Merch Beyond!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Turbo, May 23, 2016.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Funko appears to be the only toy company interested in doing anything from Beyond. No other toys beside their "super deformed" POP! figures are even being solicited anywhere. Even Mattel doesn't have any new Hot Wheel ships for Beyond coming out...

2. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:confused: Mattel better produce something for ST:Beyond!!! Or I shall be rather grumpy (distinctly so!).

I'd take whatever they produce at both 1:64 scale and 1:50th!

:D

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I might get a Krall and Jaylah.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wondering, does Beyond even have any new ships other than the Franklin and those ships that swarm and attack the Enterprise?

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get the appeal of the Funko things either.

Kor

Astra likes this.
  6. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll tell you what's been sadly lacking for decades: a Nerf Enterprise. Think of the marketing strategy:

"Crash it as many times as you want and it will still bounce right back for more voyages!"

:techman:

7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nothing beyond what's been shown in the teaser / trailer - but here's hoping there's more ships to come!

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I need to own the Spock and Scotty ones

9. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see some Trek III ERTL style action figures.

10. C.E. Evans

The way things currently are going, it looks like those Funko POP! figures are going to be it.

Even if there was some kind of secrecy about Beyond, with some stuff being spoilery, there would at least be some kind of solicitation about unspecified case assortments from Mattel and/or another company by now (wait, forget solicitations, they should be coming out in stores by now), IMO. But there seems to be nothing other than what Funko is offering (there are merchandisers that have acquired licenses for various products, but they all seem to be various 50th anniversary items mostly from TOS).
    http://trekmovie.com/2016/02/06/new...for-cbs-50th-anniversary-merchandise-program/

So much for Star Trek Beyond merchandise...apparently no one other than Funko was interested.

11. Cap.GRPrime1701

Cap.GRPrime1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was hoping Kre-O would do new sets

12. C.E. Evans

I don't think Trek did as well for Kre-O as Hasbro thought it would.

Mega Blocks announced their full Star Trek line will launch next year, but they've got some 50th-anniversary TOS stuff coming out later this year.
    https://collectors.megabloks.com/en-us/star-trek

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

As could I. And if I remember correctly, we're in luck, as Eaglemoss' Ben Robinson confirmed some time ago on Twitter that they'll be doing Beyond ships. Or am I confusing it with the new 2017 series? :confused:

What I would love to get is a Jaylah figure in the stunning quality of these collectibles from Hot Toys.

trekyourself likes this.
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

They used to me more Toy-Tie-Ins. Not anymore. Marvel Star Wars, superheros.

Anything else--forget it.

The Funko stuff is exactly what I hoped they wouldn't do.

Toy execs not listening again.

15. C.E. Evans

It may not be so much toy execs as it is major retailers. If they still aren't interested in Trek toys after what happened in 2009, then toy companies aren't going to bother with them, IMO. Funko seems to be the exception, but they seem to get away with it by keeping their toy lines small and their shipments even smaller.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, not listening to you. But, honestly, if things were selling we'd have action figures and other stuff for the new movie.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like in any business, if it lasts, we see more of it. Most toy lines based on movies are only really popular in the weeks/month(s) prior to the movie's release and immediately after. Then they wither away to the discount bin and become forgotten about. Hasbro's current Star Wars line has been in steady production since 1995, it has staying power and is therefore going to get a decent chunk of floor space at Toys R Us. Even then, thing's haven't always been perfect, take for example Phantom Menace merchandise didn't sell as well as expected in 1999, which resulted in that stuff dominating the discount bins in 2000.

With as many Marvel/superhero movies being released per year as there are, not to mention cartoons on TV based on superheroes, that's always in the public's spotlight, and therefore a steady stream of toys are going to dominate the stores as well. Indeed, in most cases you don't have the same toy lines continuing on, but rather a constantly changing assortment based on whatever movie is about to be released or whatever.

When Star Trek had its heyday in the 1990s there were plenty of action figures to go around. Then that day went past and there hasn't really been much of a demand since. Hell, Art Asylum nearly made themselves bankrupt when they first got the Trek license to do toys based on Enterprise and Nemesis. They recuperated by doing toys based on TOS and TNG specifically aimed at the adult collector's market.

trekyourself likes this.
  18. trekyourself

trekyourself Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All my buds aren't trekkies. In fact none of my friends are scifi fans at all. But they've always found it amusing that I'm such a trekkie. Being so, for one of my friends kids birthdays I went to get him some star trek figures as a laugh. I didn't find a single star trek toy at all in Walmart. In any form. That seems dissapointing. As to the funko pops, I don't find the appeal usually. But as I'm getting married soon, and my wife is a star wars fan, one of her bridesmaids got a captain kirk funko and a Leia one for us to use as cake toppers, which I love. She claims she had to call several dozen stores in over 3 cities to even find that though. So yes, the merch is just wildly underwhelming.

19. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Krall and Jaylah plushies please! I don't even buy merch usually, but I would love these. Trek needs to start emphasising new aliens, and merching the hell out of them.

20. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'd love it if Diamond Select/Art Asylum (whichever name they go by now) would do a toy of the Enterprise to replace the one put out for the first movie.

saddestmoon and BillJ like this.