I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

I’m puzzled why he would put a turbo loft control panel there…. I’d imagine they’re a main in engineering. More useful would be a head (rest room). Or , maybe I say that as I’m at a certain age where if I drink too much ice tea at lunch I die in the afternoon meetings.

I’m puzzled why he would put a turbo loft control panel there…. I’d imagine they’re a main in engineering. More useful would be a head (rest room). Or , maybe I say that as I’m at a certain age where if I drink too much ice tea at lunch I die in the afternoon meetings.
He has plans to put several restrooms around the Bridge

The largest real-life cruise ship, Icon of the Seas, will have a maximum capacity of 7600 passengers, and 2854 lavatories for them. [The crew of 2350 and their facilities will be separate.]

It seems like having 1000 lavatories in a starship that holds 500 people is far beyond what comfort requires, and it would be a trade-off in other resources that could have been available.

It seems like having 1000 lavatories in a starship that holds 500 people is far beyond what comfort requires,
If you thought regular plumbing stopped up too easily, imagine facilities with no pipes. (All those razor-thin walls and floors.) And you'll understand why they need all the extras.

If you thought regular plumbing stopped up too easily, imagine facilities with no pipes. (All those razor-thin walls and floors.) And you'll understand why they need all the extras.
The walls on the Enterprise from TOS were thick and stuffed full of pipes!
3oNdIJB.png

The walls on the Enterprise from TOS were thick and stuffed full of pipes!
I was actually thinking of that same scene... pipes that stop above the floor! But in the very same episode Kirk and Spock seriously ding the wall of Rand's quarters when Charlie telekinetically flings them aside.

I was actually thinking of that same scene... pipes that stop above the floor! But in the very same episode Kirk and Spock seriously ding the wall of Rand's quarters when Charlie telekinetically flings them aside.
Nah, that wall was already damaged. Spock just coincidentally happened to fall there :devil:

There are some saving graces though. The camera is locked off at that lower angle and doesn't move so it could be argued that the pipes stopping above the floor is an optical illusion. The pipes could instead run into the horizontal red block and the dark block underneath is a cover for the same pipes.

Also regarding the dinged wall of Rand's quarters we do know that the force was strong enough to also break Spock's legs when Charlie pushes them back. This is despite it looking like a very slow push. So it could be argued that Charlie's reality-breaking powers damaged the wall and Spock. Charlie was pretty explicit in not wanting to hurt Kirk so he got off lightly. YMMV.

There are some saving graces though. The camera is locked off at that lower angle and doesn't move so it could be argued that the pipes stopping above the floor is an optical illusion. The pipes could instead run into the horizontal red block and the dark block underneath is a cover for the same pipes.
Thankfully it's a locked off shot so we can imagine that the lower panel (below) is actually a reflective surface that only appears to be inset ;)
Qvcax2J.png

The cinematographers knew they had "TV safe" to play with back then. Surprisingly, many HDTVs come from the factory in "overscan," and it's a PITA to find the menu item to turn that off sometimes. (Most of my clients are using these big monitors as computer displays, say for Tricasters. So the overscan is a nuisance.) Of all the legacies of old TV, this one is the hardest to justify these days. Why keep doing it?

I disagree with Mr. Trek’s approach (and some of his proportions look way off), but what he is doing certainly stirs the imagination.
His next video "fixes" the deck four exterior profile, but I agree with you, Mr. Trek is creating his own Enterprise interior (he envisions his Enterprise as a slight refit for a hypothetical fourth season) which doesn't match the show's interiors. For example, the bridge has two more exits, one door on each side of the viewscreen, and an expanded services area around the bridge's perimeter. It's gonna be a "fatter" bridge blister on top of the saucer.

Personally, I don't think the FJ design is a good representation of the TOS Enterprise...

Personally, I don't think the FJ design is a good representation of the TOS Enterprise...
Yeah, I think that’s why there are odd proportions. FJ was a little too beholden to the deck count in the text of the Making book, even though Jeffries cross-section doesn’t agree. It works better if decks 5/6 are the main saucer decks, not 6/7. I don’t know why he didn’t start from the plans of the guy who designed the thing…

Yeah, I think that’s why there are odd proportions. FJ was a little too beholden to the deck count in the text of the Making book, even though Jeffries cross-section doesn’t agree. It works better if decks 5/6 are the main saucer decks, not 6/7. I don’t know why he didn’t start from the plans of the guy who designed the thing…
If there was a definitive set of blueprints and designs, what the heck would we be talking about all these years?

the ambiguity has been an aide to stimulate discussion

Because that's not where his research took him.

Keep in mind that the size of the Enterprise and how many decks should be in the saucer was constantly changing and evolving over the course of the series.

Overall the 11 deck saucer works quite well with most of the throwaway lines regarding what's where etc. only the deck 5 location for Sickbay works better for an 8 deck saucer, with deck 5 being one of the main decks.

The 11 deck saucer seems to be a compromise between the 8 deck saucer Jefferies originally intended, and the 20 deck saucer suggested in a few early scripts and an early rev of the writers guide from about the same time.

I think Fontana added the 11 deck saucer to the 3rd (and final) rev of the writers guide in order
to impose some order on the chaos.

Last edited:
Lowering the bridge gives you a bit of wiggle room. The FJ bridge is a very significant fraction of the saucer width, so that helps keep it towards 947 feet. The production 11 ft bridge bump is smaller, so you have to shove the bridge down—which I think Matt intended.

This is working from Jefferies’s own cross section. If you count the upper and lower sensor domes as accessible decks - which is what I have made them here - then you have 11 decks. I think the number eleven is simply based on his reference cross section, with people not realizing that those domes probably shouldn’t be counted as “decks”. But maybe they should. In the case of my version, it makes sense to count them as decks.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/web/1701-cutaway.jpg

Back