Spoilers Let’s talk about the destruction of Trek utopia…

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Anters, Feb 24, 2020.

1. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Exactly. I struggle to understand why the writers' decision to portray people on the peripheries of a generally positive and improved setting inevitably means the setting is the exact same as the current day with the exact same issues affecting the same amount of people. Raffi intentionally went off the grid because she wanted to disappear, and for some reason that means the Federation is a stratified economy with a tiny super-rich ivory tower elite like Picard and impoverished masses living in Dickensian squalor like she "obviously" does. I guess if she had a whole uninhabited M-class planet to herself like guest stars in TNG, it wouldn't be a problem. The portrayal of two people having alcohol and drug issues means the Federation has a rampant crack epidemic. And so on.

Nyotarules, Sci, Midquest and 5 others like this.
  2. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Compare his voice from next gen to now. He sounds feeble. He had a loud booming command voice back in the tng era. He lost it about 7 or 8 years ago maybe a bit more. Funny William Shatner is 10 years older and even though his voice has changed some it doesn't sound feeble. Here is the link to star trek Picards numbers.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/star-trek-picard-ratings.html

3. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

He doesn't sound feeble. He's aged, that's all. Different people age in different ways.

Sci and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

1. You're really bitching about Stewart's voice changing because he's getting older? That's pathetic.

2. Giant Freakin Robot dot com is a clickbait site that posts bullshit on a regular basis. It is not a valid source for anything.

You're gonna need to try a lot harder than that, Pubes.

777, Sci, Lord Garth and 1 other person like this.
  5. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

It does sound feeble though, definitely weaker than it was before. I was surprised how much his voice changed when the series premiered. It makes some of his action scenes less believable, like at the beginning of the show when he was on the rooftop with Soji's sister and he got thrown back by that explosion I was thinking "yeah right, he would have broken every bone in his body". But, he's still a great actor and I'll still take a feeble Patrick Stewart over anyone else.

I get your main point, but in your example it's not clear exactly what the writers are getting at. It's possible that Raffi's living conditions are self imposed but she made some comments that implied she was jealous of Picard's chateau (could have also been sarcasm). Also, Rios says Picard is compensating handsomely for his services. For all we know he's referring to a couple of bottles of the Picard vineyard's finest year, but I think it's easy to see those scenes and conclude there's money and it's associated inequality in the Federation, even though that may not be the case. The ambiguity was probably just an oversight by the writing team as it was just a couple of throw away lines that had no impact on any of the plots, but they weren't doing themselves any favors there.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But saying he sounds like an old woman, as someone above mentioned, is both untrue and insulting.

Really; I'm not crazy about the show either, but I'm not going to make up stupid and insulting reasons to bash it like this person does.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  7. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

Oh yeah, I missed that part. He definitely does not sound like an old woman.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he was doing that on purpose for the character, because in actual interviews with Patrick he sounds a lot better, and near the end of the season when he gets his groove Picard doesn't sound like that either.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's aging and certainly doesn't sound like a old woman. So, no.

And Giant Freaking Robot is not a site I trust in terms of evidence. So, also no.

Also, conveniently ignored citing evidence of them "swearing every other word" in this show. So, three strikes. Just hatred for hatred's sake. How very Trek.

777, Tommy D, Lord Garth and 3 others like this.
  10. Tuskin38

Clickbait site that makes shit up.

Give a source directly from CBS.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Most Trek news on social media sites is clickbait or at best misleading with a grain of truth.

12. Tuskin38

TrekCore and TrekMovie are reliable.

As is TrekToday ;)

cooleddie74 likes this.
  13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

You are forgetting Trekbbs!

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

TrekBBS and TrekToday are one and the same. I highly recommend them for all the latest breaking Star Trek News!

<--- Member since 1999, former mod, and not actually being paid for this endorsement.

15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Stupid of me, I didn't think about that

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

...that doesn't get AutoAdmin'ed into this forum... :p

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Nah, we're sketchy. ;)

USS Firefly likes this.
  18. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

He got his groove back? I thought he died and was replaced by a android with s copy of his memories. The real Picard is dead. He never got his groove back. He does looking at the lord of the rings reject when he died Lol.

19. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

Why are you so unrelentingly negative?

20. Seb_O_91

Seb_O_91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re Stewart's voice, my mother and I commented on it when we watched the show. In spite of the fact that Stewart has aged, in the show there seemed to be a definite emphasis on how Picard has aged and has given up on the Starfleet lifestyle, not to mention the medical condition he's revealed to be suffering from (and indeed, was not given a good prognosis!). I also noticed that he sounded younger towards the end and post body swap (and, indeed, has been pointed out, Stewart sounds different in interviews).

I got a definite Logan/Unforgiven vibe from Picard in that he becomes the full-on hero again right at the end and considering Stewart was in Logan, I wouldn't be surprised if that was when he started to think it would be fun if Picard got a similar outing. Thus, maybe it's just Stewart's voice changing with age but it seemed to serve the plot as well.

Lord Garth likes this.