La brea

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by crookeddy, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

It starts here on Feb 7 on domestic free to air TV, so will be ruined by commercials

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really, since it was made for a NBC, one of our free over the air networks with commercials here in the US. So technically, it's actually made to be seen with commercials.

3. Gingerbread Demon

I have since gone back to Netflix so I'm used to whole shows without ads though you can pause that and take a break, but yeah do not watch much if any commercial TV so that's why I said that. Everyone keeps telling me to watch Manifest but I really can't push myself in that direction. I found it horrible.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dvr and skip commercials? I haven't watched commercials since the early 90s.

5. crookeddy

La Brea returns with decent ratings somehow. 4.02 million for season 2 premiere, which is higher than the Quantum Leap series premiere.

6. Gingerbread Demon

How is that even possible? Did they improve the show?

7. crookeddy

Maybe just barely, but this is still far from good. People just like this kind of crap I guess...

8. Gingerbread Demon

Fair enough

9. crookeddy

Between this, the new Quantum Leap, Debris, and Manifest, seems that NBC is all in on mediocre sci-fi.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your friends are either Bible thumpers delighted for the representation, or failures at being cool.

10 genre shows worth watching.

1. Prey (1998). Man's evolutionary superior has shown up. Debra Messing has to stop them from replacing homosapiens.

2. The Starlost. (1978) Mormon farmer figures out that the planet he is standing on is actually a millennia old colony ship crashing into a sun, and they are all going to die.

3. H20 just add water/Mako Mermaids. (2006) I have to stress that this is a children's show, for girls, but after 10 years they build up a superb extended universe, and lore.

4. Vampire Diaries. (2009) only the first two seasons are good, but the ##ther fucker is like crack, and festers for almost 20 years.

5. Day 5. Terrorists release a virus globally. If you fall asleep, you die. Our heroes are a meth addict who has been awake for four days and a ten year old on ADD medicine, who now also has to take meth to stay awake and alive.

6. Ash vs. EVIL Dead. (2013) It's modern day sequel to Xena Warrior Princess.

7. Primeval/Primeval Canada. Portal opens, cgi dinosaurs lumber out, nerds and big game hunters herd them back in. The Canadian remake looks/feels like more Stargate.

8.warehouse 13/eureka/Alphas shared universe (2000s) friendly entry level science fiction.

9. Sense 8 (2015). Post human species that exists in telepathic clusters of 8. Orgies, nudity, and graphic drippingly wet birth scenes. The clusters are Hunted by really uptight humans who are exasperated that they are never invited to these really epic post human Orgies.

10. Other Space. Space ship sitcom with that guy from Deadpool. Hilarious Star Trek tropes turned upside down. It could have been the Orville, but other space premiered on Yahoo Screens, which crashed and burned in less than a year, or they would have made that movie for Community.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  11. Gingerbread Demon

I loved Warehouse 13 and also The Librarians, all 4 seasons of that.

I also remember watching all of H20 when it was here on commercial TV and didn't mind that despite as you say it was made for girls, that show and others were made around the same time period such as Spellbinder which was really kind of fun.

Ashka was deliciously evil

12. Guy Gardener

I've had Spellbinders on DVD for ten years, and just haven't gotten around to it.

Now the kiddy OZsyfy that I really liked was Thunderstone, although Paralax (it's all on youtube) is pretty good too, but Nowhere Boys was probably after your time, which was a really good ride until they swapped out the entire cast for the final season.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anybody else here watch Ocean Girl back in the '90s? It was either Australian or from New Zealand, and I remember liking it a lot as a kid.
    To be fair, that 30 years covers 3 different series, not just TVD.
    As for La Brea, I'm still enjoying it. Yeah, the writing isn't always the best, and it's a little cheesy, but I like it.

14. Guy Gardener

Le Brea is fucking awful, but they know how to cliffhang an episode perfectly, so you want more.

15. Gingerbread Demon

Thunderstone was good... I liked that one

16. Guy Gardener

17. Gingerbread Demon

Hmmm not my thing really. Seems like other things I have seen before.

I'm looking around for copies of Spellbinder

18. crookeddy

19. Gingerbread Demon

Ghosts is so funny , well the US version. I have not seen the UK version.

20. Guy Gardener

When they filmed the original UK version, they did two takes, one in English, and then the second in American.

It's 99 percent the same, but the subtle differences are amazing.