Luke Cage season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 11, 2018.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

To each their own. Aside from the first season of Iron Fist, I think all of the seasons have been good to great (including The Punisher which I personally didn't like).

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am hopefully that this just means that Netflix shows will mirror Iron Fist and Power Man of the comics and there is a Power Man and Iron Fist series in the works. It is also possible that Disney just wants to move all the shows over to their own Network?

3. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Fuck Marvel Netflix. First they cancelled "Iron Fist" and then "Luke Cage"? And stuck us with with the overrated "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones"?

Marvel Netflix could have done a special limited series for Luke and Danny and still allowed them to have their own solo shows. Fuck Marvel Netflix!

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You would presume Netflix will do a Heroes for Hire show but I wonder what is really going on. I expect DD to end after 3 and the same for JJ. Maybe with the Disney Network launching soon, Netflix wants to move away from Marvel?

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Daredevil and Jessica Jones certainly worked way better for me than Luke Cage and Iron Fist, but even they're on borrowed time.

Once Disney strip their stuff off Netflix I'll have a problem - I really like Discovery, but there will be literally nothing else on Netflix that interests me. It'll be really tough to justify my subscription.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I mentioned this when Iron Fist was cancelled. How long is disney going to want Netflix having Marvel shows when Disney is setting up it's own platform. I'd say all of these shows are going away from Netflix. Probably Punisher season 2 will be the last.

Of all the shows I hope Daredevil might show up somewhere else in the future. It's the only one I have stuck with past the first season.

7. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Iron Fist I kind of understood after the critical mauling it had in the first season. I didn't particularly enjoy it as much as the other shows so I haven't been back for S2.

Luke Cage though? I really enjoyed S2 and thought it had really mixed things up for S3 and I love Misty and Luke so much. Meh.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's as simple as the viewership not being high enough to justify the cost of production.

I don't think this talk of Netflix being "spiteful" towards Disney because of their building their own streaming service has any merit, since they don't seem to have a problem with helping out CBS AA and DCU by carrying Discovery and Titans internationally. Who knows, if the new Disney service will be US only as well, maybe they'll still carry their exclusives internationally as well. :shrug:

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

A thought occurs: Perhaps this explains why Rosario Dawson wasn't contracted for more appearances beyond Luke Cage season 2, because they knew this was coming?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yup. People always want to blame cancellations on the executives hating the show or having sinister agendas or whatever, but in reality it's simply about profit vs. loss.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With Netflix pruning if not outright getting to move away from Marvel shows there's prob going to be much less incentive for me to keep Netflix. You tend to keep a lower rate longer when the price goes up because of being grandfather protected for a time, but that only matters if the service is providing regular content that warrants remaining subscribed.

If instead of getting a Marvel multiple times a year you get it once or twice that's 10 months of the year you're paying for the service without a show. The only show I care about on Netflix is Stranger Things outside of the Marvel universe and you could easily just resubscribe when the new season comes out and save a lot of money.

12. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing is, since there is no advertising revenue for Netflix series, there is nothing at all simple about profit vs. loss for any Netflix series. The profit Netflix gets is from people subscribing to the service. Any given series is thus more or less the equivalent of clickbait. From Netflix perspective, the buzz about a series is what gets people to sign on. How do they know what attracts people? They probably look more at what new subscribers watch. What do new subscribers watch? What "people" have said is good. People in this case appears to largely mean social media/internet. Thus, the highly negative reaction to an antihero like Danny Rand doomed Iron Fist. And the lesser interest in Luke Cage doomed it.

14. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I didn't bother with Season 2 of either Iron Fist or Luke Cage. They just weren't good shows. I hope this doesn't mean Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Punisher are being cancelled too.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Way things are going, seems like systematic elimination. Of course, all the Netflix Marvel shows seem to go downhill a bit after their first seasons anyways. Even JJ and Luke Cage's first seasons suffered from there not being enough story to fill the episode amount ordered.

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think the key point is that the creative differences were between Marvel and Netflix rather than just a a studio and a show-runner. In the latter case, the studio usually has enough power to get rid of the show-runner.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This would just be Netflix. Marvel didn't make the decision to cancel.

18. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I honestly don't care why "Luke Cage" and "Iron Fist" were cancelled. And as far as I'm concerned, Netflix could have done "Heroes For Hire" as a limited series (like "The Defenders") and allowed the two shows to continue as solo acts.

Unlike others, I think "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones" are overrated. Period. I won't be watching Seasons 3 or 4 of "Daredevil". I don't feel like watching the Marvel Netflix shows beyond "Iron Fist" Season 2. I'm too pissed. And I'm not in the mood for damn lecture about how I should give "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones" a fucking chance.

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, from what I understand, the writers and showrunners had scripts ready for the third season, bringing the number of episodes down to ten as per Netflix's request. Then Netflix send the scripts to Disney for approval, and they didn't approve, resulting in a heated negotiations which brought Netflix to the point of scrapping the series altogether. I think that's what we've been told.

And it is very easy to speculate in a few different directions.
    Maybe Netflix didn't care enough to pay the writers to re-write the season. They already brought the number of episodes down from 13 to 10.
    Maybe Disney deliberately sabotaged Netflix because, since Disney Play is gonna launch in about a year, they saw Netflix as the competition, now. Disney as a corporation has grown remarkably adversarial in the past few years, and Marvel with them.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only way they would end up on Disney's service is if they toned them way down. Disney has said Play won't carry anything beyond a PG-13 level (the level of the MCU and Star Wars movies), and the Netflix Marvel shows are all TV-MA and way darker than what they appear to be going for for Disney Play.