Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Latest scuttlebutt of the "720" is online always/no used games.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

If true they can all it XBox DOA.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a month old, but Sony filed a patent for a technology to block used games.

If Sony and Microsoft do block used games, I have absolutely no interest in those consoles. It's not just the cost, but also the fact that I still buy plenty of games for dead consoles. What If I discover some awesome hidden gem on the PS4 after the system is discontinued? I'll never be able to play it?

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You'd more likely be required to download it.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't even log into Xbox Live on the original Xbox to download content for some of my games like Crimson Skies. Why should I expect full game downloads for every PS4/720 release years after those systems are discontinued? And what if Sony or Microsoft decides to drop out of the console industry? What if aliens invade and wipe out most of the Earth's infrastructure? I'll still want to play God of War V with my portable generator.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I like downloading and Steam and all that stuff but it's nice to know you can get a hard copy when you want one.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I have around 60 Gamecube games. I bought four for full price (Mario, Animal Crossing, Metriod, Zelda), then a couple dozen for $20 or less new. But the rest is a mixture of used and new games that I got for dirt cheap when the system was dying years ago. It's a cool system and I have more fun on it now than most of the newer consoles and that's because used games and old dead systems are really fun for cheap ass gamers.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

A quick Google fails to present any concrete numbers to go with that widespread claim. Everything links back to VGChartz and I somehow doubt Nintendo wouldn't be shouting that sort of figure from the heavens.

Not that I don't expect it to happen at some point mind you, I just don't think anyone can say for certain yet that it has.

I also wonder if that includes the DSi and DSi XL, which introduced new features that weren't available on the previous models. I'm not sure that quite qualifies as all being one pool of sales any more than pooling all of the iPhone sales together, which would in fact make it the #1 "gaming device" ever.

9. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If The HD twins (Sony/Microsoft) disable used games, I'd need for them to make concessions in other areas like price. I'd very rarely buy a new IP for $60. The only reason Steam can get away with it is because the PC platform charges developers no royalties and the fact that there are no used games gives them pricing parity.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Some PC developers do charge console prices. Those prices rarely last though.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

:lol: They're not going to drop prices. Absolutely no way. Don't be surprised if today's $60 price point becomes a $70-80 price point next generation, and bans used games, and requires a constant Internet connection.

Who is this supposed to appeal to? I don't know, the most hardcore of the hardcore, who have oodles of disposable income, I guess.

If Sony and Microsoft do ban used games next generation, it will put Gamestop out of business. Gamestop's profit comes almost entirely from sales of used games and consoles. They make virtually nothing on sales of new product. So, that'd be one less brick-and-mortar outlet for games. Hell, maybe that's what Sony and MS want, so they can force you to download everything, at which point resale is totally moot anyway.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well just look at the Wii-u games, i cant believe that they are retailing them at £50.......add to that the silly high price of even the basic console at £250 and its no wonder its sitting on the shelves.

No way in a hundred years would i drop £50 for a game, i mean a large portion of them are mutiplat guff with only a few triple A titles here and there, which i have no issue supporting at £39.99.......but £50 a pop.....no thank you.

Game publishers must think people have straw sticking out of their ears if they think £50 a game is going to be the norm. lol....and then on top of they then want you to drop more cash on season passes and DLC for that £50 game. lol

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Sounds to me like console manufacturers and game publishers just like ripping off you Brits with a 30% markup (given the exchange rate.) :p

14. Haggis and tatties

^^Nothing new there. lol

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I buy most of my games from the UK and I don't think it's that bad. Most new PS3 games are $60 in the US and £40 in the UK so there really isn't much of a difference The prices over here are terrible though... most new games are close to 70€ (more than £80 / $90).

16. Haggis and tatties

^^^PS3/360 are all at the £39.99 and below mark, they have never really be above that..........Wii-U games on the other hand all seemed to come with that £49.99 price tag.......although funnily enough i have noticed even at Game they have dropped in price about a £5 in the last few weeks.

No doubt that £50 price tag was not helping move many......which would be no surprise. lol.

Though i might be a bit spoiled with the xbox/PS3........i just orders Aliens CM with a Turtle beach xbox headset for £49.99..........i mean talk about a bargain. :)

17. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think most people are going to get XBOX. PS3 is being forgotten.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Uh huh... right. That may be the dumbest thing I've heard all day, and I work with a couple of idiots.

Ah I see, I don't pay any attention to Wii-u prices.

19. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are over 72 million reasons why you're wrong.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, and while I realize that my experience is not necessarily indicative of the whole world, I'd say it's pretty evenly split down the middle between people I know who have PS3 and XBOX.