Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

• Total voters
I thought the Punisher's second season should just have been a completely different story rather than bringing back all the characters from the first season. The Punisher works best as an R-Rated A-Team when he is helping someone in need. He doesn't need a supporting cast in the same way that Murdock or other characters do.

I never bothered watching the second season of The Punisher but I at least enjoyed Bernthal's performance on Daredevil.

That all said, this tidbit is far more newsworthy for me:

However, other actors from the Netflix Daredevil series are not expected to return. Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson, who played classic supporting characters Karen Page and Foggy Nelson, respectively, are not on the roll call for the Marvel series. It is also unclear whether those characters will be recast or excised from the story.
This is quite disappointing. :(

This worries me more than i already do.

The problem is that Netflix set the bar so high in terms of quality ( my opinion), style and grittiness that Disney would have it hard to follow even if they used the entire original team, both production and actors.

After i've seen him on She Hulk it feels like a completely new character just with the same actor and i don't believe he'll be able to pull off the same level of acting he did on Netflix because the character won't be written as such.

I'm ready to eat my words and i hope i have to but right now i don't see this coming anywhere near what made live action Daredevil so special.

Bernthal returning as The Punisher. Fantastic. Wonderful. This is the most exciting MCU news since learning Mackie would be the next Captain America (my two favorite "corners" of the Marvel film franchise). The MCU always needed the Punisher for the perspective of a "regular" on crime (the purpose he served when his origin was detailed in the 70s), and what said "regular" is willing to do to stop it.

Although he will be in the Daredevil series, on my MCU wishlist, I still want him to appear in a Spider-Man film...but when one considers the nature of the MCU's Spider-Man films to date, that--unfortunately--will not happen, despite it having the potential to be one of the best movies featuring that character.

This worries me more than i already do.

The problem is that Netflix set the bar so high in terms of quality ( my opinion), style and grittiness that Disney would have it hard to follow even if they used the entire original team, both production and actors.

After i've seen him on She Hulk it feels like a completely new character just with the same actor and i don't believe he'll be able to pull off the same level of acting he did on Netflix because the character won't be written as such.

I'm ready to eat my words and i hope i have to but right now i don't see this coming anywhere near what made live action Daredevil so special.

Beh, the way he acted in She-Hulk is closer to how he usually acts in the comics.

Pretty much. Might as well treat him as new.

Well, She-Hulk was a sitcom. Think of how Emil Blonsky was portrayed there vs. in The Incredible Hulk, or how Wong was portrayed compared to the Doctor Strange movies. Naturally any MCU character is going to be written more comically in She-Hulk than in something more serious. So it makes no sense to expect that Matt will be written or played the same way in Born Again that he was in She-Hulk.

We haven't heard much about the second season of What If...?, but now we know the plot of one of the episodes and how it'll focus on a brand new character:

We are excited to share a look at one of those new characters: the all-new Marvel Super Hero Kahhori.

What If…? asks what would happen if the Tesseract fell to Earth and landed in the sovereign Haudenosaunee Confederacy before the colonization of America.

The Tesseract takes on a new life and a new mythology, transforming a lake into a gateway to the stars and leading Kahhori, a young Mohawk woman, on a quest to discover her power.

Written by Ryan Little (What If…? ), the episode was created in close collaboration with members of the Mohawk Nation like historian Doug George and Mohawk language expert Cecelia King to ensure cultural authenticity. The episode takes place in the Mohawk language and is informed by the history of the Akwesasne region in what is now upstate New York.
Check out the article for more details, including a full look at Kahhori herself and how to pronounce her name correctly.

I'm excited that the second season is broadening its scope beyond characters we've already seen in the MCU but with a twist. Although that said, I hope Kahhori will show up in the live-action realm sooner than later.

It shouldn't be an issue, a new character like that. I mean, Coulson was made up for the MCU movies and has been incorporated into other media since.

Heck, Max Schreck from Batman Returns was 100% made up for the movie and he was a superb character no one complained about.

We haven't heard much about the second season of What If...?, but now we know the plot of one of the episodes and how it'll focus on a brand new character:

We are excited to share a look at one of those new characters: the all-new Marvel Super Hero Kahhori.

What If…? asks what would happen if the Tesseract fell to Earth and landed in the sovereign Haudenosaunee Confederacy before the colonization of America.

The Tesseract takes on a new life and a new mythology, transforming a lake into a gateway to the stars and leading Kahhori, a young Mohawk woman, on a quest to discover her power.

Written by Ryan Little (What If…? ), the episode was created in close collaboration with members of the Mohawk Nation like historian Doug George and Mohawk language expert Cecelia King to ensure cultural authenticity. The episode takes place in the Mohawk language and is informed by the history of the Akwesasne region in what is now upstate New York.
Check out the article for more details, including a full look at Kahhori herself and how to pronounce her name correctly.

I'm excited that the second season is broadening its scope beyond characters we've already seen in the MCU but with a twist. Although that said, I hope Kahhori will show up in the live-action realm sooner than later.
That sounds really cool.

Heck, Max Schreck from Batman Returns was 100% made up for the movie and he was a superb character no one complained about.

To be fair, parents were too busy complaining about the ghastliness of the rest of the movie for any other complaints to surface.

But I don't mind characters being created first in other media. Jimmy Olsen, for example! And, as you said, Coulson was all kinds of awesome.

But I don't mind characters being created first in other media. Jimmy Olsen, for example! And, as you said, Coulson was all kinds of awesome.

Harley Quinn is perhaps the most successful example besides Jimmy (Jimmy's popularity has waned, but he had his own self-titled book for two decades). Also Renee Montoya, from the same source (Batman: The Animated Series), has done pretty well for herself. And some screen-original characters have been quite popular within their own shows even if they haven't become big in the comics or other adaptations, like Jack McGee, Chloe Sullivan, and John Diggle.

Anyway, I think this is a really cool idea for a What If...? episode. Usually they're just slight variations on stories we know, but this is taking the alternate-history premise much deeper, which is quite innovative. And it's continuing Marvel's admirable practice in recent years of using its bully pulpit to give a voice to cultures that have been underrepresented in Western media.

THAT is super cool!

That's great, she was fantastic in Prey and she even has a history with Marvel since she was in Legion, where she was also fantastic.

Back