Spoilers Meet the bridge crew of the USS Titan-A

Just to reinforce my last point (Damn you no edit button!)

The Defiant looks outright silly in 2005's In a Mirror, Darkly when compared to the controls the X01 is rocking. It's going to look even sillier nearly 20 years later. You can't just resume push buttons in an era of touch screens and gesture controls.
They could simply be highly advanced 3D holo buttons you can not only push, but squeeze, turn, shear, pull, rub,... :D

Plus, even if DS9 came back, they'd hate it.

Ira Steven Behr, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Ron Moore, and everyone else in that Writer's Room could come back, they could write all the episodes, and they'd say, "What happened?! They lost their touch!" And they'd weigh what they want against what they'd actually get.

Undoubtedly. If "Past Tense" was written today, the usual suspects would be losing their minds over Trek shoving politics down their throats.

Plus, even if DS9 came back, they'd hate it.

Ira Steven Behr, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Ron Moore, and everyone else in that Writer's Room could come back, they could write all the episodes, and they'd say, "What happened?! They lost their touch!" And they'd weigh what they want against what they'd actually get.

They're now trashing Strange New Worlds ("WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO STAR TREK? IT'S NOW GONE ALL WOKE!")

They got their show -- and now they hate it. :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about Seven-Rafi love drama spin-off while we still have actors who served as Dr. Bashir, Garak, Quark, Sisko, O'Brien...
Avery Brooks is currently 74 and has only had a few roles since DS9 ended. Andrew Robinson is currently 80 and hasn't acted since the mid 2000s. To say nothing of the fact that at his age, he's probably not interested in getting into the prosthetics again, which he was never a fan of to begin with. Colm Meaney, though still acting, has indicated he has no interest in returning to Star Trek. That leaves Alexander Siddig and Armin Shimmerman, both of whom are still acting, though I imagine Shimmerman probably isn't too eager to get into prosthetics again at his age, 73. That leaves Siddig, who though he has never spoken ill of Star Trek, I don't get the impression he's enough of a fan to revisit a character he played thirty years ago either.

They're now trashing Strange New Worlds ("WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO STAR TREK? IT'S NOW GONE ALL WOKE!")

They got their show -- and now they hate it. :rolleyes:
I never quite figured that one out. "I love DS9! It's dark, it's serialized, it's not the traditional format, and it branches Star Trek out!" Then comes SNW, which is bright, not serialized, is the traditional format, and it branches right back into TOS!

"Wait! What?! I don't like SNW either! What the Hell?!" No fucking shit they don't like it! It's the exact opposite of everything they claim to like about DS9.

I hope folks also remember that Leah ends up smacking Geordie down and he realizes what an idiot he was being.
That's kinda-sorta what the whole moral of the entire subplot was.
Also, how the holodeck can be misused with the participant not entirely seeing how it's wrong, by getting caught up in ones own fantasies.
They carried that idea even farther with Lt. Barkley and his addiction.

Thank you. "Aged poorly" - as if it was intended to be cool at the time. :shrug:It's actually a more relevant episode today considering advances in tech etc.

Quint was clear that he wouldn't stand to be undermined on his own ship - "Yeah, it's your charter, it's your party. It's my vessel.", "You're on board my vessel, I'm mate, master, pilot and I'm captain." - but I'd hope that's all they've got in common. Otherwise we get to look forward to Capt. Shaw being literally swallowed alive by his worst fears.
...wait, that could be kind of cool, actually. :D

Matalas described Shaw as engineering background and "blue collar" ethos who is resentful of elites like Picard, which would be Quint compatible.

Leah says she was wrong and Geordi suffers no repercussions for his behavior. It's terrible.
He certainly did, he realized that he was letting his fantasy get the better of him and he backed off.
Geordie wasn't being evil, he just got carried away by the false reality the Holodeck provided.

The fact that afterword when the two of them were beyond his foolishness, they found common ground in trying to work together to fix the episodes McGuffin, still didn't excuse his behavior.

Leah was willing to forgive and somewhat forget, because she ended up finding Geordie appealing, when he wasn't dabbling in a holodeck fantasy.

She wasn't excusing his behavior, but she understood where it came from and how he got lulled into thinking she was going to immediately reciprocate the feelings due to the forced reality of the holodeck program.
I'm sure she never let him forget how they first met.

Last edited:
I think the idea is that by the 24th century, folks don't automatically assume that when somebody does something stupid they are being intentionally evil.
Once Barkley's addiction was discovered, Troi (the ships Counselor) immediately started working with him to break his dependence on the false reality that the Holodeck provided him and began helping him build up his self confidence.
(the cause of his Holodeck activities)
The same way Leah eventually forgave Geordie once she knew where his foolishness was coming from and he realized it himself.

Of course everybody was furious with Reg for using their likenesses', but they didn't instantly condemn him without trying to find an explanation for his actions.
(except maybe Worf)

The whole idea of those episodes was how the Holodeck can twist even the most innocent of desires and bring about harmful repercussions.
It also showed that people by that time, have grown beyond the immediate human emotion of angry condemnation.

Last edited:
When I rewatched that episode a few years ago one thing that bugged me was that Leah apologized to Geordi even though she didn't do anything wrong and Geordi insisting that he was just trying to be her friend (after inviting her to a romantic dinner in his room, commenting on her hair) which Leah didn't owe him. Geordi couldn't keep things professional and she's the one who said she owed Geordi an apology.

And wasn't Leah married this whole time?

It also showed that people by that time, have grown beyond the immediate human emotion of angry condemnation.
Its not a matter of anger or condemnation. It's a matter of consequences for expecting Leah to be reciprocating and then she apologies.

When I rewatched that episode a few years ago one thing that bugged me was that Leah apologized to Geordi even though she didn't do anything wrong and Geordi insisting that he was just trying to be her friend (after inviting her to a romantic dinner in his room, commenting on her hair) which Leah didn't owe him. Geo
Exactly.
And wasn't Leah married this whole time?
Yup.

That leaves Alexander Siddig and Armin Shimmerman, both of whom are still acting, though I imagine Shimmerman probably isn't too eager to get into prosthetics again at his age, 73. That leaves Siddig, who though he has never spoken ill of Star Trek, I don't get the impression he's enough of a fan to revisit a character he played thirty years ago either.

Except the part where he supposedly popped the teeth back in for his episode on Lower Decks

Except the part where he supposedly popped the teeth back in for his episode on Lower Decks
There's a difference between putting a set of fake teeth in your mouth to record for a voice role, and coming in every morning at 4 am to spend several hours getting prosthetics (which include huge ears) attached to your face, and then keeping all that on until 11 pm.

The fact that you're triggered by Seven/Raffi says something about you.

Yes, you are 100% right. It says about me that I really hate character of Rafi. She is everything that Starfleet is not. I hate her occurance.

But I really loved Seven and Chakotay relationship. That's bcs I like Chakotay.

Back