Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.4%
  2. A

35.2%
  3. A-

12.8%
  4. B+

7.2%
  5. B

15.2%
  6. B-

2.4%
  7. C+

2.4%
  8. C

3.2%
  9. C-

1.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.6%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Every time I watch the trailer and I see the trio of tall statues, I keep thinking I'm seeing "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" until I pause it and see all three statues are exactly the same. I'm curious if there's any regarding those statues and whether it's something that's explain. Or if I'm just seeing something that isn't anything.

Stupid by whose standards? Needed by whose standards? Owen Wilson's Mobius specifically says that the TVA "protect the proper flow of time" and also says that Loki taking the Tesseract "broke reality." By their own standards, Thanos' Snap is that proper flow of time, despite the dire consequences, because it happened without any outside temporal forces (and remained so for five years). Loki's actions, which weren't even premeditated, suggests that the Avengers' active removal of the Infinity Stones would also break reality.

As for Cap returning them, at what point does the TVA know that Cap successfully did that? It becomes a question of temporal mechanics and how the TVA perceives what happens when and which was is the correct way. And how they define as "correct."

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Half of everyone in the universe" doesn't cut it for you? Including half the TVA's own membership, presumably.

No, because the Avengers put them back.

What a strange question to ask about time travelers. I mean, we literally saw them looking at a graph of branching timelines. Clearly their perception of time is not limited to the instantaneous present.

Not to mention that Cap agreed to return them to just after they were taken. So that means they were never really missing for any length of time. Just because the viewpoint characters (and the audience) didn't experience that return until later doesn't mean their subjective perception of the sequence of events outweighs the objective chronology of the universe.

Also, your questions presuppose that the TVA is capable of intervening instantaneously before any significant disruption can happen. The trailer makes it pretty clear that Loki has been making quite a mess of things before they managed to catch him. And given all the bureaucratic runaround and paperwork we saw, it's no wonder there's a lag in their response time.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like it should be a lot of fun.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what does the Sony - Netflix deal do for the future of Spider-Man movies on D+?

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, I assume in terms of Spider-Man, they are only getting SUMC film and the Into the Spider-Verse films. Also, they mention future films and not specifically the back catalog, so maybe it is limited to films that haven't been released yet.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

None of them are on there now, and they won't be as the deal is in place.

Do we know yet how far along they are on Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk and Moon Knight? I'm just curious when we should expect to start seeing pictures, and trailers, and things like that.

7. The Nth Doctor

Ms. Marvel has been filming since November so I imagine we'll be getting something soon. Moon Knight and She-Hulk both start filming sometime this month.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, that's about where I expected them to be.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  10. The Nth Doctor

She's an excellent addition to the cast! She was also really good in Altered Carbon, which is where I saw her first before I was finally able to watch the Hamilton recording.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

This is going to be one of those "don't think about it too hard" things. The idea of "time police" AND near infinitely branching timelines is inherently at odds.
    Probably about as much as it'll be compared to the The fighting monks of the Order of Wen the Eternally Surprised, from Discworld. ;)
    Honestly, MiB is likely to be the most often mentioned point of reference.
    It still feels so weird to me that they're making Ms. Marvel before a Captain Marvel movie set in the present day.

13. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the reason they didn't do anything about the Avengers was because Cap put the Stones all back. This Loki variant didn't when he used the Space Stone to escape. So that's why they went after him.

14. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, fair points there. I probably won't overthink all of that, but those questions sprung to mind as I watched that trailer for the first time. I do wonder if the show will at least attempt to handwave why it wasn't a big deal.

Feige has specifically said that the Ms. Marvel series will set up the Captain Marvel movie. As seen in WandaVision, it's clear that Captain Marvel has some kind of public profile and fan base so that should be enough to inspire Kamala Khan.

15. Turtletrekker

16. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, I get the logic of it all on paper and I'm not objecting or anything; it just *feels* weird to have the spin-off/sidekick/legacy type character get a show when the "original" only has 1.25-ish movies under her belt...sash...whatever. Like if they did an Ironheart show between Iron Man 1 & 2, or a Birds of Prey movie with Cassandra Cain without doing either a Batman or Batgirl movie first...oh wait... ;)

I mean if you think about it in terms of screentime; by the time Carol gets her second movie, Kamala would have already had something like twice as much screentime, with all the story depth and character development that goes with it.

Does this not feel odd to anyone else?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Thestral likes this.
  17. Turtletrekker

Sure, but then I've always felt it odd that Quake has more screen time than Iron Man, Captain America and Thor combined.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Guardians of the Multiverse crossover planned with the "What if...? members

[​IMG]

19. The Nth Doctor

Give it to me now!

Where did you find that image?

20. Turtletrekker