If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Aug 15, 2013.

?

If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

1. Yes

86.7%
  2. No

13.3%
  1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If written well with good characters, and if it were more of a serial nature like DS9 or season 3 Enterprise, I would definitely love a 25th century Star Trek TV series. I would love to see the politics of the Alpha quadrant after the destruction of Romulus. Would it resemble Star Trek Online? Would it be different? So much story there to tell, and I would be far more interested in that, than an Abramsverse TV series, that likely wouldn't feature Kirk and crew anyway.

The Abramsverse may have revitalized Star Trek and is making more money than Trek previous films, but they also are far more expensive to make, too.

If Star Trek returned to the small screen, the budget and FX would be more like that of BSG, and if written well, there is no argument that convinces me that continuing the Abramsverse on TV INSTEAD OF the Prime universe in the 25th century would be more interesting.

I like the Abramsverse movies fine, but I really could care less what happens in that universe, beyond the characters. In the prime universe, I want to know more about everything!

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Lets not start with 'whichever timeline is dead', plus Kirk is alive in the 24th century in the books after "Generations", and could be alive in the 25th (knowing him, he'll cheat death indefinitely).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

With two movies that have done 900+ million dollars combined, I'd say general audiences disagree with you. :p

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both died, but got better. And Spock is so not dead, there are now two of him!

5. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

If you don't want Kirk and Spock, then you don't actually want what actually matters in Star Trek.

You may aswell have a new sci TV show based on a new universe, worlds, races, characters, gadgets etc.

Because anything else with a Star Trek label is a diluted spin-off which is doomed for failure.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

This isn't a 'which movie made more' thread but does your comparison take prices of movie tickets as time progresses in effect? Movie tickets cost more (not to mention 3D and RealD up-pricing). It's also hard to compare the number of tickets sold as there is more people alive today than there was back then.

Tell that to the 7 seasons of Next Generation.
    Doubtful. Even Voyager, which was no where near starfleet, had references to previous mythos.
    Tell that to the 7 seasons of Next Generation.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

And my statement has nothing to do with which movie made more. But that Kirk and Spock definitely aren't dead as far as general audiences go.

8. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Oh dear, I dont think you get it at all, and you still think this is 1995.

Your sentlements of TNG/VOY/DS9 is just that, sentlement. And perhaps you can gather together a few hundred fans who want that type of Trek on TV, but at the cost of repelling millions of other potential viewers.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Kirk and Spock are fictional characters. Fictional characters never die.

10. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I would watch it but I hope it would be in the original timeline.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

How would making a 25th century show automatically repel millions of viewers, and how is your "Because anything else with a Star Trek label is a diluted spin-off which is doomed for failure" not sentiment?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

What, exactly, is "sentlement"??

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I meant sentiments, and blame copy and pasting.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah. Gotcha.:bolian:

I figured it might have been a typo, but wasn't sure.

15. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

While I'd give a 25th century Star Trek spin-off a fair chance, I'd be much more interested in one of these than any new Star Trek spin-off, sequel, prequel, reboot or remake.

16. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

"Star Trek Online" offers an interesting premise for another series; Romulus and Remus destroyed, with the Romulans forming rival factions. Starfleet has ordered that ships help in any way possible with civilian Romulans.

The Klingons, seeing an opportunity for invasion, enter Romulan space and claim several systems as there own. Conflict is inescapable, and the Klingons break the century-long treaty with the Federation and attack Starfleet.

The Borg are reading there forces, to return in the 3rd or 4th season.

The Dominion, the Tholians, and the Cardassians would play in eventually as well.....

17. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

None of which is a premise for a series. It's backstory at best. Not even particularly interesting backstory.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I never played it though I'm sure it's interesting to the people playing it, but a new series does need fresh ideas. Tie-ins are great (the only thing I liked about Enterprise) and I'd hope a 25th century Star Trek would have alot of them, but I'd rather the focus be something completely new.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I think what he means is that back in the late '90's it would have been fine to create a Trek show with new characters on a new ship, because it was a) syndicated, and b) the highest rated show on the lowest rated network. But now, those models aren't really viable anymore. The general viewing public will be what makes or breaks a Trek series today, and the general public will not care about a new crew or ship. It's Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise that will draw them in, as has been proven with the films.

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^For now, true, but what happens when those new fans get tired of Kirk and Spock, a reboot reboot with NuNuKirk and NuNuSpock?