Spoilers Jurassic World: Dominion grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 10, 2022.

?

How do you rate Jurassic Park: Dominion

1. Ridiculous monster fights for the win!

4.0%
  2. A

8.0%
  3. A-

4.0%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

24.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

4.0%
  8. C

4.0%
  9. C-

4.0%
  10. D

16.0%
  11. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

4.0%
  13. Genetic monstrosity!

8.0%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I disagree with the notion that the story and characters of this film weren't interesting, although I'll agree the locusts were unnecessary. As I said in my review, I wished the film had focused more on the coexistence theme of the first act for the rest of the film.

Breaking news: People still love dinosaurs. Film at 11.

3. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Of course it's going to have a big opening weekend. Any franchise this well established is going to come out big. The second weekend will tell a better story of how this movie will do. The critics have never really liked this franchise with Jurassic World one and Jurassic Park one being the only ones to get reviews higher that 70 percent on RT. No one I know that has seen it likes it but the audience rating on RT is 79 percent. So somebody out there likes it.

As for me I'll wait to catch it on streaming.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, that's where I'm at, get it in streaming.

I'm guessing audiences are mostly satisfied because it delivers entertainment. Those most bothered seem to be deeper fans and those upset by this misleading trailers.

ichab likes this.
  5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’ll be on that Peacock one. The one that is just one too many. :)

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And movies...stupid people!

;)

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I wish the movie had actually been about dinosaurs and not locusts.

Finn, The Nth Doctor and 777 like this.
  8. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't like how the movie ended with the situation regarding the dinosaurs.

9. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I liked it a lot better than the reality, which would be a pile of dead dinosaurs with sick rich f***s posing over their corpses in photographs posted on social media.

10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Best part was the guy on the electric scooter being eaten by a carnosaur. Serves him right for being on such a stupid vehicle. :)

11. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I think he was the winner of a fan contest where the prize was getting eaten by a dinosaur.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So just curious...how does this one shape up against one and two? I need to adjust my expectations accordingly. (They're pretty much rock bottom already. I was meh on one and kind of hated two.)

Trekker4747 likes this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I enjoyed this film far more than the other two Jurassic World films and Jurassic Park III, but I appear to be in the minority regarding the overall enjoyment of Dominion.

Tosk likes this.
  14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen this yet, so I can't comment on the movie itself, but....

Why are people still expecting to get something more than just a summer blockbuster with SFX and action scenes? This is what the Jurassic franchise became right after the first one. Moneygrabs. Hell, in a way the first one was only made to make a shitload of money on merchandise, it was almost an abstract lesson about itself that way, considering the themes of the movie.

No. These movies aren't made to be anything more than people running for their lives from monsters while we munch down big buckets of trashy snackfood and laugh when people get killed in horrible ways. And that's how I watch them.
    Jurassic Park was released when I was 10 or 11. It it such a big part of my childhood and I will always love it. Nothing hits a bigger emotional cord for me than that first movie. Well, that's hyperbole but whatever.
    Anything after that is a cashgrab based on one of the most popular movies ever. Anyone expecting this to be something as magical and breathtaking as Jurassic Park needs to take their rose-colored glasses off and get real.

I will watch this. I will role my eyes at a lot of the stupidity that I know will be in there. I will laugh at lame jokes. I will be marveled by the CGI probably. And I'll be entertained. And that's it. That's what this movie is supposed to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

shapeshifter likes this.
  15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Personally, I reject "turn your brain off" as a defense of bad movies.

Finn, ED-209 and kirk55555 like this.
  16. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a pile of disjointed, disinterested (in its own stories), poorly edited, phoned in half-arsed and half baked dirge was this?

Who gets the assignment to make a dinosaur movie and thinks
    I've got it!!! LOCUSTS!!

Written about as convolutely and coherently as Independence Day 2 on acid, edited like ID2 had a baby with a Transformers movie, with many non-sensical action sequences. Serves none of the characters at all. Some of them in some scenes are visibly confused and standing around waiting for their lines. And then when they unite all of the characters, what do they do? Write themselves into a corner with an action sequence so poorly conceived and choreographed that characters dawdle around it and then THEY HAVE TO EDIT THE MIDDLE OUT OF because there was no way they could write and stage it without killing off at least one character.

Also, Giganotosaurus is the largest carnivore predator the earth has ever seen, is it, Alan? What about that Spinosaurus you met that time?

Just a great big steaming pile of Meh. There were walk outs during my screening and I wish I'd been one of them.

publiusr likes this.
  17. fireproof78

Exactly. And I think that's why Jurassic World worked so well for me. It wasn't deep, by any stretch. It wasn't life changing or grand. It was a roller coaster ride with dinosaurs. It's not trying to be anything more than a Godzilla type film with characters we like.

And, to be clear, I reject the notion of "mindless action film" or "turn your brain off" when it comes to films. However, I strongly believe in engaging with the material as it is presented not what I wish it to be.

Mage likes this.
  18. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What if what it is presented as /intends to be a good film; and it isn’t (by any stretch of the stretchiest of imaginations). But what you wish it to be is a good film; and it isn’t.

It’s failed on both counts then.
    And that’s what Jurassic World: Dominion does; fails on all counts.

19. fireproof78

Happens all the time. But that's not me "shutting my brain off" in response to the film. It's me engaging with it as presented and some times it works, and sometimes it fails.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it overall, but it wasn't anything spectacular. It's nowhere near as good as the first Park and World, which are still my two favorite movies in the franchise.
    It had some cool scenes, some funny lines, and it was a lot of fun seeing the two casts come together.
    I do agree with some other people that it would have been nice if we had spent more time with the dinos out in the wild, and dealing with that. Basically if the whole movie had stuck to what we got in Malta, that was my favorite part of the movie.