News Martin-Green: Star Trek And Diversity

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

You do realise you're telling a bunch of straight white men they have no place in their own ideology, right?
    Just checking.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why don't you explain what "people like you" want and what in the modern world is making you feel like you're not getting it?

3. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

Well, I mean, I would quite like to be able to watch a stupid sci fi show without being lectured on the unique evil I inflict upon the world for the sin of being evil enough to be born a man with white skin.

4. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

That would be the part about being at best embarressed that so many Star Trek fans are white men.

5. BillJ

You are more than welcome to watch anything you like, you aren't entitled to everyone thinking the same way you do. And, to be honest, I see a lot of whining from some folks but little of the "evil you inflict" stuff you say is happening.

Does "Snowflake" ring a bell?

6. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure most Powers That Be are mostly white males.

It's not that white males are inherently bad or anything, just that they get an unproportional amount of jobs in the entertainment industry.

7. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

Dude, you just now lectured me about how evil white men are and how we deserve all that is coming to us.

8. BillJ

Not even close. But, hey, if it makes you feel better to think that... go ahead.

9. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

10. cultcross

Then you misunderstood the article

11. Jinn

12. BillJ

Any one disliking something confirms their "theories" that everyone is out to get the white man.

13. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

Well, are theatre audiences too white?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/11283846/theatre-audiences-too-white-janet-suzman.html

Are there too many white men in Star Trek? Would Star Trek be better if there were less white men in it? What would not be improved by reducing the number of white men involved?

How many 'is X too white?' articles can you read (and I am sure at this point we have all read a remarkable number of them), before white men start to think, do you know, I don't think these people like me very much.

14. BillJ

:sigh:

It isn't about "too many white men", it is about there not being enough representation from other groups that make up the planet Earth's population. You see it as an attack on white men, when it is about bringing representation of other groups to the fore.

Some white men treat any adjustment of any thing they are involved in as a slap in the face. The problem is their's and they have to overcome being snowflakes.

Grendelsbayne, ozzfloyd and Jinn like this.
  15. cultcross

They are "too white" in the sense that other groups are underrepresented, not that the white participants are evil. But then, you knew that.

Ovation, BillJ and Jinn like this.
  16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Speaking in general terms, and not about you personally, but antisocial people lacking in personal accountability who blame everyone else for their inability to peaceably interact with the world around them, and delusional people who see a country where they are the dominant majority and think they are oppressed and persecuted wherever they go are precisely the kind of people who wind up in those compounds. And yes, they are frequently quite dangerous to their families, to actual oppressed minorities, to government institutions and employees, and to the public at large.

Your problem is you think that represents the worldview of the majority of straight white men and that they are equally incapable of carrying on positive social relationships with most of the world around them, and you think that's how most people view straight white men and not just the antisocial paranoid subset. Most straight white men aren't white separatists, and that is precisely the kind of ideology you're parroting here today.

Which, by the way, is not welcome at this website, not the least of which because it has nothing to do with discussing Star Trek. I know this will contribute to your feeling of general unwelcome-ness everywhere, but somehow I don't think that problem lies with us.

17. Jinn

If we assume that Tyler is human, three out of five human main characters on Discovery are white. Three of the human main characters are male. According to wikipedia 11.5% of the total human population are white. Discovery has 60% of its human main characters white. That is a margin of nearly 50%. And this is not just a phenomenon present in Discovery.

It would be more realistic.

I haven't read a lot of them and the ones I've read seemed all rather rational and based in logic.

18. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

Can you name something that isn't Too White?

19. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

As I say, it has been made very clear to me there is no place for people like me in the future.

20. BillJ

The only way there isn't room for you, is if you think you are better or more deserving of representation and rights than any one else.

Jinn and ozzfloyd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.