Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Well this is Meeting 2013.

Meeting 2011 announced the PS Vita and Meeting 2005 announced the PS3.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well we all know the PS4 and new XBox are coming sometime. The only question is the date.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're gonna introduce the controller-less Move 2. :lol:

Or the return of the six-axis.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I have little doubt that Sony will show off the PS4 and this means Microsoft will be playing catch up but then again with how Sony advertised PSVita and priced it they could well screw up the launch of the PS4.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup, it seems about that time. Let's hope Sony learned their painful, multi-billion dollar lesson from the PS3 and refrains from releasing yet another overpriced supercomputer. Of course, given the Vita, that seems unlikely.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've come to appreciate the PS3 with time. Blu-Ray, laptop HD upgrades, bluetooth, free internet services, etc. I bet over time people paid as much for that 360 as the PS3 though I understand the initial sticker shock. Mind you I bought a slim so my perspective probably isn't the same as those first buyers.

Timing is everything so it will be interesting to see. Sega made a big mistake dropping the Saturn early and then the really nice Dreamcast came out before the PS2 and X-Box. They need to be careful not to have a 360 successor release later with more horsepower and bury their lead.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The PS3's steep price was driven largely by two things: its exotic, proprietary architecture, and Sony's insistence on using it as a Trojan Horse for the Blu-ray standard. If they learned anything at all, the next system should use either a more standard architecture, or a minor iteration of the Cell architecture, and keep the BR drive (maybe go to a higher-capacity BR, if such is available.) That should help keep costs down and make the system easier to develop for--two problems that hobbled the PS3's launch.

9. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any news/ideas on ps4 vs. xbox720 specs?

10. Robert Maxwell

Given that neither has been announced (as far as I know), any specification would be pure speculation. ;)

11. Mr. Adventure

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If either the new Xbox or PS4 require online connections there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I will ever buy them, I don't care how incredible the software is, nothing doin' PERIOD.

13. Robert Maxwell

The consoles may not "require" it, but they may be practically useless without it. Sony and Microsoft do not care even a little that some people will forego the console on that basis. It's not enough people to matter.

14. Mr. Adventure

It will be interesting to see what they pull out because I think it will be a nice evolution but maybe not the revolution seen from going to early 3D with PSX, mature 3D with the PS2/XBox, HD visuals/strong online with the 360/PS3. I'm not sure these new systems will be game changers so much as a necessary upgrade.

15. Robert Maxwell

I think it's a virtual guarantee that this generation won't be a huge leap in terms of console specs. What you may see is more innovation with peripherals, much like Nintendo did with the Wii U (e.g. the touchscreen controller), and more in the way of online/social media integration.

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I fully realize that, just throwing my opinion in the ring. I know the glory days of gaming, the golden age is long behind us and now we have mindless, cheap apps and shallow MMORPGs. Everything is geared towards "social interaction" which is truly a contradiction since everyone is sequestered in their basements as they play (anyone remember local area connection sessions? Or even "two player mode?")

17. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think online connections have a utilitarian use because videogames can now be updated/fixed whereas you could only do that with computer games in the old days.

18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm with you. However, I completely disagree with you that gaming is worse today. If anything I'd say that we're in the golden age of gaming right now; just because we don't enjoy it doesn't change that.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to leave consoles behind and return to PC gaming. The PS4 doesn't even support PS3 games. Didn't bother me back then with PS2 games since I didn't own any. Now I do, and backwards compatibility should be a given.

So, out I am.

And I probably shouldn't have compared the PC and PS3 graphics of games like Crysis 2, GTA IV or the Assassin's Creed games.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:confused: