Les Moonves Leaving CBS...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by DaveyNY, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Blake's 7.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Well obviously, someone who is in favour of the merger is more important.
    I would also like if the new guy would want to make shows that are not just NCIS clones. I know it’s a popular format but they need more variety

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The merger isn't popular with the CBS board, as I recall. So it might take more than Moonves leaving to change that. I don't watch much CBS so I've no idea how many NCIS clones are currently on the network or what that even means :lol:

Tai likes this.
  4. thribs

That most of their dramas have the same style as NCIS. A show based around a quirky team that go around solving crimes.
    It’s most noticeable in Macgyver. In the original, he was a lone wolf who worked as a agent for the Phoenix foundation on various missions. There were also stories where it was just him visiting friends when a situation would occur. In the new show he’s on a team.

5. Nerys Myk

I didn't even watch the original Macgyver. :lol: I think Elementary is the only drama I watch on CBS. Holmes is the only quirky one on that show. But that's a different trope.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Where do people get this idea that Moonves had any personal creative say over Star Trek aside from approving the idea of bringing back Trek to production?

7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No idea. Moonves only cared about what made money. As long as trek brought in the coin it would stay, the minute it didn't it got the cut. It's as simple as that.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

I haven't heard his name attached to much in the Discovery era. I did hear he saw the show before it launched and liked it, which was my second or third warning flag for Discovery.

I heard Moonves's name attached to a lot of stuff in the Voyager and Enterprise eras -- not stunning, since he was head of CBS Television (not CEO of the whole thing) for much of their run, and was actively trying to save UPN from collapse. A lot of executive meddling, more or less from "Year of Hell" onward, was laid at the feet of Moonves or one of his lieutenants. I don't know how fairly those accusations were made, but made they were. And Moonves is known to have personally made the decision to cancel Enterprise, even after we sent all our letters.

I suspect Trek fans held a grudge. (I know I did.)

Obviously, the important story here is that a powerful man is being held to account (hopefully) for mistreating women, but this is also the end of a very, very long-running TrekBBS subplot.

Deledrius and Rahul like this.
  9. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why do we not yet have NCIS in space? It could be a new Star Trek series. ;)

10. thribs

I did have an idea in my head a few years back about a crossover with TNG. someone is murdered on the Enterprise and Gibbs and his team from SCIS come to investigate.
    It would be similar to the story they did on the air carrier Enterprise.

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. It's time for the Starfleet Criminal Investigative Service to make its own show.

Deledrius and Philip Guyott like this.
  12. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's get Boston Legal in Spaaaaaaaace! ;)

USS Triumphant and Philip Guyott like this.
  13. thribs

Man Boston Legal was such a awesome show. It had so many memorable scenes.

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

CBS was spending more than $100 million dollars producing it. Even if it was just a turd on screen for 48 minutes, he would've "liked" it.

PicardSpeedo likes this.
  15. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Discovery" is a sci-fi show made by and for people that don't like or understand sci-fi. It is exactly what I suspected people like Les Moonves would think a sci-fi show should be. They try to "spice it up" with thinks they understand, or suspect, about their audience - "dark and gritty", "brooding", "gore", "betrayals and surprising deaths".

But they miss the obvious: The thing that makes Trek work in the first place. The wanderlust. Curiosity. The need for exploration and adventure. It's a feeling they simply don't understand - for them, the universe is already fixed, finished, anything they don't know or understand is deemed not important. This is a show about exploration, made by people without an open mind.

16. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That being said: Les Moonves wasn't all bad. I don't like his taste in program. But he did good things, give a lot of freedom and support to Stephen Colbert for example. And, well, somebody has to make throwback television for the older crowds like NCIS. They did that pretty successfully.

I hate how he treated Star Trek - he didn't saw the audience interest in it, and a lot of the license issues that make a unified Trek universe impossible now rest on his shoulders. He simply should have let the IP alone or give other people the reigns for it.

But that alone is not a reason why he had to go. It's his behaviour towards women, why I'm glad he's gone.

I hope the best for Trek - and still finger's crossed for a re-unification of the brand. Two years is not that long a time, if ST4 works out we can maybe even have a full re-unification of the brand after the grand finale of Kelvin Trek. That's what I care about. As for the person himself - he's just one of a long list of people in power that abused their situation for sexual favours. Good riddance, but it's not as important to "punish" someone for it, as it is to change the environment of the business to make something like that happen less in the future.

Deledrius, roneill and Tai like this.
  17. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For historical purposes Starfleet could still use the word Naval in the title. They are a space navy after all with ships, and a similar rank structure. The Federation also had a real Naval Patrol (Memory Alpha link) which was a military organisation dedicated to ensuring security and exploring the oceans of member worlds.
    Yes, Yes, just YES!!!!

18. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, NCIS is practically the TNG template anyway.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. Nerys Myk

And you base this on what? You got a quote to back it up? Something from a producer or writer?

Moonves was the CEO, how much time do you think he spends in the writers' room directing the course of a SF show on the company's streaming platform or even thinking about such grunt level operations?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Way past time, in my opinion.