Klingon change for season 2?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Aug 6, 2018.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Real World??
    I think you missed the part where I said I was talking about my own personal 'Head Canon'.
    I very much understand the "Real World" reasons why things change, it's just fun to work out In-Universe explanations as well.
    For me, that's part of what being a Trek Fan involves and I've been doing it for over 50 years.
    :cool:

2. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

No, I got it was your head canon. I simply was saying I do not do that

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are bald Klingons in the new Season 2 trailer, so they're not just retconning the look again like some people thought.

saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But are they bald because they're a different phenotype or because of shaving/natural hair loss?

5. Tuskin38

They're bald because there were bald ones in Season 1.

They could be against L'Rell's "peace".

6. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're changing the behind-the-scenes-BACKSTORY to it. They went about this really clever.

The original, Fuller designed Klingons were genetically bald (fits with his "completely-start-from-scratch" approach). But we only know this from behind-the-scenes comment. It never made it on screen, thus it was never "canon" in the first place.

The only remnants of this approach is that all klingons in S1 have always been bald - even tough the new explanation was it was because of "ritualistic shving for war" - the klingons were already shaved before the war, in alternate timelines, and in flashbacks with T'Kuvma as kids. And there was never a single exception, even when it would have made sense (low level Kronos street live, politicians, other houses with other traditions...)

But since they never actually made it canon - they can change that - which they did - by simply suddenly showing haired klingons, without actually tecnically retconning itself. The only thing that remains is the weird "conincidences" of S1. And in that "soft" approach, it makes a lot of sense to not immediately and entirely throwing the old look out, but have the old & new show up side-by-side to aknowledge the canonicity of both of them.

Longinus and WebLurker like this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I guess admitting that they just fucked up wasn't going to happen.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. Because they didn't.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You poor, deluded soul, you.

10. fireproof78

Ah, I see. Instead of disputing my point that "they" didn't "fuck up" you assume my mental state is some how deficit? :vulcan: Solid logic.

If anyone one "fucked up" it was Fuller. And he left the show. So, who's the "they" you are referring to?

Pindar, PiotrB and Grendelsbayne like this.
  11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

First of all, I was just being facetious, so there's no need to be all bitchy. :|

Second, whatever Fuller mandated, CBS and the DSC producers approved, so "they" carry the blame just as much as him.

12. fireproof78

[​IMG]
    They approved the designs. They approved these designs. There is nothing that makes it a "fuck up" beyond the fact that some people didn't like the way that they looked. Which is par for the course in design work.

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic but "fuck up" implies a giant mistake that requires apologies, and explanations. I don't get that from the Klingons. Just design preferences.

13. Tuskin38

Not really. They had to do what he requested.
    According to the makeup designer he wanted hair from the start but Bryan was adamant they be bald.

This is them correcting a mistake without alienating the people who liked the bald look.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Er, it isn’t just about the hair. It’s also about their overall appearance and their ships, which don’t look anything like what we’ve seen before.

Longinus and CaptainMurdock like this.
  15. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got to see Shatner at a convention a couple of years ago and the toupee was looking pretty good, dare I say realistic, as well. It also did a song from it's spoken word album.

Pindar likes this.
  16. Rahul

Companies never do that! If you would ask Warner Bros. about the DC universe, they gonna' tell you "Justice League" was exactly planned this way, and not as a poor response to "Batman v. Superman", and that everything is fine now, and moving on as they always wanted...

That being said: The Disco-crew was way smoother in their approach. They just fixed a little mistake, and in a pretty clever way. Let's see if they manage to fix the BIG mistakes also: Make for an interesting story.

Longinus likes this.
  17. Tuskin38

Again, Bryan Fuller. He told them to throw everything out. He’s gone so they don’t need to follow that anymore.

Rahul and fireproof78 like this.
  18. WebLurker

That doesn't answer the question.

That could be interesting.

19. Rahul

Indeed, that would be interesting!
    But isn't that happening in the very same scene on the same set from the previous trailer where the completely, traditional white "longhaired" Klingon showed up as well? I guessed they are just his "bodyguards" L'Rell and Tyler/Voq had to go through to finally speak to him.

20. WebLurker

Time will tell.

Wonder how they'll fit the Klingon stuff in with the weird-sound Red Angel story arc that seems to be the main point of season 2?