Janeway and Starfleet

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by John Stefan, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice Captain Captain

Definitely.

YMMV but I choose to assume that VOY salvaged as much of any downed shuttles as possible, especially early on when they didn't want to share technology. I also choose to assume that we didn't see much of Carey after season 1 because Janeway made him the head of the new long-term problem solving department, based on deck 14, which worked on issues such as rebuilding shuttles so they wouldn't run out and making sure they would have enough food. This department reported directly to Janeway but didn't send a representative to the senior staff meetings because those were usually about short-term problems.

I love your idea for Fury and I would love to know what happened to the Ocampa. They only had enough supplies for 5 years but that's at least 2 generations of Ocampa.

Me too.

That's a really cool idea.

Thank you - good ideas. I've decided to pretend this actually happened.

2. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That didn't mean Harry truly believed that he would remain an ensign forever. If Voyager gets home, that command experience he's trying to pick up might allow him to skip a rank or two, or at least compensate for that black mark on his record.

That actually makes a certain amount of sense. Maybe he was periodically present, they just didn't show those particular meetings.

Glad I could be of service. Kind of sad how easily addressed those inconsistencies were.

3. G. H. B. BRAEME

G. H. B. BRAEME Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It seems to me that Starfleet is for Kathryn Janeway, a "priesthood", with a family descending from a career military line, first, her father so, it's no wonder that when the time came, she chose to follow in her father's footsteps, as many young officiers having a parent working for Starfleet as officers. Rules and protocol were very familiar for her. from her childhood.
    Without forgetting her father surely brought some of his colleagues at Janeway's house, where the young Kathryn listened them talking about their experiences .And even if she is a die-hard scientist, that didn't prevent her to follow the Starfleet Academy to lead a successful carrier we know, afterwards.
    I think that Janeway trully believes that Starfleet taught her everything she needed to face difficult situations (this institution became her anchor point around which her private and professional lives turned) and become a great officer..

Summer Solstice likes this.
  4. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Janeway and her role as captain has always been about adaptation to me. Being the lone Starfleet captain in the Delta Quadrant (before she knew about the Equinox) forced her to undergo phases in her role as a starship captain. During Seasons One and Two, she tried to adhere – perhaps a bit too strictly to Starfleet and Federation principles. This may have been fine, but it made her a bit narrow-minded in some ways.

After the events of "Basic", I believe she went to another extreme by being more flexible. Between Seasons Three and Four, I thought she was a bit too flexible at times and this led her to make some questionable choice - like trespassing through another species' territory without their consent in "The Swarm" and forming a very questionable alliance with the Borg in order to deal with Species 8472. I also noticed that during Season Five, she seemed to be in a state of chaos (and sometimes depression) . . . until Voyager's encounter with the U.S.S. Equinox by the end of Season Five. Let's just say that Janeway had reacted badly and perhaps too aggressively to the Equinox crew's actions and dangerously came close to compromising her moral compass.

But after adhering too closely to Starfleet principles in Seasons One and Two, veering a bit too far from those principles in Seasons Three and Four; and being in a state of chaos during Season Five; I believe Janeway had finally began to learn to balance the unusual aspects of her command during Seasons Six and Seven. In fact, during those two seasons, she seemed to be a combination of a military leader, a diplomat and head of state. She also learned to utilize flexible methods to deal with a situation without compromising herself or making any bad decision. By the end of the series, I believe that Janeway had developed beyond a mere starship captain.

Huh. Personally, I have always regarded the Voyager crew as the least "wholesome" or "Starfleet" one in the entire franchise.

5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

They seemed very Starfleet to me.
    Janeway: Bled Starfleet blue. Most of the time.
    Chakotay: Even more Starfleet than Janeway.
    Tuvok: Very Starfleet as well.
    B'Elanna: Conflicted.
    Neelix: Would have seemed perfectly at home in a Starfleet uniform.
    Harry: Fresh out of Starfleet Academy. For seven seasons.
    EMH: He was a physician first, an emerging person second, and not really a Starfleet officer.
    Tom: The Starfleet equivalent of a Naval aviator. For what that's worth.
    Kes/7: Not Starfleet at all.

6. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Now I want someone to do a list of how Starfleet each of the Battlestar Galactica characters were to compare.

7. Tango

Tango Commander Red Shirt

That reminds me of something that I think Quark said about humans.

8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably what he was telling Nog in "THE SIEGE OF AR-558", about taking away their creature comforts and subjecting them to life and death over an extended period of time that they can be as vicious as the most bloodthirsty Klingon.

9. G. H. B. BRAEME

G. H. B. BRAEME Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello guys,
    In speaking about Janeway and Starfleet, look at what I found out :

[SIZE=6]Scale Janeway Figure[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

I LOVE IT !!! :techman:

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Phaser, compression rifle, tricorder, and coffee mug. Everything a good captain needs.

11. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Picard: Fedora.
    Sisko: Baseball.