyond, the latest chapter in the billion dollar movie franchise, in this jam-packed collection celebrating Star Trek's 13th big screen outing and revealing the details behind the making of the movie! Presenting in-depth interviews with the entire cast and crew, including producer J. J. Abrams, director Justin Lin, regular cast Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban, and guest star Idris Elba. Plus, discover the technical secrets of the film, from stunts and special effects to costumes and make-up! This is a must for Trekkers everywhere! Available in Hardcover and Softcover editions.

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/07/star-trek-beyond-round-up-making-of.html

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

QMX USS Franklin Artisan Replica

[​IMG]

saddestmoon and imranbecks like this.
  10. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Ahhh, it's a hard bound version of the magazines they've done for the past two movies.

11. imranbecks

Wow.. That USS Franklin looks fantastic!

12. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I NEED IT!

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Trek's 50th deserves better.

I heard more than one kid in the theater talking about no toys in the store for it.

So businessmen are idiots.

14. BillJ

Based on the performance of merchandise that isn't TOS, would you gamble your money on producing it?

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Chicken and egg. Folks never buy what isn't there.

I went two Carmike and Regal. Regal didn't have anything.

Carmike's cup offering?

NASCAR.

Yes that sells well. But you know something--Elon Musk had to operated Space X at a loss to be competitive later. It's trek's 50th--and yet I see less tie ins.

That NASCAR sells more doesn't mean they should. We have got to get kids interested in space. Our sats are aging--and so are some of the folks in NASA as well.

16. BillJ

But it isn't. The chicken nor the egg have sold well where the Abramsverse is concerned.

17. C.E. Evans

There probably was no Trek movie more tailor made for toys than Beyond, IMO. But there's probably now a firmly-held belief by toy manufacturers that kids really aren't into Star Trek, and maybe never will be anymore.

Yet the new Ghostbusters movie got toys...oy vey.

18. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

After seeing this I called all the local theaters to see if they had them. I would have driven all the way into town for that Mini-Franklin. I tend to collect the smaller scale things for space reasons. Don't think we will see these in the U.S. (ebay would be showing them by now) which is a bummer....these look like the old applause replicas from back in the day.

19. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Well, Playmates did try a toy line in 2009...and it flopped....now, it was a Toyline geared towards kids....not adult collectors....using a tried and true format....figures/playsets/role play accessories/ a light and sound ship....and still it was a dud....I'm not really sure how they could have done that line any different to appeal to KIDS.....we just have to be real....Spock is never going to be as cool as Darth Vader to the typical mass market child. and that's the numbers these companies deal in....plus, most kids anyway don't even want toys anymore....they want smartphones and DLC cards....

BillJ likes this.
  20. C.E. Evans

Most of that was Playmates' fault. They flooded the market with too much product all at once and retailers were left with tons of stuff that stopped selling after Star Trek XI was released. Combined with customer dissatisfaction with most of the toyline, it's little wonder that flopped.

But that was back in 2010. Six years later, Trek is still perceived as something that really doesn't deserve a toyline as a result of that. Only Funko showed an interest in doing something from Beyond, and that was in the form of their exaggerated POP! figures.