Marvel films, it's time for a Black female lead

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Infern0, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Larry David needs to step into this thread and determine who is Jewish. Also, maybe we can finally have a Jewish Sue Storm.

and Cap has an alarming similarity to Human Torch in another reality. So? Also, no one seems to give a damn that Banner had some serious plastic surgery done after Harlem.

Also: Kenneth Choi, Alfre Woodard,Patton "TV's Son of TV's Frank" Oswald. It's a non issue, if they want her for the role.

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I guess that was directed at me?! And I need to call bullshit. Kenneth Choi played grandfather/grandson, Patton Oswalt played brothers where the whole point was that they all look alike, and Alfre Woodard had exactly one scene in the MCU movies before appearing on "Luke Cage", and the Netflix shows (and even SHIELD's) canon status is highly questionable at this point.

To have the same actress play (and presumably continue to play) a major character in the Black Panther movies, the first of which was just released last year, and a different major superhero with her very own relationship with Black Panther is ridiculous. There are other talented actors of her gender and ethnicity out there, there's no need to have her do double duty.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    TREK_GOD_1 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  3. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, your right, I completely forgot about that, guess I should watch Black Panther again soon.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Good point.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the record, Storm is from Harlem, she just grew up in Africa (and the village where she wound up living as a teen when she was worshipped as a goddess was actually the village her ancestors came from).

But I definitely agree about Beyonce and if they can find a great lesser known African actress, I say go for it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You mean "White, straight, male filmmakers just made their films."

BeatleJWOL, YLu, gblews and 2 others like this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Her mother is Kenyan and her father is an American. Her time in Harlem must have been brief since she was a small child when orphaned in Egypt.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Grendelsbayne

Yeah, her parents moved to Cairo for a job opportunity when she was a baby. Or a toddler. I'm not sure, come to think of it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not saying that. But I also never had a problem with anyone making the films. It's about the story. If a character is black and female then cast for that. But to create something in order to JUST fill the "we need a black and female character" is the wrong approach

10. Professor Zoom

Perhaps not intentionally, but when you say back in the day, that’s what you’re talking about. One shouldn’t ignore the context of who was making the films and shaping decisions for the last 100 years of filmmaking.

What a way to take a stand.
    But who is deciding what characters get movies?

Why?

Tapping into underrepresented markets seems like a really good idea. *looking at the billion dollars and Academy award Black Panther won*

Also, without conscious choices being made, nothing would change. The same people would make the same decisions.

BeatleJWOL, YLu, gblews and 2 others like this.
  11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I disagree. IUf you find a good story that has a male character or female character than make that story. If there hasn't been one in a while, with a certain type of character (say, black female) you don't make up one JUST to fill that need. That's not creativity

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Six months according to UXM #102
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Professor Zoom

With what?

Of course it is. It’s creativity meeting a demand.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

you should not put the agenda before the story

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Now that Disney is going to reboot DIE HARD.. how much do you want to bet that it won't have a straight while male lead anymore. It will have someone of some race, or a female.. oira female of color. I guarantee it

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And the problem with that would be...?

BeatleJWOL, YLu, gblews and 4 others like this.
  17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the idea is that divesity has to feel realistic. If you do a Captain America story in 1945 he basically has to be white because of the time. Yet you come to 2019 it is no big deal that he becomes black with Sam. At same time a good story should't be avoided just because your going run into these issues. All depending on how important the artist feels it is. I personally am okay with the artist casting whoever they want. They shouldn't listen to fans at all. Make what you want to make. If fans love it then that is great. If not then just watch something else. Jason

18. Grendelsbayne

Actually, there was a black Captain America during WWII in the comics. Isaiah Bradley was the sole survivor of the first project to try to replicate what happened to Steve, and his super-soldier formula eventually gave him Alzheimers, but there were obviously plenty of interesting stories to tell from that point of view and there was nothing unbelievable about the US govt. being willing to experiment on black soldiers. And if (in a post mcu world) one wanted to make a Captain America movie about him, rather than about Steve, there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Nyotarules and Turtletrekker like this.
  19. Jayson1

If it bothers you don't watch. I mean it will likely suck anyway because they will make it pg-13 and the action will involve to much cgi but if they casted someone like Jamie Fox it could work. Jason

20. Jayson1

That actually sounds interesting. When I used Captain America as example I was thinking more from the story stuf. Like Captain America being used to sale war bonds and getting trading cards made and maybe even being a little more naive about the world than he will become. I really like the movie and would hate it if Marvel had passed on it for being to white. Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.