Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily; historically, comics have had characters of different tones / execution meet and it worked while still operating in continuity (e.g. The Brave and the Bold, Marvel Team-Up, etc.), usually because the story recognizes and plays up the differences before a conflict could be resolved, yet no character is compromised. Its the reason I've felt the Netflix Punisher could appear in a Spider-Man movie (it does not have to mirror how he was introduced in The Amazing Spider-Man #129) initially as an adversary, or perhaps something long term. The Sony/MCU Spider-Man has to grow up, and his world--and risks--should reflect that as he fights crime on the streets (instead of anything to do with aliens / sci-fi elements again and again).

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So you want to him to ignore he's in a bigger world?

If anything, it's Punisher and Daredevil and the others who should be made aware that there's more to THEIR world than street crime.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Nth Doctor, Skywalker and Anwar like this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I realize I mentioned the differences in tone and execution in my other post, but now thinking it over more, I have a feeling the rating and content level are probably more of an issue. I doubt they are going to want to include characters from their very adult, TV-MA Netflix shows in their more family friendly PG-13 movies.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That phrasing could be misconstrued. The actor will be in it, but probably not as Quicksilver. (Although with Wanda's reality-bending powers, who knows?)

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

While I wasn't a fan of Fox's take on the character (although his big scene in Days of Future Past is great), I would love to see Peters show up as an alternate reality Quicksilver.

8. Turtletrekker

Damn. I was hoping to be the one to break the news cuz I wanted to lead off with the headline, "Marvel hires the guy who played Quicksilver in the movies for WandaVision". ;)

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It would be quite something to see him as Quicksilver again in the context of the MCU. Maybe Wanda tries to bring her brother back from the dead but accidentally plucks one from another universe?

Now get Chris Evans to cameo as Johnny Storm. :)

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Evan Peters reprising his role as Quicksilver from an alternate universe would be terrific. Same for Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan as two different Johnnys (maybe some different Spideys but I guess that would be getting a bit off the beaten track). Would be great for a quick gag about the weirdness of alternate universes...or a possible set up for how the MCU will bring in mutants (whether not or not it's the same cast from the XMU).

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

All MCU movies should not have the same tone--which has been a problem for most of that franchise. The comics, had their own feeling and approach, based on the needs of the character, but they were able to crossover when necessary without a hitch. The MCU's handlers can do this, if they have the will to break out of the pattern they've been locked into throughout most of their films. Spider-Man in particular cannot be another "teen" flavored Parker in a sci-fi world still heavily influenced by main arc of the other films. Adding The Punisher, Daredevil, et al., would expand the MCU feeling that heroes and crime on the more real level needs to be addressed, rather than anything to do with aliens / sci-fi plots.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Or rather the other way around, that there's more to THEIR worlds than just dealing with random street thugs when you're facing International Terrorists or Alien Invasions or Demonic Entities.

13. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was in Starlin's "Infinity Abyss" where one of the characters said something to the effect of needing heroes like Spider-Man who mainly focus on the street level thugs so that the Avengers aren't distracted when the big threats hit.

14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I was all set to announce it with "What - you didn't see that coming?"

15. Turtletrekker

Starlin also had Master Order and Lord Chaos (wow. the names they come up with for these characters.) state that they were the ones that chose Peter Parker to be Spider-Man just so he could be in the right place at the right time to free Adam Warlock from the soul gem to defeat Thanos.

Anwar likes this.
  16. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Oh, we're talking about Starlin again! I recently re-read some of his Warlock run, and I still think its the best work he's done (or at least of what I read of his, which is most of what he's done).

17. Turtletrekker

Avengers annual 7 and Marvel two-in-one annual 2 (the conclusion of Starlin's Warlock run for those who don't know) rank amongst some of the best comics Marvel has ever published.

Anwar, M'rk son of Mogh and Jinn like this.
  18. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His work is fresh on my mind because I just did a read-through of all of his Marvel stuff (on his last book now, "The Infinity Ending"), and I know some people think he went to the well a few too many times, but holy, I am eating this stuff up again! It's so good.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

So, yeah, excited for a maybe Quicksilver to come back.

Jinn likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my other post I started talking about the content and the rating, not the tone. I just can't see them bringing characters from the very adult, TV-MA Netflix series over into the MCU movies. They're not going to want to be seen as encouraging their younger fans to watch adult shows. The only way I could see it happening, is if they are off in an R-rated MAX style side series that doesn't have any impact on the rest of the MCU.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They went that direction with Deadpool and Logan.