News Kurtzman discusses the Kelvin Timeline appearing on TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Red Panda, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

if the kelvin timeline appears, it will be treated as one of those mcu tv shows where they will pretend it is connected to the movies

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

It's never stated their largely unknown. From the dialogue in each film, everyone knows and understands Klingons.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marcus is worried about the threat that the Klingons pose to the Federation. He doesn't state or imply that they were at war with them in the recent past.

Lance and saddestmoon like this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

The line in Into Darkness is...

All-out war with the Klingons is inevitable, Mister Kirk. If you ask me, it's already begun. Since we first learned of their existence, the Klingon Empire has conquered and occupied two planets that we know of and fired on our ships half a dozen times. They are coming our way.

The impression the films give me is that the Klingons are a large looming threat but aren't too well-known.

Lance, Malaika and saddestmoon like this.
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And definitely that there wasn't a war with them that recently ended.

6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

I didn't say anything about previous wars, I just said that the Klingons weren't a mysterious new race.

Lance and fireproof78 like this.
  7. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I like Discovery. I like the Kelvin films. I see absolutely no reason for them to sync up, and can only imagine it turning into a convoluted mess which will satisfy nobody.

The Kelvin timeline existed as a clever way to tell new stories with the most iconic characters. Leave it at that.

8. eschaton

eschaton Commodore Commodore

That quote is clearly not about the Kelvin TL I think. The interviewer seems to be asking about other movies - and if they can be referenced within the Picard show and other Trek TV.

I take that to basically mean they're grappling with whether they're going to be allowed to reference things in the pre-Kelvin movies in the Picard show. Probably most explicitly the TNG movies, because there's little reason to bring in plot elements from the TOS movies.

9. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

His notion that STD is really comparable to a theatrical movie is...cute.

Alex, many, many times more people have paid to see the Abrams movies than currently watch or will ever watch STD. There are reasons for that.

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if the new Nickelodean animated series will be an opportunity to pick up the Kelvin-verse?

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That would suit me - I'm not interested in either !

12. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

It's a little late for that, especially since the last anyone heard, Paramount were planning a rated-R Trek movie.

But who knows anymore? It could end a Real Ghostbusters situation where the series loosely continues on from the movies, but the movies ignore them.

Lance likes this.