Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

20.0%
  2. A

31.3%
  3. A-

14.0%
  4. B+

8.0%
  5. B

13.3%
  6. B-

2.7%
  7. C+

2.0%
  8. C

3.3%
  9. C-

2.7%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

2.7%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

On first viewing I found Eternals probably the worst MCU movie and least enjoyable. But on second viewing I actually really liked it, helps a lot more when from the get go you know what's going on, the Ikaris twist, who's who and what they really are. On first viewing with all those characters fair enough it's definitely a cluster fuck.
    Also a sequel would be a lot more streamlined with 4 of the 10 Eternals now out of the equation at least (Ikaris, Gilgamesh, Ajak dead, Sprite living her human life)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's not a character I'm familiar with, but I agree in that Phase 4 has introduced plenty of characters I want to see more of: Yelena Belova, Kate Bishop, Shang-Chi and Katy, Sersi, America Chavez, Kamala Khan, She-Hulk, etc. I also look forward to seeing more of Sam Wilson as Captain America, and Wong as apparently the new Nick Fury, given how he shows up in practically everything lately.

I think the movies and series in Phase 4 have all been pretty good so far, and I don't get the complaints that the MCU is in decline. Naturally it's going to feel a bit more subdued after the hugeness of the Infinity Saga, but it's all still well-done and there's a nice variety of stuff. And it included the first MCU Spider-Man movie I didn't find underwhelming.

As for Phase 5, though, I'm a bit more uncertain about what's been announced. The Marvels, Captain America: New World Order, and I guess Quantumania are the films I'm most interested in, and I'm curious about Echo, Ironheart, and I guess Daredevil: Born Again on the TV side. But I'm wondering when we'll see more of Shang-Chi and Yelena.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may be unclear just yet whether Shang-Chi 2 will be before or after Secret Wars but you can pretty much assume all of them will be in either Kang Dynasty or Secret Wars (or both). Also a good chance Yelena is in Thunderbolts, given her connection to Valentina.

4. Dee1891

Dee1891 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wasn't that impressed by "No Way Home". I don't care if the movie had included Nicholas Hammond, as well. As for "Shang-chi", I wasn't that impressed by the film's last 20 minutes or so. Out of all the movies in the past six years, I only enjoyed "Ant-Man & the Wasp", which had a weak villain; "Captain Marvel" struck me as entertaining, yet mediocre. And although I liked "The Eternals", it was certainly not hot stuff to me. "WandaVision" was okay, except I didn't care for gimmicky sitcom formats. And "Hawkeye" was pretty decent. Otherwise, Phases 3 and 4 have been a bust to me.

5. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Commander Red Shirt

Despite liking some post Infinity Saga introduced characters (mainly Kamala/Ms Marvel and Sersi) my overall interest in the announced projects (15 movies and 20+ series from Phase 4-6) is low.

the Marvels and Loki season 2 are the only announced projects I'm actively looking forward to.
    With Captain America NWO and Secret Wars being a maybe - depending very much on characters/stories.

I liked Black Widow - but it was about a decade too late and I count it as pre/during Infinity Saga anyway.

To each his own obviously and if your favorite character(s) have yet to appear/have a central role I totally get that it can be very different.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

The only MCU projects I've disliked are Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3.

7. Grendelsbayne

I've had a few disappointments, most recently Ant-man and the Wasp and Hawkeye being the worst ones. The only one I really, genuinely dislike is Iron Man 3.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am guessing that Thunderbolts will be the MCU's Dark Reign storyline rather than making a Dark Avengers movie?

9. Christopher

There are some announced projects that I don't currently have much interest in, but I remind myself that I didn't have much advance interest in Hawkeye or Moon Knight, and they both turned out to be impressive. You never can tell until you actually see the thing.

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping they're doing the short-lived version of the comic where it was about a super-powered wrestling league. (No I didn't make that up.)

Nerys Myk likes this.
  11. Grendelsbayne

I hope not, as a huge fan of the classic Thunderbolts concept. But it's possible. There's too little information to say so far.

12. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, I think some people don't remember how things were, starting and slowly building-up back in Phase One and early Phase Two.

Commander Troi and Booji like this.
  13. Christopher

Right. If they tried to top themselves with another huge event in every "Phase," they'd be making the same mistake as Marvel Comics (at least back around the time of Civil War, Disassembled, etc.), always trying to do the next massive annual crossover event that screws up the individual titles' story arcs so they can't keep a status quo going for any length of time. The big events should be rare and special things, arising only when there's a really good reason for them.

14. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Commander Red Shirt

Couldn't have summarized it better, no matter how much time I'd use.
    Personally I've always prefer the smaller stories over the galactic existential threat, MCU or otherwise.

Just speaking with friends and colleagues there is some superhero fatigue around for sure. the "novelty" also has worn off.
    Not to say there aren't new fans coming trough or new successes aren't possible - just to be clear.

15. Christopher

I don't get that, because the MCU series are all so different. "Superhero" is a very broad label, since comics are so eclectic that they include just about every imaginable genre. For instance, Shang-Chi felt so much like a wuxia kung fu movie that I almost forgot it was a Marvel movie -- I mean, good grief, large portions of it are in Mandarin -- while Multiverse of Madness is a straight-up Sam Raimi horror movie. And shows like Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel have their own distinctive creative voices and approaches thanks to the diversity of the creators Marvel is hiring. They may all fall under the "superhero" rubric, but they're as eclectic as anything in TV today. I mean, I never expected a superhero TV show to tackle the painful legacy of the 1947 Partition of India and Pakistan.

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I get that Phase 4 doesn't have a through line, and is more about setting up the new pieces on the table for later use. But one thing I do wish was that the "ancienty secrety otherworldly do da's" of Eternals, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight and Ms Marvel, were a lot more connected. Even if just with little nods and winks, "that connects slightly to this, this is a little reference to that, etc" and so on. Even the gods thing with Thor: Love & Thunder too.
    I think that would have helped link it all together more, as it is barely feels like those five projects take place in the same universe at all.

17. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I find the MCU franchise is just about the most reliably entertaining franchise out there. Maybe not the best, but I trust them at this point. I've found even their weakest movies at least fine, and - aside from Inhumans and Iron Fist season 1 - the same goes for their TV shows.

Well, maybe the only good live action Transformers film...

But I'm sure you'll still post about it afterwards without having seen it...

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fair point there!

19. Christopher

I see that as a feature, not a bug. I mean, most series nominally set in the real world exist independently of each other. If there's a wide range of unrelated things happening to different people in the MCU, it helps it feel more like the actual universe it purports to be.

The great thing about a shared universe is that it isn't all the same and you don't even have to like every part of it. Each part has its own focus and appeal and its own target audience, and some people (like me) might be willing to watch it all and follow the interconnections, but others might be content just to watch one or two series and still get a complete experience. It's good for a franchise to appeal to more than one audience, to let each series be its own different thing and have the connections be a bonus that supplements the parts rather than overshadowing them. Different people have different tastes, after all, and so offering a wide variety is more democratic, more inclusive. That was always the strength of the Marvel and DC Comics universes, that incredibly eclectic nature that included everything from gritty crime drama to space opera to Lovecraftian horror to romance to sword and sorcery to zany comedy.

Granted, there are times when the lack of overt connection does feel more like a disconnect of realities -- for instance, having a giant stone hand sticking out of the Earth's crust should have altered the planet's rotational balance and caused worldwide disasters and climate shifts, yet nobody's even mentioned it. (Unless Eternals is set after the other shows/films. The only reference I've seen is Kamala and Kamran talking about Kingo's movies.) So there are some places where a bit more consistency/interconnection would be appreciated.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because the plotting of that phase is so loose, only marginally linked to the other films by Easter Eggs and teases, but the actual stories never feel like a linked universe with some meaning to characters and their motives, and has not been the case since phase 1.