Kathleen Kennedy Damaging Star Wars....?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Kane_Steel, Apr 13, 2018.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I generally approach internet discussions with 2 rules:
    1. Take everything said at face value and give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't know anyone well enough to psychoanalyze or second-guess their motives.
    2. If someone says something so racist, sexist, or otherwise bigoted that it doesn't deserve the dignity of a response, I don't respond to it.

If Robert Downey Jr. didn't want to come back for any more movies after his Iron Man 3 contract ran out, then yes, Iron Man wouldn't have been around for the conclusion of the Infinity Stones storyline. RDJ was so intrinsic to the character in the public consciousness that I don't see any possibility of Marvel recasting the role for a very long time. And while Iron Man 3 was more of just a thematic closure for the character, Age of Ultron ended with him explicitly talking about retiring, thus leading to him being semi-retired at the beginning of Civil War.

Doh! I forgot about that one. God, the first Iron Man movie feels like it was an infinity ago.

A week ago, my sister, my father, & my half-brother each separately asked me about what I thought about Solo. Now, none of them live under a rock or anything but they're also not as deeply steeped in sci-fi culture as we all are here. And none of them knew anything about Lord & Miller getting fired until I told them. So, yeah, I think we do need to take a step back and realize that we're in a very hardcore minority here. That's not to say that the hardcore fans can't influence the tone of the mainstream reaction but it's not a 1:1 reaction.

Star Wars is much more of a casual thing for me. I know all of the movies pretty well forwards & backwards but I don't watch the TV shows, buy the comics, or read the novels. (However, "Shadows of the Empire" for Nintendo 64 was friggin' awesome!)

Star Trek is my legacy favorite. I gobbled it up voraciously during my formative years, from about 4th grade until I graduated high school. But once I got to college, I kinda got bored with Enterprise. There are still huge chunks of Enterprise & The Original Series that I haven't seen and I haven't watched any of The Animated Series and I only bothered with the first episode of Discovery. But pick out nearly any random clip from any random episode of The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, or Voyager, and I'd lay fair odds that I'll be able to identify the episode.

Doctor Who is my new love. I hold it a personal point of pride that I've seen every single surviving episode of both the classic series and the new series as well as Torchwood. Still working on The Sarah Jane Adventures and Class though. I'm also addicted to Doctor Who wall calendars, novels, and those 3" Titans vinyl figures. :D

Although, for me it's a big-4 since Buffy/Angel is also way up there for me.

You mean when they killed off Col. Sumner in the very first episode of Stargate Atlantis?

That would be me. It's my #2 favorite, after Revenge of the Sith.

The more I look at how devastated Obi-Wan was at the end of Revenge of the Sith, the more I think he's lying to himself as much as anyone. He's concocted this myth about Darth Vader betraying & murdering Anakin Skywalker so that he can still sleep at night.

Which was another movie that seemed to underperform at the box office. Maybe Ehrenreich is just cursed.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Obi-Wan knows the truth, of course, but has just spun a web of feel-good lies around the fall of Anakin so that when the time comes to tell Luke about his Jedi heritage he can both feel better about himself and not hurt Anakin's son. Sure, it's disingenuous and perhaps Luke would have been better off knowing the truth from the start but that's not what George gave us either in-universe or outside of it.

Obi-Wan was a good man but he was often as guilty of the hubris that helped bring down the Jedi Order as anybody else wearing a set of Jedi robes and carrying a lightsaber. He even admitted as much to Padmé, saying he was lied to along with everybody else and he fell for the deception. In his final years I think he tried to reconcile the good with the bad and understand that while he did as much as he felt he could to train and protect Anakin during their career together he failed in the most important ways, and because of those mistakes and the failure to see what was happening to his apprentice at the core of his soul (or care enough about it, having been convinced of the righteousness of the Jedi Code) he had to mature into old age with the knowledge that his failure to see the truth and do something about it resulted in a monster being created and the destruction of most of the people and institutions he had been raised to love, cherish and respect.

In effect, Darth Vader was his greatest legacy up until the day he opened up to Luke about the Force and that was something he never got over despite knowing that he'd set Anakin's son on the path to greatness and hopefully redeeming the galaxy.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obi-Wan also thinks Luke is the Chosen One during the OT, not Anakin.

Either that or he was lying to make Maul feel better.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given how he viewed Anakin and Vader, it might have changed his thinking. It took Luke to see past the "point of view" that Anakin was still there and could come back.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  5. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I enjoyed Solo very much - and am hoping we see a sequel / follow-up movie.

:)

6. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can always make do with the 6 (7?) that already exist.;)

But seriously- you might want to check out Rebels if you haven’t already.

saddestmoon likes this.
  7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha! I hate to admit, that took me a few seconds to comprehend! :guffaw:

Yes, big fan and watcher of Rebels and The Clone Wars. Rebels certainly does touch on a plot point raised in Solo... :whistle:

Hela likes this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Has Kennedy been fired yet?

Someone wake me up when it happens...

Campe likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

Why do you want her fired?

10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Oh shit, are they putting you in a coma?

Jedman67, Kemaiku, Hela and 2 others like this.
  11. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just to bulletproof us against any potential liability problems: How do you feel about having electrodes jabbed into your neck, a brain transplant, and lots of lightening?

BillJ likes this.
  12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your in luck. MTV did that years ago. It's safe to go watch MTV again. Nothing bad at all on the channel.

Jason

The Borgified Corpse and BillJ like this.
  13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Obviously someone's sarcasm meter is completely broken. :eek:

Jinn and Campe like this.
  14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

To be fair, I don't see how one could survive this place for long.

Jedman67 likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You just need to go into Tosche Station for some power converters and fix it right up.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Ah, college. Such good memories.

Jedman67 likes this.
  17. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found a facebook group that livestreams random trek episodes from all series.
    Good fun.

18. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The woman will be fired soon. Within the year. I'll get a good laugh out it, and this whole mess.

Also, the plot thickens:

19. Tuskin38

lmao, no she won't.

Kemaiku likes this.
  20. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

;) Wait and see my friend. Where there's smoke, there's fire. All these rumblings about problems behind the scenes, and the damage control that Lucasfilm employees are doing on Twitter and whatnot don't paint a pretty picture. They are definitely going to frame this as Kathleen 'moving on' to a new job of her own choice,' but her 'departure' will be announced within the year.

[​IMG]