J. Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on VOY

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SPCTRE, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dobian

Dobian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: J. Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on

I heard about the feud between Ryan and Mulgrew years ago. It's not uncommon for a supporting cast member or new addition to upstage the official star. We've seen it with Fonzie on Happy Days, Urkel on Family Matters, of course Spock on Star Trek (though he was more of an equal from the start). Sheldon on Big Bang Theory is one of the more recent examples. I guess Mulgrew couldn't handle Voyager turning into 7 of 9 and Friends.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stop talking about me!!

3. teacake

This is the way it usually goes. Someone who didn't like 7 says that all she was about was her boobs, it was a shamless grab at rating for sex, she was a space Barbie. Then you show them the 10,000 tumblr pages dedicated to her, the probably half a million fanfics about her, the art, the facebook groups, the discussions all of which are 90% female generated.. and still you get "she was just about the boobs".

No, she wasn't an empty boob character, she was one of the most developed and interesting characters Trek produced. Her story is touching, painful and not black and white in that she wasn't slobbering after humanity like the EMH and Data.

4. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was absolutely not an empty boob character. Jeri made her memorable and complex. She took what could have swung in a horrible direction and made that character. Mulgrew, self loathing aside, said it "Nobody could have done it better than Jeri Ryan."

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeri's boobs were far from empty.

It's funny to speculate what technology the Borg stuffed into her boobs, and how much of that technology that the Doctor took out, and if for her piece of mind the Doctor maintained the consistency of her boob size, and what he implanted right back in there to replace the nefarious Borg air conditioners or Borg superabacuses that might have been necessary to the collectives survival.

6. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm no fan of Seven of Nine, but I wouldn't disparage the character or the actress. I do think it was a rather obvious ratings ploy, but so was sticking Worf on DS9 and I don't have any problems with that (then again, nobody got fired to make room for him, but I digress).

I think Jeri Ryan is a talented actress and probably did the best she could backstage considering the situation she found herself in. I can understand why Kate Mulgrew would feel betrayed by the firing of Jennifer Lien and the restructuring of an existing show (one she was the star of) around a newcomer after three years of doing things one way with the same group of people, but taking it out on someone just hired to play a part seems fairly unconscionable.

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe because fanfics and tumblr pages are not a good argument when talking about mainstream popularity. Obviously it's a little different when talking about what the general audience enjoyed about the character, versus diehard fans.

No way. I'm just saying that women liking the character doesn't mean her looks and desirability are not a factor in the character's popularity. See: James Bond.

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

Sex appeal is all that matters to women? Their worth is in men finding them desirable?

9. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

everyone saying that it mulgrew who didn't like jeri,but what about roxann?.

10. Guy Gardener

She was going through infertility problems or babies in season 4.

Way too busy to be a meangirl.

11. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Kate Mulgrew, although allegedly expressing regret on her alleged passive aggressive mistreatment of Jeri that made Garret cry years later, is allegedly again being difficult, diva like, and over competitive towards other cast members on Orange is the New Black. Some people can be relatively nice and talented, but still be difficult to stay in the same room as them for too long I suppose (a lot of actors seem to be like that).

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Do you have a source for this?

13. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, never said it's all that matters, just that it is a thing that matters. Just like many men liking James Bond due to his being desired by every woman he meets during his movies and on the cover of magazines.

14. TedShatner10

Here's one source.

No smoke without fire and Hey Hollywood it's not as if actors are not unknown for wanting to be the centre of their own little universe, like any other kind of insecure extrovert. I think Jeri is seen as less trouble compared to other celebrities because she's keeping herself relatively more grounded with a stable family and loads of hobbies.

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

But that's not your position here, as pointed out by teacake up thread.

Hooters in space?

16. teacake

tumblr IS the mainstream. It is the demographic everyone is aiming for, youth.

You are just wrong about 7, both the character herself and the fans relationship to that character. The only people who talk about hooters in space and disparage her are the ones who don't like her, her gazillions of fans do not have that relationship with the character at all.

17. teacake

So if she's so vile why did they all have Thanksgiving together? Why do they all say amazing things about her and she says amazing things about them?

Yeah she probably demanded changes and things get reshot or gave advice, how this is now a "feud" :rolleyes:

18. Guy Gardener

As a couple or as a larger group?

19. TedShatner10

Thanksgiving with which team? I think "vile" is putting it too harshly (otherwise her career would've dried up years ago), but why do rumours about her being allegedly "difficult" at least keep following her from one big show to another? I like her as an actress, but will never know her to properly judge her, but not every performing/creative person has to be uniformly nice and docile (in fact being a bit angry helps). And why do music groups keep breaking up?

20. teacake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.