James Cameron's Avatar Sequels Possible Titles Revealed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. While so called "killer apps" are indeed a thing, you can't support an entire platform on just one piece of media alone. Even after a decade Cameron proved it could be done, 3D entertainment is still very niche and thus for most people, not worth the extra expense.

It's the same problem a lot of new formats run into: the old chicken & the egg paradox. People are unwilling to invest in the hardware unless there's a good catalogue of content available (at reasonable cost), and content makers are unwilling in invest in making or converting media in said platform unless there's a sufficient customer base.

What would have been a game changer (and may yet be at some point) is if the streaming services start offering 3D content as standard, as that'll instantly create a demand.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Streaming is for nerds. Blu rays are what cool people do. :)

Smellmet likes this.
  3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Before the sequel comes in December, next month will see the 4K theatrical re-release of the first movie:

4. thribs

Supposed to be remastered as well with better visual effects

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In anticipation of the re-release, Disney+ has stowed Avatar in its vault. But the joke's on you, Mickey, because I bought the blu-ray used for three bucks two years ago!

... Actually, though the joke really is on me, because I do still want to see the original movie on the big screen again. :p

Ethros, Markonian and Smellmet like this.
  6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I rewatched Avatar today and it is still a great movie. There's still some cheesy line deliveries but it looks and sounds gorgeous. I'm pretty excited for the sequel.

I have a 3D Vizio, but it's about 10 years old now. I'm sure the technology has come a long way. The death of all the 3D channels and the cheap 3D movie conversions put a quick death to the format.

Smellmet likes this.
  7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

All hail our streaming future!

I am curious what the public's interest in this is going to be. My interest has waned quite a bit over the years and I haven't heard much buzz so I'm not sure how to gauge it.

Markonian likes this.
  8. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I am looking forward to the sequel. Any James Cameron film is a major event for me. I might just go watch the original again on the big screen too. I haven't seen it in 3D since the original cinema release.

Markonian likes this.
  9. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Going to have to warm up my big screen and the soundbar and drop in the extended cut again. There's a reason I still buy material copies when I can.

Smellmet likes this.
  10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm very curious about the 4K remaster of the first movie. As I recall, the original movie wasn't just mastered, but was shot in 2k. I'd be surprised if this was just a plain old upscaling with HDR color correction, but anything else would require essentially rebuilding much of the movie from parts a la TNG-R, which, for all I know, they did (and would also allow them to tweak and update elements, there have been a lot of advances in realistic CG characters in the last decade). At the very least, I'm looking forward to A-B comparisons of the old and new versions.

Markonian likes this.
  11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its going to be interesting to see how this sequel goes for them. Even among casual fans I really only see/hear mostly apathetic responses. But, if a Top Gun sequel can make over a billion dollars, I suppose a James Cameron movie can get there even with most people not really even thinking about the franchise in a decade.

12. thribs

I’m hoping this movie will bring back the 3D tech in some TVs. I would like to get a new one but I want 3D as well.

13. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember liking the movie well enough when I saw it. The only time I saw it. That being when it first came out at the cinema. I never wanted a sequel though and I’m completely apathetic towards the idea.

I think this one is going to fall in a bin along with other movies I don’t really see the need for such as Top Gun 2, Ghostbusters 3, Matrix 4 or Bill and Ted 3. I’m happy they exist and I’m glad people enjoy them, but these are stories that closed decades ago for me.

14. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Something to consider is that the sequel was supposed to come out a decade ago. Think about what people were doing a decade ago. The MCU was still in its infancy. Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy had just wrapped up. The Star Wars sequel trilogy hadn’t been made yet, and Star Wars was in the process of being acquired by Disney. Netflix and Hulu were the only notable streaming services around. The audience was probably ready for the sequel then. Anticipation has been around for a while. Its just a question of if it took too long for these films to get them to theatres.

I expect it to do extremely well, despite the wait. it’s a break from superhero movies. And everyone already knows what Avatar is a about. You either like the story and want to see more, or you don’t.

Markonian likes this.
  15. Kai "the spy"

New poster for the re-release:
    [​IMG]

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think that ship has sailed long ago. Even theatres, at least in my area, are no longer offering 3D showings. It would take a massive industry movement for it to gain traction again in TV manufacturers, but I don't see it happening. The sequel might get theatres to show it in 3D, but I think that might be it. It's interesting to notice that even the poster for the re-release makes no mention of 3D.

saddestmoon likes this.
  17. Kai "the spy"

Toys from McFarlane:

saddestmoon likes this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I lost all interest in this movie after hfr was dropped. I see these movies as a long tech demo, and there isn't really any important new tech to demo here.

19. thribs

It’s supposed to have remastered cgi as well.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean the sequels. They were supposed to be 48fps or something, some kind of sweet spot according to Cameron.