Just got the short treks DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I like them all, but "Calypso" alone makes it worth the price of admission.

My brother showed my six-year-old niece "Ephraim & Dot" and "The Girl Who Made The Stars". She liked them both.

2. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got to "Ephraim & Dot." Cute.

Given that it's very much in the style of TAS, I'm surprised that Giacchino didn't incorporate the TAS open music or any TAS cues in the score. Admittedly, TAS was hardly the musical zenith of ST, but still . . . .

Chronology of the TOS scenes incorporated into the story seemed a bit wonky.

Interesting how they used a sketch of a salt vampire for ". . . some deadly . . ."

Who was that, with the spot-on Paul Frees impression?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Also nice to see that DOT 7's are canon

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I write that off to the trans-temporal nature of the mycelial network. ;)
    That was none other than Kirk Thatcher, who appeared previously in Star Trek as "punk on bus" in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Years later, he reprised the role in Spider-Man Homecoming (as "punk on street") see one minute 29 seconds at the clip. He's holding the same boombox as he was in Star Trek 4).

So this brings up the question of whether or not the MCU is in same reality as Star Trek or if the "punk" is a transdimensional traveler. ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Lord Garth and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  5. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw that Thatcher was one of the only credited voices, and of course recognized him as "Punk on Bus"; I didn't know he could do Paul Frees.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's not the same one, you can see the handle is very different and the Spidey one has no front knobs. :)

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I was sure that I'd read it was the same one, but obviously I was mistaken. Thank you for the correction.

Tosk likes this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It'd be more than awesome if it was though, especially if the stickers were intact. :)

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder why the Punk moved from San Francisco to New York and why didn't update to something modern like a phone to listen to his music?. My theory is Spock's never pinch created brain damage in Punk because Spock was not fully recovered yet from getting his Katra back. Punk spent the new few decades going in and out of mental institutions while also having trouble holding down a job. He tried to start over by moving to New York and he was finally getting his life turned around by getting a job at a record store only for the record store to be destroyed by Loki and his alien army in the attack in "Avengers." With no job he has found himself homeless with his only real possession being his trusty boombox. Granted the first one had been destroyed a few years earlier when Hulk fell on it during the Harlem fight but he got a new one that is almost like it.

Jason

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Obviously he's a hipster. Get with it.

The Wormhole likes this.