J. Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on VOY

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SPCTRE, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: J. Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on

I give whoever is in there 5 minutes to get sorted, and then I pee off the balcony.

Of course if someone paid me US$ 40,000 a week not to pee off the balcony, I would seriously consider it.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If someone paid me 40,000 a week to pee off the balcony I would totally do it.

3. Guy Gardener

What would have happened if Jeri had tattled on Mulgrew to H.R.?

When Kim was bad they kicked him off two episodes.

How many episodes would they have asked Mulgrew to sit out for creating a hostile workplace and opening the production up to litigation?

Six episodes? 12?

You would think that Kate would quit before putting up with that?

Maybe she would, maybe she wouldn't?

Either way, it looks like we'd either have yet another stacked blonde or Captain Chakotay for a large chunk of a season

4. Guy Gardener

5. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were just paying homage to the rivalry between Shatner and Nimoy in TOS to bring Star Trek back to it's roots. Although I guess Shatner and Nimoy had a better ending.

6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

The way I imagine it, it was simply a big ego thing. Kate Mulgrew is a bit of a diva (not meant to disparage her, I even think that's a positive thing in a lot of ways - she is incredibly charismatic), so things like this would have been bound to happen with Jeri's arrival.

7. Guy Gardener

The rumour/gossip had been that this was about Jennifer being fired.

Kate's old lady mind concluded that Jeri personally fired Jennifer Lien.

Misdirected rage that she couldn't aim correctly at the producers.

Probably mostly subconscious and she didn't know why she was doing what she was doing until it was too late not to come off as a prime asshole.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I thought Bujold didn't want to wear a silly costume or comit to a childish show for seven years ?

9. Guy Gardener

Yes.

But it took her three days on the set rubbing elbows with the cast to gradually come to that conclusion.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

O.K., I get your drift !

11. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see Bujold on nuBSG more than Voyager. Or on Babylon 5, where you could do those types of stories centered around actual human psychological issues as we know them. Bujold's weighty brooding might have served those series well.

Voy, though, seemed more suited for less existential angst and more of Mulgrew's brand of energy - sort of the shoot from the hip, pithy attitude. All I can say is, mad respect for Geniveve Bujold, and thank the stars Mulgrew took this gig. She absolutely shone in this role.

Casting Jeri was not a bad idea. Insulting the fans' intelligence was.

To Jeri's credit, she took the role above and beyond what she was there to do, (and I'm not just taling about filling out her suit). She created a sympathetic, relatable character despite the dominatrix antagonist the series pushed.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. Guy Gardener

I was being talked at by this girl who was dating a friend of mine the day after a big party, she was cool, got drunk and had sex whenever she felt like (we were both teenagers & this is how we measured status), so she sits down to watch Star Trek with me, but because her opinion is always welcome and needed, like any extremely pretty girls opinions is wanted and needed, she starts to explain how what I am watching is complete shit, and am I positive that this is not an episode of Lost in Space because her father made her watch an episode of Lost in Space once and it was shit just like this, complete shit, and that we really should change the channel.

This is why I like ugly girls better.

They tend to shit on every one around themselves far less.

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Those who were in charge of the show are to blame for the problems.

They created an unpleasant situation by firing Lien and making Seven the star character of the show.

If they had kept Lien and added Seven as a more low-profile character, there wouldn't have been any problems.

14. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How exactly did Braga "fuck over" Robbie McNeill?

Well, for starters, my understanding was they were going to write out Harry at first (hence the deadly infection in "Scorpion" that he recovered from almost immediately in Part 2) until Garrett was profiled in "People".

As for intentionally keeping a character "low-profile", it's hard to do that. An attractive-looking former Borg is kind of hard to downplay. My understanding is that Roddenberry originally wanted them to do that with Worf on TNG, but clearly it didn't work out that way.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I'm fairly certain the "RDM" referenced above is in reference to Ronald D. Moore, whose bad blood with Braga after their short tenure together on Voyager (and later reconciliation) is well documented.

This. Wang was listed that year as one of People's "50 Most Beautiful People" list and the producers realized they had some good PR there, so they chose to keep Kim and axe Kes. But then that's the actual fact of the matter, one Lynx has been unable to wrap his head around for the last decade.

16. Grathon Tolar

Grathon Tolar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There were many questionable production choices on VOY, but this logic doesn't follow. Kes was already a low-profile female character. Adding another would have been the height of wastefulness and redundancy.

17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Years ago I read an interview or a post on the AOL forum or something ... RDM described his experience on VOY after DS9 ended. Paraphrasing, he thought it would be fun to work with his old writing partner again but things had changed. The atmosphere was completely different than on DS9 or TNG. After a while he decided to leave, and the prop guys made a batleth for him and it was presented to him on his last day. Too bad things didn't work out well, but what a sendoff.

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I remember that chat as well. I seem to recall also, somewhere, Ron Moore detailing (though not too much) that Braga had gone behind his back at Voyager and did something which Moore found extremely unprofessional. I feel like at least part of it was, in Moore's estimation, that they had started out together at very much the same level (Moore as a freelancer invited to join the staff at TNG; Braga as an intern who likewise joined the staff) and who by that point, Moore effectively had to work for Braga who was basically running the writer's room or at least one of the top people on Voyager's hierarchy of writer's by the time Moore arrived and that Braga had perhaps let it go to his head.

I could me misremembering, but the general jist of it was just that the writer's room at Voyager was very, very different from that of TNG or DS9 and Moore wasn't prepared for it nor did he enjoy his time there. The fracas with Braga was just the cherry on top of that particular ice cream sundae.

On the Star Trek Generations DVD commentary Moore and Braga did together though, RDM makes it quite clear that any such bad blood between himself and Braga is long since over and that they've made amends with each other.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I am a bitch I always blame Braga, it works pretty well.

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

7 of 9 is the highlight of Voyager. Whether that shook morale or she was banging the boss is "irrelevant" (as 7 would say). The producers have nothing to regret about bringing her on or getting rid of Kes who was not a very interesting character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.