Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

This week's exciting haul! Two copies of "Boldly Go" #1 (IDW's ongoing post-"Star Trek Beyond" comic) - love the paper doll alternate cover! - and Book 2 in Pocket Books' "Star Trek: Prey" novel trilogy by John Jackson Miller.

[​IMG]
    New Trek
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I also ordered a US set of the new Trek encyclopedia. I noticed it was turning up in US bookstores but Galaxy in Sydney had been unsure how it would sell - the price is as hefty as the volumes - and there is a local (UK?) edition coming for Australian shops in November, but we worked out that the local price was going to be more expensive than the imported US edition.

I also placed an Amazon preorder for this, not due till next April:
    [​IMG]
    Makeup Man: Making Up the Stars from Rocky to Star Trek by Michael Westmore with Jake Page
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Markonian likes this.
  2. Therin of Andor

Just out Down Under: New edition and new cover art for "The Visual Dictionary" (my 2013 edition is in storage, so I can't confirm if the inner text is identical or not), another trade omnibus of "Star Trek Magazine" interviews ("Fifty Years of Star Trek") and an original SF novel from Una McCormack.

[​IMG]
    Latest Trek books
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

For me, one of the exciting things about "The Visual Dictionary" is that it features a photo of the screen-used Tellarite robes I won in the It's a Wrap! eBay auctions! (Also featured on the cover of "Enterprise: The Romulan Wars" Book 1.) It's an amazing piece of costuming, with an elaborate, optional travelling jacket included!

[​IMG]
    Tellarites in Star Trek Visual Dictionary
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Markonian likes this.
  3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wow! Did you ever wear it? Does it work like real clothing? Or is it made to be 'extraterrestrial'-like?

Therin of Andor likes this.
  4. Therin of Andor

[​IMG]
    Tellarite robes
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Tellarite ambassadorial robes
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The sad bit is, it came with a bonus "fat suit" undergarment (which was used in more episodes than the robes), but I don't need to wear the fat suit.

[​IMG]
    Tellarite ambassadorial robes
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Fat suit tag
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

But that's not all...
    [​IMG]
    Andorian and Tellarite robes
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I took advantage of ST: To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh being part of this month's Star Trek e-book sale, and got it and STTOS: Constellations. I don't think Constellations is officially part of the sale, but it was marked down really cheap so I got it just in case the price goes back up later.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Therin of Andor

My new Encyclopedia volumes have arrived at Galaxy Bookshop in Sydney's CBD.

[​IMG]
    Star Trek Encyclopedia - updated
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

And locally:

[​IMG]
    Star Trek Beyond
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Two "Star Trek Beyond" Blu-Ray purchases Down Under today. The JB HI-FI bonus disc comes both with their regular Blu-Ray, and in the gift pack (with the three model starships). The 3D Blu-Ray version comes with the DVD alternative. I also found Leonard Nimoy in "Baffled" while wandering the aisles.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Markonian likes this.
  7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The gift pack with ships is an exclusive to Wal-Mart here in Canada. But really the ships are nothing, since they are the same models that were being put on top of special "Star Trek Beyond" 2L cups at Cineplex's here in Canada (I got the Franklin back in July, and really, aside from the July one looking a little dusty, the holder and ship are the exact same).

8. Therin of Andor

They're not "nothing" if the cups were unavailable locally. ;)

Markonian likes this.
  9. Therin of Andor

[​IMG]
    Star Trek magnetic bookmarks
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Found yesterday Down Under! Clip-on command insignia badge bookmark and TOS character magnetic bookmarks of Scotty, Spock, Kirk, McCoy and Uhura for the 50th anniversary.

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I saw this in Wal-Mart this week. Really wanted to get it, but don't have the extra money available right now. :(

11. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just ordered the Legacies trilogy. It will take some time for me to read them, though. But I was told that it is unlikely that there will be German translations....:confused:

12. Therin of Andor

This week's issue of "Boldly Go" (#2) from IDW has another paper doll alternate cover... of Sulu! Had to place a special order, as they only had the regular issue on the shelf. (And still to be unpacked is a new IDW reprint omnibus in trade format.)

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I just got in the mail a couple of CBS Video Betamax TOS tapes. One has "The Menagerie Pts 1&2" and the other has "Where No Man..." and "Mudd's Women". Plus I got a third tape in the same order, a 3/4 Umatic that apparently contains all 24 trailers for TNG season 1, plus a few other trailers for other programming that seems to have aired on FOX. I haven't checked any of the tapes out yet, but I'm just glad the U-Matic is a SONY rather than an AMPEX tape (the label used says AMPEX, but the tape lid has SONY printed on it). So I'm not sure if someone had a Umatic in their house and the just recorded the different promos, or if this was a tape from a TV station, and someone kept it for some reason, but it'll be interesting to see.

14. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I ordered both the British Blu-Ray set with the Franklin model, and the German Blu Ray box set with the trio of ships. Despite not having a TV, computer or Blu Ray player. :D
    I'll see the ships as the main price and the shiny disks as extra, rather than the other way round. Can't wait for the delivery! :bolian:

15. Therin of Andor

[​IMG]
    New Trek from IDW
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Recent new Trek comics: "Waypoint" #2 (with an alternate cover saluting Gold Key comics), "Boldly Go" #2, the Humble Bundle photo-comic Gorn special and an omnibus of reprints to farewell Spock Prime.

Markonian likes this.
  16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the new Star trek Beyond movie magazine at the grocery store. It has some really interesting articles in it. I also got Star trek Beyond on dvd.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just discovered that I can pull the comics off of the Comics Collection DVD, and put them onto first my computer and from there onto my tablet. I hadn't read any of the stuff on the DVD in ages since I thought I was stuck only reading them on my computer, now that I know I can put them on my tablet I will be reading the comics from it a lot more often. I already put the TNG: Ill Winds miniseries and TOS: Debt of Honor graphic novel onto my tablet, so I'll probably be reading those some time soon.

Markonian likes this.
  18. Therin of Andor

"Prey, Book 3: Hall of Heroes" by John Jackson Miller has arrived Down Under! Thanks Galaxy Bookshop!

[​IMG]
    2017 Calendar and Prey Book 3
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Also (in my local mall!) Danilo's UK edition of the 2017 "Star Trek" art calendar, celebrating the 50th anniversary and featuring artwork from the "50 Artists, 50 years" exhibition. Totally different format to the US spiral-bound edition. This one opens out in landscape format, like the "Ships of the line" calendars.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm moving through ST The Fall: Ceremony of Losses pretty fast, so I decided to get the last two The Fall books, The Poisoned Chalice and Peaceable Kingdoms.

20. Therin of Andor

Arriving Down Under today (pic a few posts down):

"Star Trek: New Visions: The Hidden Face" (issue #13)
    "Star Trek: New Visions" omnibus Volume 4
    "Star Trek: The Original Series: Adult Colouring Book"
    "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Adult Colouring Book"!

[​IMG]
    TAS Blu-Ray
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr
    I had no plans to buy this new Fimation's TAS ("Star Trek: The Animated Series") Blu-Ray set, as Blu-Ray versions of TAS were included in the recent 50th anniversary TOS set, but then I noticed the sticker announcing 22 episode art postcards! (Loving the Warhol/Marilyn-inspired Arex card.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Markonian likes this.