I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

Oddly, if I subtract the nacelles and aft landing strut I get a main hull between 24 and 25 feet, which kinda gels with Kirk’s throwaway line about a 24ft. shuttlecraft.

Can you recheck that @Warped9? When I look at the Galileo shuttle as seen on screen the nacelles barely extend beyond the main hull. Is it the landing strut on your model that extends a couple of feet out?

EDIT: I looked again and it doesn't seem that the aft landing strut adds to the length of the Galileo shuttle. If you subtract the nacelles and aft landing strut you would not get a substantial reduction in length and your shuttle should already have been close to 24 or 25 feet, IMHO.

@BK613 - perhaps you are thinking of Phil Broad's 28' shuttle?

Last edited:
The Galileo interior not only had a ceiling height well above Spock's six feet, it also had a machinery layer under the floor that Scotty could reach down into. And its length included an impressive aft compartment.

Do we know the actual length of the studio mockup? Jefferies might have said somewhere it was 3/4 scale, which would give us his idea of the full-sized exterior.

The Galileo interior not only had a ceiling height well above Spock's six feet, it also had a machinery layer under the floor that Scotty could reach down into. And its length included an impressive aft compartment.

Do we know the actual length of the studio mockup? Jefferies might have said somewhere it was 3/4 scale, which would give us his idea of the full-sized exterior.

I did measure it when we worked on it, I will dig the measurements up but I think it was 24' feet

This article says the Galileo mockup is 23 feet (7 meters) in length. According to the size comparison below, it's a bit smaller -- just under 21 feet.
90h9AoK.jpg

This article says the Galileo mockup is 23 feet (7 meters) in length. According to the size comparison below, it's a bit smaller -- just under 21 feet.
90h9AoK.jpg
I worked up this drawing many years ago when I was working out an integrated “real” shuttlecraft.

Here is where I posted it originally May 10th, 2006. https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/my-tos-shuttlecraft.31724/page-6

Here is a little something else to look at.

I answered this over on Hobbytalk, but I'll repeat my answer here.

My "smaller" version of the ship comes out to 26.427 ft. with a 5.75 ft. ceiling. My first attempt at this started out at near exactly 26 ft. from nose to trailing edge of the aft landing pad. It was at this point that I accidently realized that at that size the length of the main hull from nose to end (and excluding the nacelles) came out to 24.088968 ft. However at the scale the ceiling height was a very tight 5.644 ft. and that's excluding the overhead lighting panel. I subsequently tinkered to arrive at a 26.427 ft. ship with the main hull then being 24.485 ft.--still close enough for Kirk to round off and say "A twenty-four foot shuttlecraft." The reference could conceiveably mean that the length of a ship's mail hull excluding "add ons" like engines and landing gear and whatever. Yes, it's a rationalization, but it isn't an unreasonable one. And I must say that the ship looks right at this scale even though the interior is certainly tighter than what we saw onscreen. It's on this basis, though, that I think MJ certainly understood that the full-size mock-up was undersized as built and an actual size reference was put into the script while the reference itself was not specific.

WebScutaway2.jpg

Last edited:
Of course it does. Because, even after 50+ years of doing it, figuring that stuff out is part of the hobby, part of the fun. At least to some of us.
Then please don't roll your eyes at my statement, just because I take a different tack.

Then please don't roll your eyes at my statement, just because I take a different tack.
Hmm. Your responses didn't read as taking 'a different tack.' They read as you being deliberately obtuse as I tried to clarify what I had originally said. If that's not the case...then maybe we both need to work on our communication skills.

I perused through that old thread of mine when I was working this out. Man, that was a lot of work, but also a lot of satisfying fun. I recall doing all that on my old white 17in. Apple eMac computer using Illustrator and Photoshop.

Good times.

What was Gary Kerr's final decision on the size for the Polar Lights shuttle model? 29 feet?

What was Gary Kerr's final decision on the size for the Polar Lights shuttle model? 29 feet?

I think if you are going to fit anything like the interior into it, which I think was always their plan, it has to be at least 29’.

And if you want it that big, then you really have to resize the ship, because it ain’t gonna fit. And certainly in no way that looks anything like what was seen in the original FX.

The whole resizing the ship thing really begins with that nutty, mal-sized shuttle.

Last edited:
I perused through that old thread of mine when I was working this out. Man, that was a lot of work, but also a lot of satisfying fun. I recall doing all that on my old white 17in. Apple eMac computer using Illustrator and Photoshop.

Good times.
Yeah, that was a fun little rabbit hole to dive down this morning. :techman:
Slightly before my first post here and some of the folks that were posting...

@blssdwlf I'm guessing that I conflated Broad's 28' with that drawing from @Warped9 because I have seen both before.

I looked through some more files I collected over the years and David Winfrey's and Allen Everhart, Jr's blueprints both have their Galileo shuttles at 29'. In both cases their nacelles added about 0.3' to the overall length and the aft landing strut none. I suspect that is because in some shots the aft landing strut doesn't extend as far out as the miniature has it. Also, the strut doesn't always appear when in flight...

@Warped9 - you probably could safely ignore the aft landing strut altogether as it seems to be an adjustable/retractable gear, IMHO.

Hmm. Your responses didn't read as taking 'a different tack.' They read as you being deliberately obtuse as I tried to clarify what I had originally said. If that's not the case...then maybe we both need to work on our communication skills.
Probably so because it was not meant obtuse.

But, whatever. I'm sure you know better than I. :beer:

Okay, so I rechecked my 3D model.

When I drew up my initial schematics my design measured out at 8.0549 metres L.O.A. or 26.426837 ft. (26'-5 1/8"). The 3D model forced me to revise the size (due to a small error I had in my drawings) so the present measurement is 8.299679 metres L.O.A. or 27.22992 ft. (27'-2 3/4").

So my shuttlecraft went up 9 5/8" in length. And that allows for a 5'-9" interior ceiling. The length of the interior cabin (nose to aft cabin wall) is 19.276678 ft. (or 19'-3 5/16").

Removing the nacelles and aft landing strut subtracts about 2.5 ft. from the overall length, so you have a main hull under 25 ft. (about 24’-8”).

Close enough?

Last edited:
Back