Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It's weird that anyone would be upset about that or see it as "replacement." Characters get played by different actors -- that's how drama works. Any major Marvel character has been written and drawn by dozens of different creators, so why should it be hard to accept more than one actor playing the role? Heck, Snipes wasn't even the first actor to play Blade -- that was J.D. Hall in the '90s Spider-Man animated series. And after Snipes, he's been played in live action by Kirk "Sticky Fingaz" Jones in the TV series based on the movies, and voiced by Terry Crews in the Disney XD animated Marvel shows.

Greg Cox likes this.
  2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Amen. The idea that one actor "owns" a role for all time flies in the face of the entire history of movies and theater.

Heck, Chris Evans, who everybody loves as Captain America, is at least the fourth actor to play the role in live-action, but nobody complains that he's "replacing" Dick Purcell, Reb Brown, or Matt Salinger. :)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't remember if it's been mentioned on here, but they also announced that WandaVision will feature the introduction of Teyonah Parris as the adult version of Monica Rambeau. I wonder if we can also expect her to pop up in the Captain Marvel sequel?

The Nth Doctor and Greg Cox like this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Gaith and Anwar like this.
  5. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

And no one ever will.

Morpheus 02, Gaith and Anwar like this.
  6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet when people think of Frankenstein's monster, to this day, Karloff is seen as the version, with all who followed him in the role (in the rest of the Universal films and other studios' productions) never coming close to his impact/popularity with audiences.

Not really a good comparison, as the other actors--unlike a Wesley Snipes as Blade--were not particularly successful (the serial and the Salinger film were total flops), and not popular to the masses in the Cap role, so there was no audience investment in / love for those earlier interpretations of the role..

Morpheus 02 and suarezguy like this.
  7. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually I see Peter Boyle. But I've always preferred Comedy over Horror. :biggrin:

TREK_GOD_1 and Nerys Myk like this.
  8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

777, Turtletrekker and Anwar like this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For generations, perhaps, but, as it much as it pains me to say this because Karloff is one of my very favorite actors, ask somebody under the age of 30 who "Boris Karloff" is and they will probably give you a blank look or, just as likely, confuse him with Bela Lugosi or Vincent Price or one of the Lon Chaneys. They'll recognize the classic Jack Pierce makeup as "Frankenstein," sure, but will they know who played him in what movie? Probably not.

Just the other day, in another forum, somebody posted something about Boris Karloff being a great silent-movie actor because his parents were deaf. (Spoiler: that was Lon Chaney Sr.). Alas, as the years go by, I find the classic horror stars of yore are blurring into one collective Old-Time Horror Movie Guy as far as the general public is concerned: Boris Lugosi Chaney Jr. :)

(And Lugosi is usually "Legosi.")

Granted, some actors make a bigger impression in a role than others, but it's not like Hollywood retired Sherlock Holmes after Basil Rathbone, or Dracula after Lugosi, or even the Frankenstein Monster after Karloff. No actor is irreplaceable or stays "definitive" forever.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  10. The Nth Doctor

James Gunn confirmed that Love and Thunder takes place before Vol. 3, thus nixing my theory of the reverse.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Is it too much to hope to have both The Grandmaster and The Collector together on this one? I mean, we never saw a body for the latter (unless I missed something), and surely the idea of those two actors bouncing off each other after their character having their little fiefdoms taken away has far too much comedy potential to pass up! ;)

Anwar and Marsden like this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, that would be a lot of fun to watch.

We never saw the real Collector in Infinity War, so we have no idea if Thanos spared him or not. Hard money is on not but who knows? Maybe he was having a good day.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'd put money on "he scarpered the moment Thanos showed up". ;)

Gavin70 and Grendelsbayne like this.
  15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

To quote myself:
    And now you want to bring back another assumed-dead character? Oy. ;)

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well now, this is why you shouldn't be making wild assumptions. ;)

17. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, perhaps so. Depending how much advance warning he got and Thanos wasn't fast enough to catch (which could go either way).

My point is dead or alive are equally possible and will land wherever the writers want it to. Yeah, that's true for most cases, but this case wouldn't require much work in either direction.

18. Marsden

I don't know how much the Elders of the Universe are that special in MCU vs. comics but they were very hard to kill.

When The Collector decided collecting wasn't doing it anymore, The Avengers had a very big fight on their hands, like an Ultron or Kang level threat.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Thanos defeated all of the Elders quite handily in the Thanos Quest series by Jim Starlin.

20. Marsden

I missed that one. I just don't think The Collector is dead, but like Sam Sterns, he may never be seen again.