Let's talk about the elephant in the room, this series violates Roddenberry's vision big time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Sci-fi fan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or 5. He was the one who designed the test. ;)

Kor

2. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

So ripping off Khan in almost every movie afterward was an original idea? How about "The Naked Now", which not only ripped off a TOS episode, but used part of the title!

Shall I continue?

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It borders on trolling to wear the user name of the captain of another current scifi show? Are you friggin' kidding me, man? It's just another show, it's not like it's stealing Discovery's soul or something. Christ.

People need to get over this ridiculous sense of competitiveness between The Orville and DSC. It's possible to like both. It's acceptable to like one and not the other. It's fine to dislike both of them.

Turtletrekker, Campe, Vger23 and 5 others like this.
  4. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's two "ifs" and "buts" there.

1. It avoids plagiarism in the fact they state their influence everywhere.

2. Given Frakes directed the last episode and they've got plenty of other Star Trek alumni working on the show, it's actually got Star Trek blood.

Sort of like how Battlestar Galactica is how Voyager was supposed to be in Moore's opinion--except even more so.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  5. Charles Phipps

Except...I think Burnham totally agrees with you. She shouldn't be. Which is the source of the tension.

She's also NOT the first officer yet. Saru is.

6. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

And it was terrible. Your point?

7. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Ok, it has Star Trek blood. So what is this show? A multimillion dollar vehicle that just bows to Star Trek, or is it trying to be something original? If I wanted watch Star Trek, I'll watch Star Trek. My point is - I'm not impressed with a redress. I'd be more impressed if they made the series more original.

8. Charles Phipps

And that's your prerogative. For me, I think it's interesting to use the Orville as a light way of introducing older style Trek with a bit more lowbrow comedy to modern audiences. It's nostalgia for Trek fans and a way to introduce new fans like, say, my wife to the series.

9. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Any science-fiction franchise is fair game for comparison. Star Trek should always be at least among the leaders of the pack.

BillJ likes this.
  10. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

And you're entitled to that. I think it demeans Star Trek.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Is someone holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to watch The Orville? You're not impressed with it? Well, bully for you. I still don't see what the heck that has to do with DSC or whether Serveaux/EdMercer is allowed to offer his opinion on Burnham's likeability as a character, or (lack of) reasons to care for her. You ridiculously said his comment wasn't very objective —which of course it's not because it's a subjective opinion— because he had the user name of The Orville's captain. Then you launched into a whole tangential rant about The Orville borrowing heavily from TNG, which it openly and admittedly does (and even employs people who worked on it), while putting a new, less super-serious, and more humorous twist on those elements (IMO). But you were the one who brought up The Orville and made it a part of this discussion out of the blue, and now you're acting like it's being forced on you.
    Nonsense. The only thing that can possibly "demean" Star Trek is Star Trek, and even that is questionable, because not all fans agree on what is or is not demeaning. Plus, you know, it's a show, not a person.

You're taking this other show (The Orville) entirely too seriously. It's a silly homage, not a personal attack on Trek. It's obviously made with great affection for Trek, in fact.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  12. KirkusOveractus

She was First Officer on Shenzhou, wasn't she?

13. KirkusOveractus

Your point was that it was a ripoff of Star Trek. My point was that Star Trek has done it's own job of ripping itself off, quite a bit.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a joke...

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  15. KirkusOveractus

Oh come off it. Star Trek did enough to demean itself. Otherwise it wouldn't have died slowly with spinoff after spinoff after spinoff, each losing more viewers.

Frankly, I like the past 3 movies and The Orville more than Discovery right now.

BillJ likes this.
  16. KirkusOveractus

There are no jokes when we discuss Star Trek. Don't you get it?

Kor and BillJ like this.
  17. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

And yet here we are 51 years later.

18. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Well I'm so glad that my opinion is now BS and other people's opinions are better. Thanks!

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I refuse to conform ;)
    Perhaps it would be helpful if it was more clear how it demeans Trek, especially since Star Trek has been used in omages and references in science fiction for a while now.

Secondly, while Orville does take plot lines, it also imbues in it is own sense of fun and wonder, without feeling connected to anything prior. If my wife, a non science fiction aficionado, can enjoy it, then I see no harm, much less "demeaning" another property.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  20. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

It was stated above exactly how. Low-brow humor.