Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

20.1%
  2. A

29.9%
  3. A-

14.9%
  4. B+

7.8%
  5. B

13.0%
  6. B-

2.6%
  7. C+

1.9%
  8. C

3.2%
  9. C-

3.2%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

2.6%
  1. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why do I feel that if we were talking about a man of the same age this discussion would be very different?

Saul and Commander Troi like this.
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Does the Seinfeld dance count?

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

With the current storyline of MCU being Multiverse, I wonder if we'll see an Alt-Coulson show up at some point.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How old was Liam Neeson when he did the first Taken movie?
    Keanu Reeves is in his late 50s and he's still doing John Wick movies, and Bob Odenkirk just did Nobody at 58 or 59 depending on when it was filmed.

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't see how that applies when we're talking about martial arts. I mean, Michelle Yeoh is 60 and she's still doing action films. As I said, the difference is that Yeoh has been doing physically active roles for decades, so her fitness would be better than that of a woman of the same age who has never trained in martial arts before.

On the other hand, Yeoh went into martial arts films because a back injury kept her from becoming a dancer. There is a fair amount of illusion involved in film stunts, making people look more athletic or powerful than they really are, or designing stunts to work around their physical limitations.

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Hey, if Julia feels up to it and wants to go full action villainess, more power to her. :evil:

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

With Quake and Melinda May.

8. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Not always, or maybe name on the front/logo on the back?
    [​IMG]

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Unexpected given what I have seen of the character so far but that would actually be very cool. Would love to see.

She physically dominated George, Jerry and Kramer when she was mad.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that makes sense.

Maybe the Agnes of Westview chair is an on-camera prop for a show-within-the-show sequence.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know... especially if Zendaya and TOm Holland are still dating... that would be soooo awkward.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-Gwen? But, I agree Black Cat would be right. I can see a scenario where "Everyone's moved on--MJ is dating Flash (or someone)" since they don't remember Peter. It seemed to me that NWH's ending was meant to set up a Brand New Day type of story.

NOTE: ABOVE WAS EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION AS MY ORIGINAL POST DIDN'T SEEM TO MAKE SENSE.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moved on in the movies? Comics? Real life?? because if it is the last one, which Flash??? If it is Ezra Miller, then Zendaya needs some intervention ASAP!

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't know they were dating, but it wouldn't be the first time a real life couple were paired other people when starred in the same movie or show. Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter were married while they co-starred on Dexter, but he spent most of the show with Julie Benz's character as his girlfriend/wife.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Completely bizarre thing to say. Do you really think any actor who takes on any role with any kind of romantic aspect or just a role where they have a partner, has to be single? You do know what acting means, right?

19. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're conflating a working title with a codename. A working title is exactly that; a project title that is meant to be temporary until they think of a better one, because they have to call it *something* while they're making the thing. This is fairly typical with large studio productions as usually the marketing people don't really get all that involved until post production and they can have a significant influence on the final title (but not always.) Indeed a production can go through several working titles over the course of production (pre & post) before then finally settle on a release title.

A codename is as one might surmise is a fake working title chosen to deliberately obfuscate exactly what the project is about, and as such is mostly a bookkeeping thing, used mostly just for locations shoots. Granted they're functionally identical in a sense, but the distinction is one of intent. The former exists because: "fuck it, we need to print something on the receipts!" the latter is because: "we'd rather not have the location shoot swarming with paparazzi & rubbernecks, nor have all the local businesses suddenly put an extra zero on the end of their prices because they think we're made of money."

Incidentally, the latter was the real reason for the now legendary 'Blue Harvest' codename for 'Revenge of the Jedi' (aka: the actual working title of the film.) It was no secret the film was being made. Indeed it was widely reported, which is kinda the point. Star Wars was a known quantity, and would have been recognised if the logo was plastered all over the crew gear and vehicles. It's only partially successful because the minute you start building a giant plywood spaceship out in the Yuma dunes, and Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher & Mark Hamill roll into town, people will put it together. The point is usually to slow the spread of rumours not stop them (because you can't) so by the time the looky-loos and/or the press show up, you're hopefully almost done with the shoot and ready to move elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Commander Troi and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

FWIW, Wikipedia asserts the same conflation [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_title#Purpose]:

Working titles are used primarily for two reasons – the first being that an official title has not yet been decided upon, with the working title being used purely for identification purposes, and the second being a ruse to intentionally disguise the real nature of a project.​

And it explicitly states that Blue Harvest was the working title of ROTJ [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Jedi#Filming]:

The project was given the working title Blue Harvest with a tagline of "Horror Beyond Imagination." This disguised what the production crew was really filming from fans and the press, and also prevented price gouging by service providers.[11]​

I'm not saying they're right, because I know next to nothing about the business. I'm saying that, if they're wrong, they're feeding the confusion, and, for all I know, they could be right.