Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I just finished what is probably my last playthrough of ME1 last night and uninstalled the game for the first time in years. Since my "loser" Shep ended up being not being a terribly interesting prospect for importing, this new Shepard is designed to end up getting as many squadmates killed as possible. I want to see that memorial board filled to the brim! :evil:

Oh and how's this for sad? I'm so attached to my main Shepard that I felt the need to "fix" one of the official wallpapers. ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Only 42% of players have completed ME3.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not surprising. A friend of mine stopped playing after Shepard says goodbye to all his/her various squadmates, before the final run to the beam in London. She said she'd read about how the game ended and would rather finish on a good note.

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Yeah, given the nuclear reaction to the ending, it's not a shock that many did not complete it. After seeing the endings, I sometimes wished I'd never completed it myself. The extended cut made it so I can at least tolerate it. But I'd imagine many stopped playing and never tried again. Such a shame.

5. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With the rubbish we got? I finished and started another play when my machine died, but I can't say I blame anyone who signed off early if they knew about it.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not surprising, especially since (according to various studios) most games are never finished by a significant percentage of those who've installed them. For example, I've had Deus Ex HR & Batman Arkham City since before Xmas and have yet to complete either of them. Not that I didn't like them, I just left them alone for a while and never got back to them. I've been playing Skyrim for several weeks now and I fully expect that I'll uninstall it before getting anywhere near finishing the rebellion quest line.

With the ME3 ending fiasco, it shouldn't be a shock that a lot of those that bought the game only played it to a certain point before quitting. I wonder how many of them just watched it on youtube?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

42% is pretty good for gaming. Look up some of the numbers on other titles -- when BioWare originally posted something about ME2's completion rate before this year (it was something like 49%) they were absolutely ecstatic. 42 is still pretty good.

Red Dead Redemption is a completely different kind of game, granted, but to give a good measure of how much this stuff really matters, its completion rate is 10%. And they used the same definition -- not 100%ing the game, just beating its main story path.

Eidos, when speaking of the Hitman series' stats in this regard, has claimed that 20% is average. :P

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ME2's completion rate after five months (the same period of time) was 56%, meaning that ME3 has a 25% drop in completion rate.

42% may be "pretty good" compared to the industry as a whole, but that significant of a drop from the last game in the series would be pretty worrying if I were Bioware.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ I suppose it depends on whether or not ME3 sold more units in that time than ME2. Going by percentage alone can be deceptive. Either way, I'm sure any drop off will be attributed to the endings fiasco. Also, I doubt the extended cut made much of a dent in that overall. While some who may have stopped before finishing might have gone back, it wouldn't have done anything from those that had already traded the game in.

10. PsychoPere

You just had to mention those two, didn't you? I also haven't finished either of them yet... :(

Or The Witcher 2, or The Amazing Spider-Man, or Max Payne 3, or Spec Ops: The Line, or Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions...

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keep in mind that RDR's real ending was hidden as a side mission and a lot of people missed it, and there's quite a few people out there who think they finished RDR when they actually didn't.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hey I haven't even *started* Witcher 1 yet...or Bulletstorm, Trine 2, Morrowind, STALKER SoC. Indeed, If I look down my Steam library I can easily name 12 or more games that I never finished (more if you count the Dawn of War Expansion packs!) Which is a bit weird as I like to think I usually complete the games I like, but the reality is, some just fall by the wayside.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

14. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

I have dozens of games which I didn't complete. Literally dozens. Hell, some I only played for a few hours and that was it. The Mass Effect series of games are among the very few that I've completed multiple times.

15. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

16. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

They planned it perfectly for my first week back at work! :P I'll Still find the time. :)

17. PsychoPere

The Deception rewrite is still underway, according to Chris Priestly:
    Also, if anyone is interested, Jessica Merizan, Chris Priestly, and Fernando Melo held a reddit AMAA today.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Taking me a while while to dig though all the responses, but so far I haven't seen anything particularly interesting. Mostly Merizan doing her best to dance around some very direct questions. Not that I begrudge her for it, she's only the community manager after all so has to be diplomatic...still, her response to the question about the Tali stock photo bordered on insulting one's intelligence.

19. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm as critical of Bioware and ME3 as anyone, but I actually think she got it about right when it came to Harbinger. His role in the story is right there in the name.

Harbinger. A herald. To foreshadow a future event. To make known the approach of another.

I wouldn't have objected if he'd had a role in ME3, but I didn't miss him, either.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^While I do appreciate her position, that would only have been a valid argument if Harbinger had vanished into the crowd after ME2. Instead it gets it's own new codex entry playing up it's age and significance. Then he gets foreshadowed, *twice*, once by a dying reaper and again before the final mission...only to show up in a cameo.

It's pretty obvious they they had intended to use Harbinger in a more substantial way at some point, but didn't have time to implement it. A familiar pattern.

My problem is that a lot of the responses in that discussion were like this; justifications after the fact bordering on patronising. I'd have more respect for them if they dropped the PR nonsense and just answered honestly: "Why did we use a stock photo for Tali? Because we didn't have the time of money needed to do a full face scan and build a proper mesh for her."

In other news; the full Leviathan trailer is out.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjenu-f_3g[/yt]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012