Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I think online connectivity has actually done a lot of good for consoles. It's purely optional as well, unless a game requires a system update, but for the most part, it's not required to be online the whole time. It means a console is always evolving. Both for the good and bad, I suppose. For example, the new update to the Playstation Store is a huge step back. Slow as molasses and difficult to find things with as the search is totally backwards.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The system hasn't even been announced yet. We don't know what it will or won't do.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure it'd even have the horsepower to pull that off.

Of course, I spent $300 on my PS3, I don't even want to admit what I've put into my new PC... The graphic card alone cost me almost twice that.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The PS4 will have two bluray players and cost $900.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

PS3 remains the single greatest thing I've ever purchased. I look forward to PS4, though I'm honestly not sure what kind of "improvements" it will have that will make it better than my PS3.

6. Kelthaz

I don't even have a PS3 yet. I should pick one up soon.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Likewise.

I don't know if I ever want one. There are maybe five games I'm really itching to play.

Unfortunately, aside from JRPGs and platformers, there really isn't anything I'd just assume play on a PC. And these days both of those are better served on hand-helds.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not a huge gamer either. My PS3 mostly serves at my Blu-Ray player and Netflix machine, but it's nice to be able to play games if I feel like it.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. I don't see why Sony would not make the PS4 backwards compatible. That'd be extremely foolish.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bought it at the right time that it wasn't much more than a blu-ray player (which I didn't have) to get a PS3 which is also a more compatible player than those early ones (even has 3D patched in). It's since been my Netflix player and I use it to watch .mp4/divx files I've downloaded/converted. And eventually I got around to enjoying some games on it. :)

No buyers remorse whatsoever with that purchase.

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were I a bean counter at Sony, I'd be thinking.... "should we let all our customers (moneybags) play their old favorites with their old discs that we no longer profit from or... squeeze them for 10$ per retro title, at no discernible effort on our part."

They are thinking :devil: and that makes me :klingon: while the commentary on console supercorporations is simply :rolleyes:.

I no wanna play anymore. Back to PC gaming, as others suggested. I'm quite looking forward to building one. It's been a long time.

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

At this point I have the Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3. I won't be able to afford to pick up the new ones and from the rumoured specs they're looking much of a muchness in terms of what they'll do. What does interest me is the SteamBox but who knows when that'll come and how much it'll be.

Think I'll be seeing what comes of that before I look at any of them but no doubt I'll be watching the announcements and wanting each and every one of them before the end of the year.

13. Kelthaz

Yup. It'll take some time for the good games to come out, but eventually all three next-gen consoles will be awesome. I'll probably start the generation off with the Wii U since it's had more time to build up a decent library, it's most likely going to be the cheapest of the three consoles, and I can't live without Nintendo's glorious franchises.

So I take it the assumption is that the Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) and the PS4 will be announced at E3?

14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I've got the Wii U only because of a pricing mistake and I got it £100 cheaper than it should have been. But I've been wanting a load of the games they announced recently. As well as ZombiU.

It's looking like Sony will announce soon and MS will announce at E3.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Indeed. I've had mine for about 5 years at this point, so it's one of the original fatty models. My DVD player broke, so I figured I might as well upgrade to Blu-Ray, and at the time standalone Blu-Ray players were still upwards of $300 and didn't yet have WiFi connections, so I figured I may as well get the PS3, which did way more things for exactly the same price.

But that's also why I'm nervous about the PS4. Blu-Ray was the feature that made me buy the PS3, and I already have it. Since Blu-Ray isn't going away any time soon, I'm not sure what PS4 could offer that would make it a "must have," aside from certain newer games that will only be released on that platform (which, for me, likely include the next Batman and Uncharted games).

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

What sells consoles is games, I'm not expecting to see these new consoles to Q4 2014 at the earliest.

For the new Xbox, I would expect Halo 5 to be a launch title. Might as well come out with your big gun.

I would also if I were designing it go with at least a 1Tb Hard drive, more space to make money from DLC. Espically if you want it to become a home hub.

17. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been playing video game since the 70s and I can't begin to state how much I disagree with this.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I player co-op mode with a friend a couple of times a month (on the same machine).

19. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Painful Multi-billion dollar lesson?" :lol:

I think you may have overstated things a little here. Global marketshare between the Xbox 360 and PS3 are more or less equal with several analyst predicting the PS3 to pull ahead in 2013. Considering that the 360 had a year head start and at least $50-100 cheaper than the PS3, I'd call that quite impressive.

While Sony has had a tough time financially over the last few years, the Playstation division is the division bringing Sony out of the cellar.

If Sony should take anything away from $599-gate, I hope that it is that in addition to putting out the Caddilac of game consoles, you'll also need a more sensible entry level model to maintain marketshare. The launch 360 was pretty much barebones and didn't do half the things the launch PS3 could do without being nickeled and dimed to death with peripherals. The PS3 was wi-fi ready out the box, rechargeable controllers, Bluetooth and Blu-ray compatible, large hard drive and free online service. Comparing Microsofts initial offering side by side, $599 didn't sound nearly as absurd in 2006. This is why I choose to get the PS3 first.

One feature I'd like to see on the PS4 is a DVR of some sorts with a quick connection to You Tube, Twitter and Facebook. I'd love to record my gameplay footage and quickly share my experiences.

I'd also like to see more TV services like HBOGo and more make its way to PSN. I know XBox has it, but why would I pay Microsoft $60/year just to pay HBO another $20/month when I could just flip inputs and watch it on cable?

Any more predictions/wishes for PS4?

20. Kelthaz

As of February 2011, Sony had lost $4.7 billion dollars on the Playstation 3.

Yes, this article is two years old, but the PS3 has not made $5 billion profit over the last two years to even things out. The Playstation 3 (and the Xbox 360) did not make money. They lost billions.

And here's an article from last month. Sony has lost $4.951 billion on the PS3 and Microsoft has lost $2.996 billion. Yes, both these systems had a fantastic library of games for us gamers, but from a financial point of view they were complete bombs. The hardware issues from the 360 (RROD's) and the overpriced, supercomputer that was the PS3 led to massive losses.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013