Klingon change for season 2?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Aug 6, 2018.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

It's a race to post things before Frakes does.

Timo likes this.
  2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps only crazy fanatics like T'Kumva's family and their neighbors go for the shaving 24/7 while more level-headed Klingons wait for big crises? Whatever the reason, shaving was already part of the life of lil' T'Kumva back when said and equally bald neighbors were kicking him in the groin in that flashback. (Or was that Voq?)

Unless it was a misleading unreliable-narrator dream sequence thing. Or by happenstance there was a really big war back then, too. Or then shaving isn't related to wars after all.

Timo Saloniemi

XCV330 likes this.
  3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Growing up on a colony world like Planet Nair wasn't easy for an already awkward youth like T'Kuvma. But in time he turned his look into a style adopted by friend and foe alike.

pst likes this.
  4. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

It's just a retcon. They're gonna tell us that Klingons always had hair in S1, we just couldn't see it.

F. King Daniel and Rahul like this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No they won't. They're not ignoring the Bald Klingons. They've already said the reverse.

6. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the point where we have to say: It's just a television show.

It's a retcon. But it's just a very minor retcon, and one I'm completely happy about! One that solely improves the show by a lot.

S1 klingons were intended to be genetically bald. That's not just obvious from the show itself, but also from the behind-the-scenes comments. There is really nothing to argue about it.

In S2, they decided klingons have hair again. For multiple reasons, probably the upcoming Picard show, the fan-backlash, and that they generally seem to want to make the Star Trek universe more coherent and cohesive again. And you know what? The klingons look SO MUCH better with hair!

It was an absolute good choice. But you know what? They didn't just change it - they even gave us a fucking explanation for it! One that MAKES SENSE! That's a great choice! Is it still a retcon? Yeah. But it's the best possible type of retcon! One which really turned everything to the better, and in which a lot of thought was put into!

Arguing it wasn't one is not just as foolish as saying the S2 klingons don't have hair either and are just wearing wigs, it actually does the new behind-the-scenes crew a disservice to not aknowledge how much of an amazing job they did managing to "fix" such a divisive flaw.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

8. Tuskin38

[SIZE=2]There's nothing in the lore that says holograms didn't exist before the 2260s[/SIZE]

*hides*

Edit:

Ah damn it, foiled by the lack of working size tags.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoy how you just cast yourself as the uncontrollable bratty child. :lol:

F. King Daniel likes this.
  10. F. King Daniel

I may not be able to help myself sometimes, but at least I'm self-aware about it.

XCV330 and Gepard like this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It really isn't.

Regardless of the BTS rationale, there is nothing on screen to support the idea that Klingons are "always bald." The ones we happened to see happened to have no hair. Personal preferences will apply as far as the look. Personally, I'll take bald Klingons because the hair isn't what makes them Klingon to me. But, whatever. It's fine with hair, fine without hair, and the show has room for both.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that if a new viewer who was unfamiliar with Star Trek watched STDsc Season 1, they would assume that the Klingon species is genetically bald.

Kor

Jadeb, Rahul, Tyr and 2 others like this.
  13. fireproof78

But, as established by this board, no new viewers watch Discovery ;)

Secondarily, even if that were the case, there is always room for expanding upon an alien species. One need only look at Farscape and see the variety there, especially with the Scarrans.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  14. F. King Daniel

I think if fans casually familiar with Star Trek watched the show, they'd assume Disco is a preboot where Klingons

A. Are bald
    B. Have ridges/more ridges and ripples and stuff than ever before

15. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Not sure what the topic is of this thread any more, however the video Mary Chieffo posted gives us our best look at the season 2 make up. It is far,far better than the last image we got. Like Night and day better. If you guys have not checked it out, its worth a look

16. Tuskin38

We talked about it before this discussion started.

17. Rahul

She also has distinctively different hair in this video than the 80s hair she had in the promo-shot of her.

Also a much different dress. The promo-shot dress looked more intricate, this one has an almost 80s metal-band simple black leather design. IMO they might even go too far back to the traditional look at this point.:guffaw:
    (Not really though - I like multiple different looks for the klingons. Just not replacing one mono-look with another one)

Mirror Mirror likes this.
  18. Rahul

There was not a single piece of klingon hair anywhere in the Disco-universe up to this point.

Not in any of the houses we saw. Not in any of the diffferent fractions - which btw had massively different looks inbetween them, even genetically, and certainly from their fashion, even ritualistic markings. Not with any of the klingons in flashbacks. Not on any of the klingons on the homeworld. Neither within their military, nor their civiliams. Neither their women, nore their men. Not when we saw the entire klingon council. Not even a single individual hair in an entirely alternate universe!

Not ONE. SINGLE. Hair visible. Not a moustache. Not an eyebrow. Not even nose hair. Not even in L'Rells butt-cracks when she was riding Voq.

So unless every single Klingon individual, regardless of his position, political affiliation, fashion sense, history, or even placement in the multiverse - somehow decided all at the same time simultanously - to do Brazilian waxing for their entire body - yeah, the Klingons were intended to be genetically bald.

There is really no point in arguing it. Now of course that has been retconned. The "new" klingons have hair, and always had it and just shaved it. And I'm absolutely happy with that retcon, especially - as I previously aready set - they really put a lot of effort in it. And it mostly works. But it simply can't be pretended to never have happened.

It's like the TNG season 1 Ferengi: That was what they original intended. It didn't work. So now it's interesting what they do next with it. And so far, they seem on the right track.

Jerikka Dawn likes this.
  19. fireproof78

That is an odd conclusion and not one that I think a viewer would make. Certainly not one I would make. Nor do I care about BTS intention. I care about on screen story. I think this argument is conflating the two.

20. Rahul

How exactly could you come to any other conclusion given the on-screen material?

Tyr and Jerikka Dawn like this.