Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Nope, every time I've tried to do so it's said "you must equip at least two weapons," or something like that.
    Oh yeah, don't worry, I'm already aware of that trick. It's certainly better than nothing. :techman:

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Damn, that's lame. My girlfriend's Adept barely fires off her pistol; it would have been nice if she could have at least reduced her weapon load to just said pistol!

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anybody playing on PC, since the game requires Origin to play anyways, so why bother with getting a disc? :p

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I bothered because I don't trust that Origin will be around for very long (the bloody thing is still in beta for goodness sake!), because I bought the first two games on steam and thought it would be nice to have a physical copy of the third one and because it came with a cool little N7 velcro patch!:p

...oh and I had plenty of credit on Amazon to burn. :D

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, if you don't intend on playing MP, you can always crack the DRM. If you want MP, you're stuck with Origin.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Honestly, I don't seeing MP surviving for long once they stop making new DLC so that's not going to be much of an issue in the long run.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

EA is pretty notorious for shutting down its multiplayer servers rather quickly, so I'd have to agree. If BioWare isn't still supporting ME3 multiplayer a year from now, those servers will get shuttered. The decreased thresholds for EMS post-Extended Cut are a good thing in light of that tendency.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^And probably not a coincidence.

9. Skywalker

I'm glad they lowered the EMS threshold, because the Renegade I just finished earlier tonight ended up with 3187. :lol:

10. Quinton O'Connor

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...ct-3s-next-single-player-dlc-may-retake-omega

I've seen the BSN thread in question; interesting stuff. Fans are getting their hopes up entirely too high that that "OmgHub" file will literally mean an expansive "hub" style location for Omega again a la ME2 just because of its wording, I think, but it would be nice.

Most ME fans have known Retake Omega was coming as DLC, barring the unlikely circumstance in which there were other plans for the place, but as is seemingly customary with ME3 news, the data files are starting to pop up...

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Now that Cerberus' plans have come to light, I have next to no interest in retaking Omega. I honestly thought out why Cerberus would want Omega and how that would further their own goals.

I even theorized that Cerberus' goal was not to defeat the Reapers, but to survive them. They wanted Omega and it's unique relay so they would have access to the center of the galaxy, an area of space that is only accessed by that one relay. After all, what is their number one goal? Human dominance. What better way to ensure that by taking a select group of humans to hide at the center of the galaxy, and wait while the Reapers wipe out every technologically advanced race there is? Once the Reapers are done, Cerberus will have 50,000 years to prepare for the next cycle and dominate any race that might become technologically advanced.

But instead of doing something dark and cold, we instead get the typical mad scientist plot "We can control them to do our bidding!".

12. Briquettes

Briquettes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I think I'll pass on this one. I'll get Leviathan because it's likely to flesh out the reapers some, but I just don't give a shit about cerberus anymore. The handling of Cerberus and TIM was the only part of ME3 that really disappointed me (except the ending, but that was more anger than disappointment).

13. Skywalker

Why should we give a crap about retaking Omega, anyway? We've already got Aria's cooperation.

14. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Free drinks at Afterlife? Oh wait, they already are free. Hmm...

15. Quinton O'Connor

Geez, guys. I dunno, because it might add really cool gameplay and storyline interactions? Maybe it'll suck -- it's good to wait for reviews on things one's not sure about, of course! But I love the game enough to willingly make it as big as the DLC team is gunning for, with the obvious exception of if something winds up terrible somehow, because more replay value pays for that $10 price tag.

I guess maybe if you aren't planning on replaying the game even half as often as I am, then it makes a difference, but really, meta knowledge on ME3's endgame =/= reasons for Hackett, Aria, or anyone else to convince Shepard that Omega is worth taking a look at earlier on in the game. I know it's an exaggeration, but to me It's almost like saying, "I already bought Season 7, I already know how the Dominion is defeated, why should I buy Season 5?"

I mean, not to beat a dead horse (this argument's been going on across the fandom for months now) but Overlord -- it didn't do jack for ME2's ending, nor was there much insinuation that it'd do anything substantial at all for ME3.

Realistically, Shepard could have looked at the email for Project Overlord, ROFLMAO'd, said, "oh wow, Cerberus wants me to fix their problem? Hahaha, no." and walked away, you know! It's not until arrival at Aite that Gavin Archer explains "a technological apocalypse", yadda yadda.

Maybe some of y'all disliked or never purchased Overlord, in which case I'm barkin' up the wrong tree, but for my money (literally) I like it even more than LOTSB and get chills every time I reach its conclusion. Retake Omega might be that way, too, y'know. :P

Not to mention, going back to the meta knowledge argument for a sec, earlier-into-ME3 Shepards. I think all many of them would need to hear is, "something grimdark is happening down there at the heart of the Terminus, something involving Cerberus and something tied to the Reaper menace," and they'd jump. At least, mine would.

But yeah, I mean, I won't push anymore, I'm not marketing the damn thing or anything. I just don't see how a good time isn't worth the admission price...

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Maybe there's something other than the collector base (or wreckage thereof) on the other side of the Omega 4 relay? It'd make sense since it seems unlikely that the Reapers would set up that little hidey hole for their surviving husks in the network only after the last cycle. Odds are that's where all the leftovers end up.

For that matter, Omega itself might have something hidden away? After all it was originally a Prothean mining operation. Could it just be a coincidence that they were mining an asteroid that just so happened to be orbiting close to an impassable relay? Maybe they weren't drilling for eezo but for some lost artefact. Perhaps a reaper relic like Object Rho (also buried in an asteroid) or something from one of the races of a previous cycle.

Perhaps Bioware are planning for every major DLC to somehow tie back into and reveal a little more of the origin of the Reapers? That would certainly be interesting, and a compelling hook to get fans to part with their money.

...Or maybe Shepard just wants an excuse to stare at Aria's tits some more. She was certainly one of the more interesting characters introduced in ME2 and I wouldn't mind having her riding shotgun for a nice little adventure.

17. Quinton O'Connor

ME3 in general really likes the mystery-->revelations setup, although obviously opinions are sharply divided on how much of that stuff really worked. The comics are generally very shallow in execution, too, although I really do think the Invasion four-parter stands with the recently-released Homeworlds: Garrus as the cream of a somewhat rancid crop.

So yeah, given BioWare's track record with tie-in media, I wouldn't count Omega out as being identically shallow to Invasion, its setup piece. Then again, sometimes things wind up more shallow in the games (I actually like Kai Leng, unlike A LOT of fans, but his racist angle was played down so much in ME3, dammit) so again, good to wait to hear from people ya trust before forking over dough if you're unsure.

18. Skywalker

Whoa, whoa, simmer down, guys. :lol: I don't have a problem with the DLC, I've just never been a huge fan of Aria or Omega, so a DLC centered around retaking it doesn't sound terribly interesting to me. I'll probably end up downloading it once I've got some spare cash, since I still enjoy the gameplay.

19. Quinton O'Connor

LOL, I'm sorry I sound so passionate about these things sometimes. It's just that... erm, well, I am! :lol:

I mean, I'm the same way with stuff like Star Trek, I just can't think of any actually great comparisons offhand.

That's totally understandable, Skywalker... I think a lot of my pent-up emotion over this stuff really just stems from the legion of really fervent haters out there post-ME3's release. It doesn't help that I love ME3. You name the ridiculous statement of negativity, it's been said. The other day I saw someone claim LOTSB was completely useless and the "biggest waste of money they'd ever experienced" because it didn't directly impact the endings. :vulcan:

20. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kai Lang showed up in Karpyshins last book, right? His first two books were solid. I have a hard time believing that he'd write a character as godawful as ME3 Kai Lang (I can't say enough bad things about that guy. It's like they were trying to make him the most annoying enemy ever).

Just as a side note, I'll buy Leviathan, Omega, and any other story DLC. I will eventually pick up the art book they released last year and I will also buy the next full game when it comes out in 3ish years. Once I have it, I will probably lose a month to six weeks playing it through 2 or 3 times in a row. They have me by the quads. At least until they screw up. More Grunt and Javik (possibly the best alien character of the trilogy) and Zaeed, and less Kai Lang and that doctor from Arrival.