Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

20.1%
  2. A

29.9%
  3. A-

14.9%
  4. B+

7.8%
  5. B

13.0%
  6. B-

2.6%
  7. C+

1.9%
  8. C

3.2%
  9. C-

3.2%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

2.6%
  1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Aweseome trailer - funny but also bittersweet. Seems like the Guardians are in it for a rough time on a very personal level.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Boy, they are really putting the tear ducts under a stress test now. A friend of mine will surely cry her eyes out over this.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. Dee1891

Dee1891 Captain Captain

Perhaps this is the last Guardians film.

5. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

For this incarnation, yes it is.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that did nothing for me save for the last little bit. The last Guardians movie was such a heart breaking ending that I'm good without any more heartbreak now.

Plus I have no idea what the film is about.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So did I see a Star Trek insignia on Drax in that last scene??

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

At the very least, Gunn has said it is his last Guardians film.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like The Avengers, the Guardians have never been a set team. So yes, as we know them, this IS the last Guardians movie. James Gunn has stated this a long time ago. Doesn't mean Disnip won't be greedy enough to keep on cashing in,

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its not greedy to not just abandon fan favorite characters because a director/writer is moving on. Depending on what Guardians survive/actors still want to keep going, there are a bunch of things they could do with the premise of GotG, and many different versions of the team that could come about even if every current member goes away (which I doubt will happen, especially with the CG characters).

11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin’ Moderator

He's also said it was the last Guardians movie with this particular lineup leaving it up for more movies with a different team lineup.

Commander Troi likes this.
  12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Along with the fact Dave Bautista has made it very clear his loyalty to Gunn while Zoe Saldaña recently expressed franchise fatigue. Aside from some far future one-off appearance, I would be very surprised if any of them will stick around for the next iteration of the Guardians. Maybe Mantis but that's it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vin Diesel would never stop voicing Groot though. You know, because you never abandon family.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Those I know about. Does anyone know what Pratt has said?

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe he also said it's his last marvel movie. That's not to say he would never come back but considering how he got dropped by marvel in the past and how busy he is going to be making DC big again I doubt he will have time for both universes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't say I'm overly concerned at losing Gunn and / or some of the main team. Although I loved the first film, I liked the second one less and three should be enough.

Some of the cast can easily cross over to Nova Corps appearances and a new lineup isn't exactly out of the question.

Guardians were a good bridge into the wider Marvel Universe, but there's enough out there for Marvel to run with - Nova, Warlock, Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar, Galactus, The Surfer, Captain Marvel and so on.

Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am hoping for the Annihilation storyline--it would be a good way to connect our space based characters over several films. That would be my Phase 7 preference.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

We have some casting news for Daredevil: Born Again...although nothing about Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson. Deadline reports in two separate articles that Michael Gandolfini, Margarita Levieva, and Sandrine Holt have joined the cast in unknown roles. I haven't seen anything with Gandolfini, but I loved Levieva's character, Abby, in The Deuce, and Holt pops up all over the place in great supporting roles such as House of Cards and Better Call Saul.

Hopefully we'll hear something about Woll and Henson sooner than later.

Commander Troi likes this.
  19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Casting Director: "When you asked for Gandolfini, you meant Michael, right? Wait, come back..."

20. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now having seen all of the MCU phase 4, my quick rankings:

Movies:
    1. Spider-Man: No Way Home: I can quibble with a few choices made, like how they fridged Aunt May, but this was about as perfect of a conclusion to Peter's arc in the MCU (to date or for good) as we could have asked for.
    2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: A great movie which is just slightly dragged down by having a bit too much stuff in it (American sideplot, likely for Thunderbolts, introducing Riri Williams, etc.).
    3. Shang-Chi: A legitimately great MCU-Wuxia mashup with some of the best action scenes in the MCU to date. Downgraded just a bit because Shang is kinda a boring protagonist (this is his father's movie really) and the CGI dragon fight added in the third act was stupid.
    4. Thor: Love and Thunder: I don't think it was all that bad, TBH. Jokes didn't bother me, and the movie got me to care about Thor and Jane's relationship for the first time ever. Not to say it wasn't flawed as a movie (Act 2 in particular just felt like a complete waste) but I was suitably entertained, and I felt a feeling.
    5. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: I wanted to like this movie more than I did, and Raimi's direction was fantastic. That said, this was an extremely weak script which treated Wanda's character in particular like a garbage plot device with the flimsiest of motivations. I can't believe the character depth we saw in Wandavision was...for this.
    6. Black Widow: Completely unnecessary movie which was seemingly made solely for contractual reasons. The antagonist and motivations were incredibly poorly constructed. Some points for decent family dynamics however.
    7. Eternals: I appreciate what they were trying to do here, but this was one MCU movie that really should have been a Disney+ show. Too many characters, too little runtime. It was also a curious idea to center a superhero movie around characters who...aren't superheroes. To the point where the big philosophical debate of the movie was "hey, maybe we shouldn't save people at all!" Also the whole multiple antagonists, none of which were really given proper focus. Still, it was really pretty.
    TV:
    1. Loki: Clearly, far and away, the best Disney+ show to date. I loved that they leaned into the weird, that it's really a wacky sci-fantasy tale which is pretty far removed from superheroes. Liked they had the confidence to not go with a big stupid battle in the finale which clashed tonally with the rest of the show (unlike some other series). Plus Tom Hiddleston is always great.
    2. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law: This is the first Disney+ show to really embrace that it's a TV show fully, leaning into being a light, semi-serialized sitcom about a character who just happens to have superpowers, rather than being about a superheroine. I give it massive props for that reason. It started and ended on its own terms, and wasn't afraid to buck the conventions the MCU has set.
    3. WandaVision: The beginning of the show was absolutely brilliant, when they leaned into the recreation of TV from different eras. Unfortunately it lost steam as the show shifted focus into the serialized story, and the season finale witch combat between Wanda and Agatha was just awful.
    4. Moon Knight: Moon Knight was...fine. I liked that this was a slightly darker, more mature take on the MCU, and it had the confidence to tell what seems for the moment to be an entirely self-contained story without involving the wider MCU. That said, the show really hasn't had much lasting power in my headspace. It was fine while it lasted, and now it's done. I do hope it gets picked up for a second season though.
    5. Hawkeye: This show was successful at what it did, providing a grounded, lower-stakes family-friendly series, giving an underutilized member of the Avengers his moment to shine, and introducing a (presumable) future Young Avenger. That said, as with Moon Knight, I sort of think this feels like disposable fluff in retrospect.
    6. Ms. Marvel: I thought the show was effective at blending teen coming-of-age dramedy with the MCU format, but it felt like it was trying to do a bit too much across only six episodes, and the world-destroying plot which was introduced in episode 4 was completely and totally unneeded. At least it was resolved before the finale, which was basically a smaller-scale story about rescuing Kamran.
    7. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: The biggest missed opportunity in the entire TV run to date, because it was heading in a really smart/critical fashion setting up John Walker as the primary antagonist, and then walked it all back for a mushy centrist conclusion. As a result, I'm just...why did this need to happen? Cap already gave Sam the shield in Endgame, he was already set to be Captain America, and there was no need for him to nope out, then change his mind due to the poorly-plotted mess that was the Flag Smashers.
    8. What If...: Some of the individual episodes were good, but it was hit/miss, skippable, and the decision to actually create some continuity within the show itself was pretty amazingly wrongheaded.
    Edit: GOTG holiday special would rank between She Hulk and Wandavision, and Werewolf By Night between Wandavision and Moon Knight.

Captaindemotion and Set Harth like this.